• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheldon

Screenshot (145).png
"Viv" The farm you refer to is a mile from where Oldbrummie lived, Pete I looked up early C20 map but unable to find a farm near where you say, the nearest was at the corner of Lyndon Rd. where the Sheldon cinema was in our time. I've tried to post a map but it's not turned out very clearly.

Last edited:
Hi Viv and thanks. I think you may have solved the mystery. When I was born (or at least in c1945) the only building left standing was the 3 stall milking shed.
I like the Frank Taylor Lockwood painting though the building was obviously demolished by the time I was aware of my surroundings. I watched that area change
markedly over my early years and after going on Google Earth (Street View) realize that I wouldn't know Sheldon (or Birmingham) at all now. Last there prior to 1990.

OldBrummie

Getting confusing. Jim thanks. I have been given a contact at Solihull Council. They referred to old O.S. maps of the area. They also resolved another problem related to exactly when houses were built in Lyndon Road and it now seems certain our house (in our section of Lyndon Road) was built on a green-field site in 1937. I had found a record, pre-dating this, of a family living at 279 Lyndon Road on the 1901 Census. This made me wonder if "our" house was a new house replacing an existing one. It turns out that the family concerned were the 279th family to locate in the area and in fact, did not live at No 279. They were a farming family and we believe they may have lived on a farm near where Chapel Fields School now stands or closer to Olton near where Lyndon Road joins Richmond Road. There also seems to be another farm located opposite where Coverdale Road joins Lyndon Road where the Lyndon Road shops are. I am beginning to think that may have been the farm that had the milking sheds opposite us. Jim and Viv, thank you both for your input. OldBrummie.

Pete, Lyndon Green Farm was a distance from where you lived, it was up by Garretts Green Lane not too far from St. Bernards Grange.

Oldbrummie
The no 273 was the number on the enumerators list. No numbers of the houses in Lyndon road were listed in that census. This mistake is often made looking at censuses. the first column is the enumerator's number, and if the house is numbered, then it will be in the column labelled road, street and number or name of house

Jim, the map is very similar to the one Solihull Council suggested. I know Kents Cottages. They ran alongside Chapel Fields School. Just below them is The Ulleries - a farm located where Ulleries Road now goes off Lyndon Road and a bit further on, Chapel Fields Farm. Going back the other way (right from Kents cottages) is another building with a P on it . This is opposite where Coverdale Road now takes off from Lyndon Road. This, I think, must be the Farm I am looking for. Approximately an inch to the right would be where the milking shed was and 279 is on the other side of Lyndon Road. Further on still is Wells Green Farm - right on the junction of Lyndon Road and Coventry Road. Site of the Sheldon Cinema and The Bob Bon Sweet Shop.
My thanks again. Pete.

OldBrummie.

Getting confusing. Jim thanks. I have been given a contact at Solihull Council. They referred to old O.S. maps of the area. They also resolved another problem related to exactly when houses were built in Lyndon Road and it now seems certain our house (in our section of Lyndon Road) was built on a green-field site in 1937. I had found a record, pre-dating this, of a family living at 279 Lyndon Road on the 1901 Census. This made me wonder if "our" house was a new house replacing an existing one. It turns out that the family concerned were the 279th family to locate in the area and in fact, did not live at No 279. They were a farming family and we believe they may have lived on a farm near where Chapel Fields School now stands or closer to Olton near where Lyndon Road joins Richmond Road. There also seems to be another farm located opposite where Coverdale Road joins Lyndon Road where the Lyndon Road shops are. I am beginning to think that may have been the farm that had the milking sheds opposite us. Jim and Viv, thank you both for your input. OldBrummie.

Hi OldBrummie, it's been a while since I was last on here, but I've recently been taking another look at your query. The building that was opposite your house, figures on all the maps that I have access to, since, at the earliest, 1888, and it does look like it could have been a farm, but it is not named on the maps Ive seen. I took a look at the 1940's Kelly's Directory and made a list of the names and addresses of commercial properties on Lyndon Road at that time.. most of them are for the shops that are by your old home (I can add the list later if you would be interested to see it) However, I came across one name that I had not seen or heard of before and it had no number.. I can't find it named on any maps, but wondered if it may ring any bells with you ?
There was a Robert Leslie Washington, recorded as a Physician and Surgeon, his house was called "Rambling Barns" and it was on Lyndon Road.. nothing to do with dairy farms and milking sheds I know, but maybe he lived there ?1888.jpeg
1920.jpeg1936.jpeg

