• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheldon

That's where we played as boys, Johnny Headford The Brooks twins Robin Kendall all gone now I guess happy days.

Hi everyone
Just discovered this forum and this site.
I love reading all the threads over the years from this area.
I used to live in Brays road from 1956 to 1959 at the newsagents Singletons run by my Mum and Dad. This was by the Brays Road, Barrows Lane roundabout.I was aged 6 in 1956 and left in 1959 aged 9. I attended Lyndon Green Infant and Junior school at this time.
When I left in 1959 the shop was taken over by my uncle, so the shop remained as Singletons, but my Dad was the original Singleton there after taking over the shop from Llewellins.
Down the road in Barrows Lane by the other roundabout at junction with Garrets Green Road was another Singletons newsagent, this was run by my other uncle.
I remember playing at the pond, just off Brays Road and by the school. All levelled off now and built on. I also remember playing at the recreation ground off Barrows Lane at the back of the TAVR centre. It also had ponds with newts in it I remember fishing for. We called this area the baggies, why I do not know.
Anybody remember this little lad from the shop then.

Just trying to revive this thread, as it seems to have gone dead since I joined it in July.
There is mention previously of the record shop, The Music Box, this was at the end of the parade of shops at the junction of Wells Rd and Coventry Rd, just down from the Arden Oak. I bought records from here until the early 70s when I moved to Kings Norton. Also at the corner of Wells Rd was Bill Howard motorcycles where I bought my first motorbike, a BSA Bantam.
I lived just over the border in Jillcot Rd Solihull where I had moved to from Brays Rd.

Three very nice Sheldon postcards showing the Sheldona Cafe, the Post Office and Lyndon Green Farm in 1933. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I lived in Lyndon Road (279) opposite what is now Daylesford Road & Lyndon School.
When I was born (1940) there was a Dairy Farm diagonally opposite our house with the milking shed right on Lyndon Road.
Is there anyone out there who might be able to throw some light on the farm and who might have owned it?
OldBrummie.

There is a pic and location of the Post Office in post#273 and also some info in other posts around that number ... :)

Screenshot (145).png
"Viv" The farm you refer to is a mile from where Oldbrummie lived, Pete I looked up early C20 map but unable to find a farm near where you say, the nearest was at the corner of Lyndon Rd. where the Sheldon cinema was in our time. I've tried to post a map but it's not turned out very clearly.

Last edited:
Hi Viv and thanks. I think you may have solved the mystery. When I was born (or at least in c1945) the only building left standing was the 3 stall milking shed.
I like the Frank Taylor Lockwood painting though the building was obviously demolished by the time I was aware of my surroundings. I watched that area change
markedly over my early years and after going on Google Earth (Street View) realize that I wouldn't know Sheldon (or Birmingham) at all now. Last there prior to 1990.

OldBrummie

Getting confusing. Jim thanks. I have been given a contact at Solihull Council. They referred to old O.S. maps of the area. They also resolved another problem related to exactly when houses were built in Lyndon Road and it now seems certain our house (in our section of Lyndon Road) was built on a green-field site in 1937. I had found a record, pre-dating this, of a family living at 279 Lyndon Road on the 1901 Census. This made me wonder if "our" house was a new house replacing an existing one. It turns out that the family concerned were the 279th family to locate in the area and in fact, did not live at No 279. They were a farming family and we believe they may have lived on a farm near where Chapel Fields School now stands or closer to Olton near where Lyndon Road joins Richmond Road. There also seems to be another farm located opposite where Coverdale Road joins Lyndon Road where the Lyndon Road shops are. I am beginning to think that may have been the farm that had the milking sheds opposite us. Jim and Viv, thank you both for your input. OldBrummie.

Pete, Lyndon Green Farm was a distance from where you lived, it was up by Garretts Green Lane not too far from St. Bernards Grange.

Oldbrummie
The no 273 was the number on the enumerators list. No numbers of the houses in Lyndon road were listed in that census. This mistake is often made looking at censuses. the first column is the enumerator's number, and if the house is numbered, then it will be in the column labelled road, street and number or name of house

Jim, the map is very similar to the one Solihull Council suggested. I know Kents Cottages. They ran alongside Chapel Fields School. Just below them is The Ulleries - a farm located where Ulleries Road now goes off Lyndon Road and a bit further on, Chapel Fields Farm. Going back the other way (right from Kents cottages) is another building with a P on it . This is opposite where Coverdale Road now takes off from Lyndon Road. This, I think, must be the Farm I am looking for. Approximately an inch to the right would be where the milking shed was and 279 is on the other side of Lyndon Road. Further on still is Wells Green Farm - right on the junction of Lyndon Road and Coventry Road. Site of the Sheldon Cinema and The Bob Bon Sweet Shop.
My thanks again. Pete.

OldBrummie.

Getting confusing. Jim thanks. I have been given a contact at Solihull Council. They referred to old O.S. maps of the area. They also resolved another problem related to exactly when houses were built in Lyndon Road and it now seems certain our house (in our section of Lyndon Road) was built on a green-field site in 1937. I had found a record, pre-dating this, of a family living at 279 Lyndon Road on the 1901 Census. This made me wonder if "our" house was a new house replacing an existing one. It turns out that the family concerned were the 279th family to locate in the area and in fact, did not live at No 279. They were a farming family and we believe they may have lived on a farm near where Chapel Fields School now stands or closer to Olton near where Lyndon Road joins Richmond Road. There also seems to be another farm located opposite where Coverdale Road joins Lyndon Road where the Lyndon Road shops are. I am beginning to think that may have been the farm that had the milking sheds opposite us. Jim and Viv, thank you both for your input. OldBrummie.

Hi OldBrummie, it's been a while since I was last on here, but I've recently been taking another look at your query. The building that was opposite your house, figures on all the maps that I have access to, since, at the earliest, 1888, and it does look like it could have been a farm, but it is not named on the maps Ive seen. I took a look at the 1940's Kelly's Directory and made a list of the names and addresses of commercial properties on Lyndon Road at that time.. most of them are for the shops that are by your old home (I can add the list later if you would be interested to see it) However, I came across one name that I had not seen or heard of before and it had no number.. I can't find it named on any maps, but wondered if it may ring any bells with you ?
There was a Robert Leslie Washington, recorded as a Physician and Surgeon, his house was called "Rambling Barns" and it was on Lyndon Road.. nothing to do with dairy farms and milking sheds I know, but maybe he lived there ?1888.jpeg
1920.jpeg1936.jpeg

Back