• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shenley Fields

Kathi Burrell

Shenley fields Childrens home (woodcock lane birmingham)

HEllo my names trevor tomkinson and i was in Shenley fields from about 1965 until 1974 i stayed in the trees home first mrs bowes then i was placed in ryedale under mr and mrs stephenson anybody there around that time feel free to contact me

[email protected]

regards
treva2

Hi Trevor,
I were in number 12 Maryland with Mr and Mrs Ruhorn.

Desmond brookes

Hi I was in shenly from 1946 to1951 I lived with Mrs parry and her dog Peggy I had good and bad times they were brutal on times and loving other times

Desmond brookes

Does anyone remember Mrs parry house 9 I think she had a dog called Peggy who was blind then she took over roundlea road had good and bad days

Missy74

proper brummie kid
I've just recently discovered that my grandfather and possibly his brother were in shenley fields cottages homes at kings norton I believe from 1939.
Albert David little
Ernest f little
it has been very difficult to research these relatives so if anyone has any tips on finding more info that would be great
TIA

Missy74

proper brummie kid
Thanks everybody for all your useful information. I think my mother went to Shenley Fields in 1936 - 1940 when she was evacuated to South Wales. I have spoken to Jill and she is sending me a copy of her book. My mother's maiden name is Dorothy Jean Williams. She was born at 77 Dudley Road, which I know is an institution address - hospital/workhouse. Her mother was Dorothy Miriam Williams.
Diane :)
My grandfather and maybe his brother were in shenley fields from 1939 onwards
Albert d little
Ernest f little.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Missy74

Certainly your grandfather was there at the date of the 1939 Register and the person listed after him, possibly his brother, is blocked out and does not appear in searching. Your grandfather's date of birth is given as 5 December 1925. If that is his brother and he is no longer alive and you can prove his death, you could apply to have that unblocked. As to the whereabouts of the Shenley Fields records and their public accessibility, I don't know, but perhaps another member does.

Maurice

Missy74

proper brummie kid
Missy74

Certainly your grandfather was there at the date of the 1939 Register and the person listed after him, possibly his brother, is blocked out and does not appear in searching. Your grandfather's date of birth is given as 5 December 1925. If that is his brother and he is no longer alive and you can prove his death, you could apply to have that unblocked. As to the whereabouts of the Shenley Fields records and their public accessibility, I don't know, but perhaps another member does.

Maurice
Hi, thank you for your response..it seems to be a pretty fractured family at that point. I think their mother died during the birth of her third son and the father maybe put the boys into care as I have a record of them all living at one address in 1930 but in 1935 there is only the father listed there and my g/father as you know is listed at shenley fields in 1939.
His brother died in 1995 unfortunately It seems that mebbe they were separated at Shelley fields and went on to live much different lives with very little or no contact between them :(

Paper_Flower

Hi. I know that my grandmother worked at Shenley Fields briefly in possibly the 60s or 70s, but I don't know many other details. I don't suppose any one remembers her? Her name was Margaret Cooper, she was Welsh but had lived in Birmingham for most of her life.

Hi all myself and two sisters went to shenley fields in 1966 I was there till 1973 .one of the houses i was in was the Trees in would love to talk to anyone who was there at that time. I would also like to hear from anyone who might have been in in the home with my two sisters their names are Jackie and Josephine Thomas. Any information would be great. Thanks.
Hello
Hi Trevor,
I were in number 12 Maryland with Mr and Mrs Ruhorn.
I was at the Trees for a few weeks in 1965 or it might have been 1966. I remember Ma Bowes having a go at me for being snobby and ignorant. I found out years later that I am deaf!!. I was sent to the on site hospital when I had tonsillitus and a raging fever.