• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheldon

Hi jukebox, The Music Box was 2327 Coventry Road in 1959.. I dont recall a Music Shop in the row of shops that you described.. but I can try and check. What year range would that have been ?

Last edited:
Wasn't the Music Shop in the row of shops almost opposite what is now Aldi, between Lyndon Road and Keswick Road???

Probably my memory playing tricks! I lived in a maisonette just off Sheaf Lane from 1964 t0 1967 and travelled into town each day on a 58 or 60 bus. One of these went to the Arden Oak and the other to Cranes Park Rd (can't remember which was which) but at that time B'ham Corporation buses didn't cross the city boundary!

At last something I am certain about, 58 Arden Oak, 60 Cranes Park. I have followed the recent posts with interest, I would have travelled along Coventry Rd in late 40's through to 1990's but knew none of what has been written about. I do remember the Severn Trent offices which were where the Morrison's store is now, there was a bungalow there, the owner refused to sell for the development so it was sandwiched between the high office blocks. Seemed somewhat immoral to me at the time.

At last something I am certain about, 58 Arden Oak, 60 Cranes Park.
Thanks for confirming that devonjim - I thought it was that way round but Mrs J thought the opposite - glad to be right for a change!!

Re I do remember the Severn Trent offices which were where the Morrison's store is now, there was a bungalow there----
Also Arco Rewinds which may have been a bit closer to the Wheatsheaf where they built a DIY store Status(?)/Do-It-All/Focus but that has all been flattened now and used as a car park.

THE ELMS? Is it on Barrows lane? by the shops if so i worked on the cart house with a hay loft and my best man my ex csm lived there or am i wrong i sure you people can put me right.[/QUOTE
according to my dad the elms was at the Radleys and it was lyndon green farm on barrows lane

my dad grew up around there he had older sisters of the name perkins on rectory pk road his older sister and her friends use to take apples to the pow camp in sheldon to give to the pow's

Last edited:
The Elms was on the corner of The Radleys and Church Rd. Lyndon Green farm was in Barrows Lane on the corner with Garretts Green Lane

There was a small line of shops in Brays road above the Barrows lane island. Shepherds (grocers), Singletons (newsagents) Betts (outdoor) and Bells (greengrocer). Just on the island Mr Jilks had a taxi service. The tall brick road island was the scene of many motor crashes in the winter fogs! I worked as a delivery boy at Shepherds (Mrs Bell was one of the assistants, and knew the families around there.
Bells grocery store at the bottom of brays road , their son John Bell
Now lives here in Parksville B.C canada.
He has a British restaurant called the British Bobby here.
I also was born and grew up on Brays road .
My favorite place was the pond , I could explore there for hours.

Hi,From 1960 to 1970 my family lived on Sheldon Heath Road just around the corner from an area of open ground that we called The Moat,now called Hays Kents Moat.The area had a deep wide ditch around the perimeter which was a great adventure playground and off road cycle track for us kids and I have often wondered about its history.There is a care home on the site now.I have looked back through the archive but can find no mention.Regards Roy

I lived off Garretts Green lane until mid 70s and remember Kents Moat. I read history of it once and I believe it was an old Anglo Saxon settlement.

Devonjim..Thank you for for your reply..I lived for 10 years next to Hays Kents Moat and had no idea of its history Regards Roy.

Devonjim..Thank you for for your reply..I lived for 10 years next to Hays Kents Moat and had no idea of its history Regards Roy.
Lived nearby for some twenty years. Kent's Moat was the place to catch newts, probably would be illegal nowadays.

We moved from Aston in 1935, (I was 5 yo) to Goldthorne Avenue, we were there 1935 t0 39 whilst my Dad's firm Bryant's constructed the airport. I remember playing on the Coventry Road boundary (very little traffic then) by a large Island called Tiger's Island with lots of Willow trees, I believe it was the terminus for the trolley bus service, strange the things you remember !. We then moved to Shirley just before the out break of the war. Funnily enough I cannot remember the school I attended but Cranes Park seems to ring a bell. Eric

Here's an old picture of Kents Moat, regards, J.

Attachments

• Kents Moat Sheldon Hth Rd Yardley .jpg
    Kents Moat Sheldon Hth Rd Yardley .jpg
    75 KB · Views: 79
I lived on MOAT lane in Yardley 1940's? to 1957 for most of my life in Brum I have often wondered why it was called MOAT Lane? I see on the old map that there are two Moats maybe one was on MOAT Lane? We used to play as kids in a park back of the Pres Fabs that has a pond at times in the back.

Back