• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shenley Fields

hi jacqueline, i do hope you get the book its our history to, i bet you that you will not put this book down, it is 100, year,s of people,s live,s like oliver twist,also there was famous M,P who was a manager of shenley- field,s in the 70,s i will not say her name only her [quote of the day] she did not like EGG,S,,you will see her letter from the house,s of common,s in the book,, cheero, christy

Hi all, I have just spoken to Jill Plumley regarding the purchase of her book - she tells me that she has about 50 left out of a run of 4000, so that's not bad.
Looking forward to reading it as my mom was at Shenley Fields and although she never once spoke about life in the home we know she spent her childhood there in the 1920s.

my dad was in the home from 1945 to 1953 he was in ryedale home 10 his name was Leslie Fream , doe's any one remember him , as he passed away 16 years ago , and would love to know if any body remembered him.

fream,if you go back one page, there is jill number, give her a buzz, she worked there in the 1970,s. she has wrote a book, she will tell you the info you need? ok. my grand father was there 1915-1928,[jack preen] he had a reunion in 1974, back at the homes,[shenley-fields,] i have the photos, from it,...all the best,....christy..

hi all
I remember shenley fields house in weoley castle, my very first girlfriend came from there Mavis 1960, can't remember her surname, she said everyone was very kind in her house?
we would go in the evenings to Ilmington school playing fields and play football and meet up with loads of kids from there.
regards
paul stacey

My Dad used to start talking about times in the early 1920's when he was put in Shenley Fields, and had a hard time there. As a youngster I didn't have much interest about it. Now wish I had listened:(

hi,ya,oldmohawk. times were hard? in them homes, my grandfather was only a young kid when he ended up there & came out a man, he to never talked much of the homes,if you what records you have to get intouch with b,ham social servives. or go down to [kew] in london, there they have the register of kids in the homes, you can take copys. or go back a page & phone jill for a copy of her book, its a 100,years history of the cottage homes, its full of photos, & storys, of past peoples, who were there? if you need any help give us a buzz,..take care,....christy..

hi fearm
most of us lads that was in the homes went to ilmington school depending what religion you was the home had a mix of kids boys girls and age most went to a home called the trees for a month or so then they moved them to other homes in the same complex or some would go to erdington c/h most of the kids in the home was put there by birmingham c/department most was in need of care and protection some was just not wanted and some had no family the tree s was run by a mr and mrs bows they was your mum and dad they was kind and understanding and if you needed any thing you got it most of us kids had a job to do in the homes like helping the little ones peeling spuds or cleaning shoes and if you was older you went and put coke on the boiler for the heating and hot water but all in all they cared for you and they was all ways there for you i was there in the 50s

Thanks everybody for all your useful information. I think my mother went to Shenley Fields in 1936 - 1940 when she was evacuated to South Wales. I have spoken to Jill and she is sending me a copy of her book. My mother's maiden name is Dorothy Jean Williams. She was born at 77 Dudley Road, which I know is an institution address - hospital/workhouse. Her mother was Dorothy Miriam Williams.
Diane :)

Hi. We had two great uncles sent to Shenley Fields. Not because they were orphans but because they were placed there by their mother unable to cope with poverty after their father was injured in an industrial accident. Birmingham library archive has governors books which can be accessed.

Will give Birmingham Library Archive a try. Thanks! :grinsmile:

Because of the nature of the records, the books are under the 100 year law, though. anything after 1909 is off limits. sorry, should have mentioned that.

Thanks Siouxsie. :wave: I couln't access the site today for some reason. My poor ICT skills I expect!
Feeling really pleased with myself as I've managed to trace my grandmothers birth certificate and a copy should arrive tomorrow! Am now trying to locate the census records for 50 Regent Road, Handsworth, Birmingham U.D. This address is on my mother's birth certifiacte given as my grandmother's residence. I've had no luck tracing it. Would love to know who else lived in the house.

i contacted the archives and heritage service at central library looking for the records of my grandmother who we believe spent some time at shenley fields and they put me in touch with the support after adoption services who deal with the records of all the childrens homes in birmingham the number is 0121 464 1080 and the lady to speak to is karen cartwright she told me what documents to send including the birth marriage and death certificates for my grandmother and id for myself but warned that it could take 6 to 8 weeks before i get a reply

Thanks! I have now made contact with Karen and I am waiting to see if anything come of her search.

As Joyce Woodcock, I was evacuated to Mountain Ash with a sister called Brenda, sometime between 1943 & 1945. I was born at the end of 1942, and Brenda would have been around 8 or 9.
I was returned to Shenley Fields in 1945. I was too young to remember anything, and hope that someone out there, remembers me and/or my sister, or indeed any other Woodcocks around this time.
I am anxious to fill in gaps prior to my adoption in 1948, and would like to hear from other people who were in Mountain Ash.
I cannot say whether I was placed in a home there, or with a family.

Hello Joyce, I will speak to my mother tomorrow to see if your name rings any bells. My mother would have been about 9 when you went back to Shenley Fields. Mountain Ash is a small town so perhaps an article/letter in the local newspaper might jog memories. What do you think?

Many thanks - Hope your mother can remember us. I have just remembered the name Miss O'Grady. Does this name mean anything? Was she at Shenley Fields or possibily Mountain Ash . Could she have been a Housemother ?

Back