Hi Lindyloo. Thank you so much. I did in fact end up doing quite a bit of research and did seek out the shop-keepers. What is interesting is that a number of the shopkeepers changed in the period leading up to about 1947 when my recollections became more pronounced. Of course, all the buildings are still there but looking at "Street View", none of the originals now exist. At the other end of Lyndon Road, you found our family doctor, Robert Leslie Washington. My brother and I used to call him "Wishy Washy". (But of course, not to his face.) I can still see him now.
As an extra, on your third map is shown Butler Road (bottom left off Lyndon Road). I don't recall the street number (my God Parents were at No 8) but one Gil Merrick of Birmingham City F C used to live there.
Thanks again. OldBrummie.

Lindyloo, I have had another look at the third map and have just realized there are shops only on one side (Odd Numbered Side) of Lyndon Road, next to the Coverdale Road turn-off. This would indicate the shops on the other side must have been built sometime after 1936 (date of the map). This would also indicate that the farm buildings (circled in red) would also have been demolished
sometime after 1936. My recollection is that as a child (approx 1946 or there-a-bouts), the only farm building left standing would in fact have been the milking shed which would have been slightly to the right of the main farm building. Also, Dad bought the house at 279 in late 1936 or early 1937. I am guessing it was the 2nd or 4th house to the right shown on the left or upper side of Lyndon Road.
OldBrummie.

Hi Elmdon Boy. I am fairly certain re Gil Merrick and I believe there was another team member also lived close by but his name eludes me. However I could be wrong.
OldBrummie.

My Gt gt gt grandfather was born Lyndon End. His father owned lots of different land around the area but never been able to really pinpoint it. upload_2017-11-14_21-49-47.png

Mid to late 50s I lived at the newsagents in Brays Road by the Barrows Lane roundabout run by my Dad. I was told Gil Merrick used to come in the shop for his papers.
I was too young to remember.

H G Turners in Sheldon, that rings a bell with me Stitcher. I'm sure it was Turners that I bought my rabbit food from in the early 60s. The only thing is I'm sure the shop was a more modern one in a parade of shops opposite the Wheatsheaf pub on the Coventry Road or is my memory playing up, and the shop looked like the photo.

Elmdon Boy there was a Turners on the Coventry road, It was near the Junction with Coalway/Coleway Avenue Sheaf lane side

Robert, I know the area your referring to , but I remember the shop more as I say, in the parade of shops opposite the Wheatsheaf a bit further along from where Woolies used to be.
Does anybody remember this area before the road widening.It was quite attractive with weeping willow trees by the traffic lights. Shakespeare's newsagents on one side of the Coventry Road in a half timbered black and white building. I did a paper round from there.
There was another Shakespears in Sheaf Lane on the other side of the road selling mainly toys. Airfix kits from there. This side of the Coventry Road had a service road serving the parade of shops,with a row of mature trees separating it from the main road.
All very pleasant, unlike the dour mess it looks now.
Why does so called progress result in such bland unpleasant areas.
Anybody with pictures from these earlier times.

The original Turners shop in sheldon was located in the area that is now known as Wells Green shopping centre. Although I was only about 5 years old at the time I seem to rememeber that it was roughly where The Furniture Box appears in the google photo. The Bungalow had a large frontage and used to have a wooden stand outside displaying garden canes and large flower pots. There was a barbers shop next door? At the far end of where the precinct is now near Car Phone Warehouse was Roy Pollards that used to advertise in Pearl and Dean advertisement breaks at the Sheldon Cinema.

