• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shenley Fields

Im trying to find ouy if my grandfather and his siblings went to Shenley Fields,If he did it would have been from about 1920 onwards they may have known each other, My grandfather didnt speak about the home he was in but his brothers daughter said it was Shenley Fields, I dont know if any of them attended this reunion, Sorry if you think its a cheek but it would be nice to see the photos.

hi,Elanie, try to get jill plumbleys, book..on the homes,..100,years.. try your library. they may order you a copy.. the fotos i have are from a reunion in 1974,...shenley fields,... ...ok.. cheers,...christy.

Hi, I am looking for my sister Mary johnson, sometimes known as Tess or Tessa.
She was in Shenley fields Children's home somewhere between 1950/1962.
Does anyone remember her please? If you do, have you any idea what became of her please?
I have been searching for her for 7 years.

Many thanks

Rosy

The Birmingham Archives and Heritage have started a project called "The History of Childrens Homes in Birmingham", which is to be based on the memories of people who have lived or worked in any of the childrens homes and the project is funded by the Heritage Lottery fund.

They are hoping to develop an archive of materials and photographs relating to all the childrens homes within Birmingham thus creating a valuable archive of historical materials and facts which will greatly assist others in the future who may be looking for information either about the history of a childrens home or details about an ancestor who may have lived or worked in one of the homes.
Now on line, never knew there were so many children's homes in Birmingham.

https://www.connectinghistories.org.uk/childrenshomes.asp

Thanks Colin B.

Trouble is, we hope very much Mary is still living. As she would be 65yrs now.
So i couldn't class her as an ancestor. But a sibling.

But thanks
Rosy

Although the dates are wrong there may be a connection somewhere, my grandfather, James Woodcock and his brother Frank were admitted to Shenley Fields sometime during the first decade of the twentieth century, around 1907, James was born in Pensnett in about 1903 and his mothers name was Lizzie Woodcock, father unknown, James and Frank were at Shenley fields until their teens when they left. James learnt to drive horse drawn wagons at Shenley, a skill at which he excelled most of his life. He never spoke in detail about his time at Shenley. He died in Leamington Spa in the seventies.

can any one remember a ronald pitts, who was in shenley fields in 1968 i knew him, but often wonder what happend to him. pam x

My Grandfather and his siblings were put into Shenley fields in the early 1920's so they may have known each other. My grandfather didn't really talk much about his time there.
regards Elaine

How wonderful it would have been for the men and women who had lived at Shenley Fields to have met and spoken with each other - perhaps it would have been easier for them to speak with people who also lived and shared similar experiences. I posted (as Peterz) in 2010 that my father 9born 1919) was there from the mid /late 1920's until he was 16. My father and I did go to the meeting set-up by Jill Plumley for ex Shenley Fields people.

Hi Peter, I now have the book one hundred years of shenley fields, there is a picture at the back of the reunion they had in the 70's. My grandfather did not attend, but his twin brothers did, so I was amazed to see the two of them in the middle of the picture, I bet they met up with people that they had not seen for many years, for some it may have been an emotional experience

Hello Elaine, crumbs was it the 1970's. Did they also have a further reunion in the 1980's. Anyway I attended one with my dad and mum. I am sure many attended to talk and others, perhaps, just wanted to be there, connected in some way to their past which may not have been great but still important memories. My dad also attended the 'Royal School for the Deaf and Dumb', which was also residential, during term time.

yes me and my brother trevor & michael tomkinson were in the home then i must state this was a evil home run by cruel people

Mick - It is very sad to hear that you and your brothers experienced cruelty and were treated so badly.

Carolina - thanks for the picture.

I knew many from Shenley Homes, at both my schools from Bartley Green, and Weoley castle, they often spoke of cruelty, intimidation and corruption

Hi my name is Diane Shakespeare i was in Shenley Field Home in 1953 or 54. they was not very nice. when i was in there was a set of twins all they done all day was rock backward and foreward saying who backer. i was smacked for sucking my thumb they was not very nice

Hi all myself and two sisters went to shenley fields in 1966 I was there till 1973 .one of the houses i was in was the Trees in would love to talk to anyone who was there at that time. I would also like to hear from anyone who might have been in in the home with my two sisters their names are Jackie and Josephine Thomas. Any information would be great. Thanks.

How wonderful it would have been for the men and women who had lived at Shenley Fields to have met and spoken with each other - perhaps it would have been easier for them to speak with people who also lived and shared similar experiences. I posted (as Peterz) in 2010 that my father 9born 1919) was there from the mid /late 1920's until he was 16. My father and I did go to the meeting set-up by Jill Plumley for ex Shenley Fields people.
Could u give me anymore information on meetings set up for shenley fields please ?

Back