• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shenley Fields Home

Lisa Buckley

proper brummie kid
Does anyone know if there are any records about for children that were there please? and if so where i could find them.
Thank you.

Does anyone know if there are any records about for children that were there please? and if so where i could find them.
Thank you.
Hello Lisa, I tried at the Birmingham Library recently and the records there were closed for 100 years, however, there is a lady who may conduct a search for you. Karen Cartwright can do a search but she is busy and it might take some time before she get's round to your search. Karen did a search for me of Shenley Fields and I am still waiting for her to complete a search of Marston Green Cottage Homes . Hope this helps. CHINCH

hello chinch wonder if you could confirm that when they say the records are closed for 100 years does that mean from the date of the birth of the person you are researching?? this is what i was led to believe because after that date the person is no longer expected to be alive..or is it from the date when the person went into the home

thanks

lyn

hello chinch wonder if you could confirm that when they say the records are closed for 100 years does that mean from the date of the birth of the person you are researching?? this is what i was led to believe because after that date the person is no longer expected to be alive..or is it from the date when the person went into the i was led to believe because after that date the person is no longer expected to be alive..or is it from the date when the person went into the home

thanks

lyn

Hi Astonness, no, I think the 100 years applies to the date of the last record, so if the records date for example, 1900-1954 then the 100 years applies to the last date, so you would have to wait until 2054! I think that's correct but maybe someone may be able to say for sure. It's really frustrating. I am going to London Metropolitan Archives soon and many of their records are closed and the only way to access them is to pay £80 per hour for a search!! Most of the closed records are concerning children but I think others are closed too. Regards, CHINCH.

hi crinch seems to be a bit of grey area i guess depending on what sort of records you are researching...for instance i was able to access the names of pupils who went to my school but things such as the punishment records were not allowed...i visited west brom library and was able to see the records of people who worked at chances glass..how long they were there and how much they were paid and what job they did so it was great to find my grandads name.. i understand that childrens homes are sensitive records but.i think when going to the library its important to ask them exactly what the 100 year rule means..personally i think if the person has died before the 100 years is up and we can prove it then we should be allowed access to their records..just my thoughts because as you say it can be very frustrating and all it does is create yet more brick walls for us

all the best with your research

lyn

hi crinch seems to be a bit of grey area i guess depending on what sort of records you are researching...for instance i was able to access the names of pupils who went to my school but things such as the punishment records were not allowed...i visited west brom library and was able to see the records of people who worked at chances glass..how long they were there and how much they were paid and what job they did so it was great to find my grandads name.. i understand that childrens homes are sensitive records but.i think when going to the library its important to ask them exactly what the 100 year rule means..personally i think if the person has died before the 100 years is up and we can prove it then we should be allowed access to their records..just my thoughts because as you say it can be very frustrating and all it does is create yet more brick walls for us

all the best with your research

lyn
Hi Astonness, yes, at Birmingham Library I was allowed to look at the records for Dudley road Hospital so just assumed I would be able to look at other records but it wasn't the case. I think if the person you are looking for is no longer alive you should be allowed to access the records. I wish that the 1921 census would hurry up and be released as this may answer some of the questions I have. You were fortunate to gain access to the records at your library . It's great to see your ancestor's records isn't it? Had you been searching long? Regards,CHINCH.

hi crinch west brom isnt my local library but they were very helpful indeed...ive been researching my family for about 10 years now but only recently thought about looking up the chances glass records..birmingham library hold my school records...both parents of a friend of mine grew up from an early age at marston green cottage homes (parents died from spanish flu) so this would be about 1918 and they ended up getting married..should be no problem to access their records next year..i also cant wait for the 1921 census...:) i think its the last census that gives us all that info and i believe that the 1931 census was destroyed after that they stopped writing down so much info on the census forms so make the most of the 21

lyn

hi crinch west brom isnt my local library but they were very helpful indeed...ive been researching my family for about 10 years now but only recently thought about looking up the chances glass records..birmingham library hold my school records...both parents of a friend of mine grew up from an early age at marston green cottage homes (parents died from spanish flu) so this would be about 1918 and they ended up getting married..should be no problem to access their records next year..i also cant wait for the 1921 census...:) i think its the last census that gives us all that info and i believe that the 1931 census was destroyed after that they stopped writing down so much info on the census forms so make the most of the 21

lyn
Hi Astonness,
I am awaiting the search results from the B'ham Library , no mention of my Grandmother at Shenley Fields and Erdington Cottage Homes so I'm pinning all my hopes on Marston Green. I have already put some of the verses from my Grandmother's autograph book on this site after seeing another book with similar verses although a few years later. My Grandmother's book dated 1930-1934 when she would have been 15-19 years old. I am hoping it was from Marston Green because if it's not I'M COMPETELY OUT OF IDEAS AS TO WHERE TO SEARCH NEXT!! Did your friends' parents have good things to say about the place?
I wondered what were the chances glass records? Regards, CHINCH

Hi Chinch

Thank you for your reply, My dad has recently passed away in the last 2 months and i know he was definately in Shenley Fields so do you think this lady would allow me to have a copy of his records? Suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask would it.

Thank you so much.

Hi Lisa,
My mom you to say something like " If you don't ask you'll never know ".
So give it go my Luv !
Cheers Tim

Hi Chinch

Thank you for your reply, My dad has recently passed away in the last 2 months and i know he was definately in Shenley Fields so do you think this lady would allow me to have a copy of his records? Suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask would it.

Thank you so much.
Hi Lisa, I am so sorry to hear about you losing your Dad. It must be a difficult time for you right now. I have recently been in touch with Karen at the Library and know that she is on leave from tomorrow but I would think it worth a try . I wish you luck and do let me know how you get on. Best wishes, CHINCH

Thank you.
Hi ive just discovered that my grand father was in shenley fields cottage homes in 1939 his name was albert little.

Back