When the precinct was built Turners occupied new premises where the PDSA charity shop is (far right of the attached photo) and there was a jewellers shop next door. The Turners shop at that time was run by a husband and wife couple and an assistant called Bob.The manager always dressed immaculately and wore a dicky bow tie. You could always tell when he was approaching by the tap tap of metal segs in his shoes. I had a Saturday job there in the 60s with another lad, Kevin Peplow. When things got slack in the shop the manager used to send us out to wash his old hillman van, regardless of the weather. One cold Saturday we were out the back washing and waxing and I thought we'd get the job done quicker if I rinsed the van by showering it with a bucket of water from the balcony of the flats above the shop. Kevin waited expectantly below, at a safe distance, while I launched the contents of the bucket over the balcony. It would have been a good idea except I hadn't allowed for the weight of the water, the bucket and the height of the balcony. At the point of launching the bucket it left my grip and crashed onto the roof of the van! The noise was so loud the manager came out the back of the shop ( tap tap Tap!)to see what was going on. All he could see was the two of us doubled up standing around the bucket lying on its side. I'm sure it must have dented the roof of the van and though we were interogated I dont think he believed us when we said 'What noise was that then?'.

That shop eventually closed and I think it became a greengrocers, Tuti Fruit. A new Turners shop opened further down at 2248 Coventry Road, near the corner of Coalway Avenue.
There was another turners on the Coventry road beyond Small Heath, towards town but not sure of the precise location . The company was founded in 1920 and ceased trading some time after 2008.
Robert, I know the area your referring to , but I remember the shop more as I say, in the parade of shops opposite the Wheatsheaf a bit further along from where Woolies used to be.
Does anybody remember this area before the road widening.It was quite attractive with weeping willow trees by the traffic lights. Shakespeare's newsagents on one side of the Coventry Road in a half timbered black and white building. I did a paper round from there.
There was another Shakespears in Sheaf Lane on the other side of the road selling mainly toys. Airfix kits from there. This side of the Coventry Road had a service road serving the parade of shops,with a row of mature trees separating it from the main road.

Attachments

• Wells Green.JPG
    Wells Green.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Wells Green.JPG
    Wells Green.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 47
Hi Elmdon Boy
At the junction of Sheaf Lane there was a tree lined service road that ran parallel to the Coventry road (Horse chestnut trees) - the willow trees were further down by the Arden oak pub. Before the road widening the kids used to hang from the branches and swing out into the road - not advisable now!

I know where you mean Elmdon Boy, they moved to where i discribed when the Wells Green shopping centre was built 1966/68 ish. The part of the coventry road with the service road with the trees seperating the main road used to have a great chioce of shops , butchers, green grocers, chemists , post office , Foster Brother, an MEB Shoe shops, in fact you could by any thing there, but now its all restraunts and take aways.

I know where you mean Elmdon Boy, they moved to where i discribed when the Wells Green shopping centre was built 1966/68 ish. The part of the coventry road with the service road with the trees seperating the main road used to have a great chioce of shops , butchers, green grocers, chemists , post office , Foster Brother, an MEB Shoe shops, in fact you could by any thing there, but now its all restraunts and take aways.
Do you remember the high class toy shop on the opposite corner to Foster Brothers? Also the large boarded area of land on the Opposite side of the road that was Abelson Plant Hire?

In the same vicinity does anyone remember this bungalow in Sheaf Lane. It looks so familiar but I cant place it. It may have been near to where the Plume Tyre Service is now. Incidentally the Plume tyre site was the location of a greengrocers that was a house or bungalow. The shop was accessed from the side - did this belong to the co-op or was it an independent?

Attachments

• Smiths Sheldon.JPG
    Smiths Sheldon.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 52
Hi mbenne, your memory goes back a little further than mine. I can remember the shop opposite Fosters being Smarts the pork butchers.
Now just opened as an italian resturant befor that an indian then before that a chinese one.
The green grocers was a bungalow, not part of the CO-OP but owned by a lady. My friend had a job there, one very cold December morning he was washing cabbages in a large bath full of ice cold water, to avoid gettin his hands frozen he broke a wooden crate and used a piece of wood to push the cabbages under. When she saw he had broken a crate she was very upset telling him she had to pay 3d for damaged crates. come pay day she had docked him the 3d. A little further down Sheaf lane one of the bungalows was a ladys hair dressers, now a nursury.

Eldom B0y, I lived in Goldthorne Avenue way back 1935 t0 1939, my Father worked for Bryant's who built Eldom airport during that time. We used to play by those willow trees, I think that area was known locally as Tigers Island, I don't know why, I may have gone t to school with a lad who lived at Shakespeare's newsagent (could be wrong, it's a long time ago) and my Mother worked at the Wheasheaf pub for a short time. Also remember Turners, we used to obtain our chicken food from there for our few chickens we had in the back garden. Eric

Back