• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shenley Fields Cottage Home

alepot

proper brummie kid
I spent a few months at Ilmington Road, in the late 1950s, while I was at Shenley Fields Cottage Homes.

I also was at Shenley Fields Homes,but in the '70s. Other homes i was in were:Athelstone House, Erdington Cottage Homes, Oakhill House, Heron House, Field House(i was there when Carol Edwards set fire to it and died,a very frightening night) and i was also at Rednal road Girls Hostel in West Heath,so i think i've done the circuit

I sure did Mossy.A lot of people have negative thoughts about childrens homes but to me and a lot of other kids in my situation some of our best times were spent in them.We experienced things that we otherwise wouldnt have were we to be still living with our family.Dont get me wrong there were also bad(of which i really dont want to go into)but the good outweights them.Most of us had never seen the sea or been on holiday,a museum,a circus,a fair(i could go on)we did it all.Christmastime'72 we even got to go to a big function in Birmingham town centre,the mayor was there the press were there and to top it all we were presented with 2 chopper bikes and myself and a lad had our picture took with the bikes and we were in the papers the next day.It gave us kids something to talk about for days after and as i'm writing this i'm re-living that night,it was magical.Mossy or anyone else do you know where i can get a copy of that newspaper from i would love to show my children and grandchildren.Heeelp Thank you

Well Shazza the only place you could a copy of the news paper is at Birmingham library

Some of the good folk on here go to the library you can ask them to have a butchers for ya,put your request on a new thread all the best

Mau-reeeeeecccccceeee

I also was at Shenley Fields Homes,but in the '70s. Other homes i was in were:Athelstone House, Erdington Cottage Homes, Oakhill House, Heron House, Field Houset

They certainly seem to have moved you around a fair bit! I only went to two, apart from SJMS: the other being Pebble Mill House. I still remember some of the people I met then, though I havent seen them for nearly 50 years.

didnt Pebble Mill House turn into the t.v studios?I remember going there once with Ilmo school and we interviewed Derrick Dougan the footballer(i think he was anyway. I was never into football)

didnt Pebble Mill House turn into the t.v studios?I remember going there once with Ilmo school and we interviewed Derrick Dougan the footballer(i think he was anyway. I was never into football)

If so, I didn't know that, and to be honest, I doubt it. The childrens' home building is still there on the corner of Bristol road and Pebble Mill Road. - the BBC was built just down the road from there, on a field that used to be used for dog-training in the 1950s. They called their building just "Pebble Mill".

Hi, I am helping my friends in their search for their sister Mary Teresa ( Tess ) nee Johnson born Birmingham 1945. Mary was in Shenley Fields Childrens Home in the 1950's after her mother Gladys died, we think she may have gone to Ilmington school. There are no records of Mary since 1961 so we think she may have gone abroad to live. Any memories most welcome. Regards Christine

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome Christine I wonder if Mary became a home child have a look here https://www.britishhomechildren.org/

I have removed your email address for safety people can contact you by clicking on your user name and sending an IM. Good Luck Wendy.

I also was at Shenley Fields Homes,but in the '70s. Other homes i was in were:Athelstone House, Erdington Cottage Homes, Oakhill House, Heron House, Field House(i was there when Carol Edwards set fire to it and died,a very frightening night) and i was also at Rednal road Girls Hostel in West Heath,so i think i've done the circuit
Hi not sure if you'll get this as it's now 10 years after your post. I'm Emma Edwards the niece of Carol Edwards. I'm trying to piece my nans life together. I'm so sorry you went through the trauma back then I wondered if ypu knew her at all and would lime to tell me. Not to worry if not it was a difficult time. Thank you

Shazza is listed as a guest, which means she is no longer a member. She might still see your message, but would have to rejoin to reply

Last edited:
Hi, i was wondering if anyone remembers Eddie Telling ? he grew up in the homes along with his twin sisters Patricia & Marie.

Back