• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shelley James Christopher

theodore

master brummie
Seeking relatives of James Christopher Shelley born Aston, Birmingham 1890 son of Thomas and Lizzie Shelley. Married 1913 Alice Dallaway. Daughter Dulcie Shelley. Served in the Army in WW1.

Regards

Peter

Re: James Christopher Shelley

Hi Baron,

Thank you for your reply to my posting on J.C. Shelley but I don't think it's the one I am looking to find (could be wrong though).

Regards

Peter

hello peter, do you wish to know other children born to this couple and maybe marriages etc, or just hoping someone who is a relative may contact you?

Hi Shera,

I am after a relative to contact me if possible. Dulcie Shelley wrote a fictionalised biography of her father relating to his army service and I am researching the Regiment he served in.

Regards

Peter

Peter i have a thomas shelley in my tree .this is his brood .thomas is the one in the boater.
If you think these are some related folks then pm me.View attachment 59788

Hi Shera,

I am after a relative to contact me if possible. Dulcie Shelley wrote a fictionalised biography of her father relating to his army service and I am researching the Regiment he served in.

Regards

Peter
Hi Peter,
Are you still looking for relatives of James Christian Shelley, He was my Grandfather, and Dulcie Hawkins my Aunt. His eldest daughter Amanda Lillian was my mother.
Regards,
Jim

Hi Shera,

Regards

Peter
Hi Peter,
Just to confirm his middle name was Christian, All the family thought it was Christopher until he applied for a passport in 1966!!

Hi Jim,

Yes I am still interested. James served with the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment ( Lance Corporal 11823 J. Shelley) and his daughter Dulcie wrote a fictionalised biography of her father and his service with the 2nd Bn., Worcestershire Regiment and the Labour Corps from 1917, in India, Great Britain and on the Western Front, 1909-19 - written from his handwritten notes. I'm researching 2nd Battalion Worcestershire men who served in 1914 and was hoping to contact a relative who may be able to help me obtain a copy of this biography. I did know his middle name was Christian (FreeBMD record). His marriage cert though gives Christopher.

Regards

Peter

Hi Jim,

Yes I am still interested. James served with the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment ( Lance Corporal 11823 J. Shelley) and his daughter Dulcie wrote a fictionalised biography of her father and his service with the 2nd Bn., Worcestershire Regiment and the Labour Corps from 1917, in India, Great Britain and on the Western Front, 1909-19 - written from his handwritten notes. I'm researching 2nd Battalion Worcestershire men who served in 1914 and was hoping to contact a relative who may be able to help me obtain a copy of this biography. I did know his middle name was Christian (FreeBMD record). His marriage cert though gives Christopher.

Regards

Peter
Hi Peter, Thanks for the reply. I am in regular contact with Dulcie's youngest daughter, Alison. I have asked her if she has a copy. Dulcie is still alive (93 yrs young) sadly she is in a care home suffering like so many from Alzheimers, so her memory is virtually nil. My other cousin Vicky (Gladys' daughter) seems to think that a copy was sent to Worcester cathedral.
Some years before he died James dictated some notes to Dulcie about a particular period of WW1, He had been contacted by an author researching an officer awarded the VC. To get James' views.
Do you want a copy of these notes as well. I can photo copy them and send to you. Do you want any other family info, might be able to help.
Regards,
Jim.

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your very kind offer and any info regarding his (James) service with the Worcesters would be most appreciated. I know the Imperial War Museum have a copy and I did contact them some time back but because of copy-write law they only allow 10% copy of the work (so I have a little). Sad to hear about Dulcie having Alzheimer's but 93 years old that is a good age. All the work I do also goes to the Regimental Archives at Worcester.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,
Have just seen my cousin (Gladys' daughter) She has a copy of a newspaper, I think it is called "Good Old Brum" There is an extract of Dulcies book in the edition dated 26th August 1997. I dont know if you can get a copy.
Regards,
Jim.

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your very kind offer and any info regarding his (James) service with the Worcesters would be most appreciated. I know the Imperial War Museum have a copy and I did contact them some time back but because of copy-write law they only allow 10% copy of the work (so I have a little). Sad to hear about Dulcie having Alzheimer's but 93 years old that is a good age. All the work I do also goes to the Regimental Archives at Worcester.

Regards

Peter
Hi Peter,
It was in Carl Chinn's Old Brum, a Birmingham evening mail special publication 26th August 1997.
Jim.

Hi Jim,

Going back a bit 1997 so don't think I would be able to obtain a copy. However it would only be part of Dulcie's fictionalised biography of her father and I have been hoping to see the complete work.

Regards

Peter

Hi Jim,

Going back a bit 1997 so don't think I would be able to obtain a copy. However it would only be part of Dulcie's fictionalised biography of her father and I have been hoping to see the complete work.

Regards

Peter
Hi Peter,
Good point, I have asked Dulcies' daughter if she has a copy. She will let me know.

Cheers Jim,

Fingers crossed. Can't believe my first posting for this was nearly 6 years ago so its great to actually get a family member to reply. Much appreciated.

Hi Peter,
Not a problem, have only recently started looking at family history, (since retiring) If you want any info about James' family please ask.
Jim.

Hi Jim,

Regards

Peter
Hi Peter,
Have just met up with my cousins (Gladys and Dulcie's) daughters. We are still looking for a copy of the book, however we have located some info which may be of interest to you.
1) A photo of "A" Company football team, winners of the inter-company football trophy season 1913-14. All the players are named on the photo.
2) A handwritten letter from James to Mr Eugene Paul Bennett V.C. Circa 1954 giving details of their meeting in November 1916.
3) Typewritten memoirs from James' memory of meeting Bennett V.C in 1916. These memoirs were written in response to a letter to James from a gent called G.P.Randall who I think was researching Bennett V.C.
If these are of interest to you, I can send copies of them to you by post.
Regards,
Jim.

Hi Jim,

Yes they would be of interest especially any photographs. If you could give me a call on 07761828291 when convenient and we can discuss the best way for you to get the info to me.

Regards

Peter

Hi Jim
Interesting to read your replies. I am a granddaughter of Maud Gunn nee Shephard. Can you contact me pls at [email protected] as I wld like to check some family details with you if you don't mind?
Best wishes Linda

Hi Linda,
Welcome to the forum. Just a word of Advice. It is unwise to enter your Email address on an open forum as anyone can see it and sometimes cause you all sorts of problems. You can always send a PM (Private Message). If you are not sure how to do this just say and someone will advise you. Regards
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Back