• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheldon

The last days of the Sheldon Cinema - I managed to locate two of the photos I refered to in the post above. Unfortunately I couldnt find the colour photographs taken on the closing night and more of demolition in progress but I did find the negatives with around 40 shots. The second picture was taken from Lyndon Road towards the Prime Point building on the Coventry Road
Some more pics I came across - these were in colour but are a little faded - the first two were taken across the road at the side of the Prime Point building
1587312989873.png

1587313047134.png

Last edited:
Remember the Scout Hut as I was with the 298th for a couple of years 1954-55. Still had contacts up to a couple of years ago. OldBrummie
Wow what date is this picture, this was before all the bungalows in Ragley Drive were built. Its a shame the picture doesnt show the top half of Ragley Drive with "The Institute" now known as the RAFA club and "Institute cottages" next door to the Raf club :(

I just read where someone remembers an Italian POW camp on Walkers Heath Rd Kings Norton and there was a German POW camp half a mile away from that. Also that Sutton Park was used for an Italian POW camp. So far nothing about Sheldon.
My Mom told me of when she used to wander down Horrell Road in Sheldon to watch the progress of the houses being built as she & my Dad were to have one when they were finished & she told me that much of the work was done by Italian prisoners of war.

My Mom told me of when she used to wander down Horrell Road in Sheldon to watch the progress of the houses being built as she & my Dad were to have one when they were finished & she told me that much of the work was done by Italian prisoners of war.

i lived down Horrell rd Sheldon (church rd end) for 10 years from 1973-1983 till we emigrated to Australia.

i lived down Horrell rd Sheldon (church rd end) for 10 years from 1973-1983 till we emigrated to Australia.
In my class at grammar school was a lad named Martin (?) Evans who lived in one of those houses in Horrel Road about half way along between Church Rd and the Library.

I was born in Horrell Road & it holds many happy memories for me.
I was just wondering, do you have any idea how the road got to be named as Horrell?

There is also a Horrell Road in Shirley. In my youth it was an unmade road. A friend and I were once there, near a very large and deep puddle. Being mischievous I picked up a large piece of timber and threw it, forcefully, into the puddle. Of course the effect was that my friend was drenched in muddy water. I can still visualise his appearance, particularly his muddy face, - I can still chuckle. ;) Afterwards he chased me - he never caught me however, but we still remained friendly.
My main memory of him was that he was an avid cricket fan and spent much of his time, during summer, listening to the cricket matches on radio. He was not the outdoor type.

My Nan and grandad lived at 124 rectory park road until they they passed away
My Nan was the last person to be buried in St Giles before it was closed for burials
I also had a aunt and uncle that lived at the Radleys, they lived in the house next to the
Church that was raised up off the road with a grass bank at the front of it, this would have
Been around the early 70s, all my moms family were born in rectory park road there were
7 in total, 5 girls and 2 lads Sadly only my mom and her sister are still with us, had so
Many happy happy times in sheldon, from my early days of the mid 60s all through
My teenage years, fond fond memories of my Grandad Bert and Nan Dot, still think of them
Both even though they passed several years ago.

Would love to see old photo's of Elmay Road, my bungalow was built in 1933, can't find anything - thanks.

Hi "oldbrummie" we are in a small country town called Teesdale in Victoria. Lived in this town for 34 years now, we love it here. Population of around 1500 residents.

Wendy :)
Hi Wendy. Cant say I know it but I'm just a bit "up the road" in Port Macquarie, NSW. Home was, from 1940 to 1963 in Lyndon Road Sheldon, just a couple of hundred yards up from the Sheldon Cinema. I've been back (though not recently) but now the cinema has gone, I don't think I'll be returning any time soon. However, it's where I grew up and there's a lot of memories still in the old brain box. Take care down there. I understand the border is about to be opened very soon.
Peter.

Hi Wendy. Cant say I know it but I'm just a bit "up the road" in Port Macquarie, NSW. Home was, from 1940 to 1963 in Lyndon Road Sheldon, just a couple of hundred yards up from the Sheldon Cinema. I've been back (though not recently) but now the cinema has gone, I don't think I'll be returning any time soon. However, it's where I grew up and there's a lot of memories still in the old brain box. Take care down there. I understand the border is about to be opened very soon.
Peter.

Hi Peter, sorry I havnt been to Port Macquarie either .
I do know Lyndon road though I worked at the Telephone Echange there for a few years right behind where the old Sheldon cinema was. We used to walk up from Common Lane to the lovely park in Lyndon road as kids, take a sandwich and a bottle of water with kali in haha.
We went back in 2001 and again in 2007 but have not been back since. I do have such happy memories of my life there before we emigrated, you never forget do you?
I love reminiscing :D

Yes border to NSW opening later this month, wait for the hoardes to start travelling again :rolleyes:
Take care Peter.

Hi "oldbrummie" we are in a small country town called Teesdale in Victoria. Lived in this town for 34 years now, we love it here. Population of around 1500 residents.

Wendy
wish i lived there. i watch all the tv progs. outback truckers,rail with bernie baker etc.,and think wow that would suite me all that open space.:grinning:

My wife Maureen Broadhurst was born in berryfield Sheldon in 1940 and remembers Italian prisoners of war working in the area a plane crash at the airport and her play mates were the Riley's, the bounes and norma tarrant. Maureen lived at 67 and went to silvermere and mapledean school her aunty named woods lived in parkdale road. Is there anybody out there who remembers her or the area?
My dad was a POW at a camp in Packington estate. We visited the place where the camps were in the 80s but they were no longer there.After the italians gave up the war effort he agreed to go and work on the land.Infact he worked on a farm in Sheldon. He like England and returned after the the war with his Italian wife.. He said the English were good people
Going though hs affairs after he past away I came across a badge of a woman and a baby. I wonder if he had an affair and a love child ? I also came across a few envelopes with S.African stamps on but no letter. Maybe I have relative somewhere out there. I also remember him telling me the american Gi's treated the English soldiers pretty badly and taunted them with chocolate and chewing gum. He was was transferred to Warwick arced course and then freed to go back to Italy, but he was back in the UK as soon as he was called to do so by one of the men he worked for during the war ( who I presume saw he was a good worker).. The family Bates, a building company in Balsall Common rings a bell.

Back