• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheldon

This one is the shops at the Radleys, again 1950's in Brays Rd.

View attachment 99190
Just been reading about Johnny Prescott in a post in a Boxing thread. This picture I would think is more 1960's than 1950's. Johnny was still working at Wilmot Breeden until early 1960's and his betting shop days came during/after the boxing career. Any pictures of the M&B Cabin that was nearby? There was an orchard on the corner of the Radleys and Church Rd., good for scumping by us kids from the Garretts Green estate.

Here is a photo of the original Cabin taken in 1959 when they were building the replacement permanent building. Also a photo of a couple prefabs at the railway bridge end of The Radleys.

Attachments

• Sheldon Radleys - prefabs[1].jpg
    Sheldon Radleys - prefabs[1].jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Cabin Sheldon Heath Road  The Radleys - 1959.[1].JPG
    Cabin Sheldon Heath Road The Radleys - 1959.[1].JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 149
That's The Cabin I remember. Was the building opposite the pre fabs something to do with Lucas. Used to look for grass snakes on the railway embankment.

Thanks Phil. The doorway you see in the photo 1 used to be an outdoor
where we would take the empty bottles back for a refund. Tuppence I think.
enough for 8 black jacks.
regards Stars

This is a photo of German prisoners of war, building a road in Sheldon, during WW2. They built many roads in Sheldon.
sheldon prisoners of war.jpg

Ann

Does anyone know where the POW camp was in Sheldon. I remember huts on the Oaklands, Church Rd Yardley but believe they were for refugees and displaced people.

I just read where someone remembers an Italian POW camp on Walkers Heath Rd Kings Norton and there was a German POW camp half a mile away from that. Also that Sutton Park was used for an Italian POW camp. So far nothing about Sheldon.

Hi Phil,

I think Maxstoke would have been much closer than Kings Norton.

The quickest route would have been down Coventry Road, past Stonebridge and Packington Hall,
and take the next turn left to Maxstoke. Bearing in mind that there would not been much traffic
in those days I would have thought that the journey would not have been much more than 20 minutes.

Kind regards

Dave

My mother remembers POWs repairing bomb damage in Sladepool Farm Rd, (Maypole), she always said they were Italians.
A camp in Kings Norton would make sense as POWs built the big prefab estate in Druids Lane.

Hi everyone, I was intrigued to hear of the Elms Farm House as were buying a house in Chaffcombe road which is the last one before the gulley which leads to the shops at the Radleys. Would the house have been next door to the house were buying? The Newsagent is still there but now boarded up. Any info would be very welcome. Karen

Hi Karen, The Elms was roughly where the shops are. The grounds may well have extended to where your house was built. Your house wasn't there at the same time as The Elms. The Elms was demolished to make way for the new housing development. Ann

Hi Karen. The Elms was at the rear of that block of shops. The entrance was the other
end to the paper shop between I think it was a chemist. I helped out as a kid at Jacksons
which was a fruit and veg shop. I used to go to Elms farm school. There was also a big old
house across the road from that paper shop where there are new houses built. It had big
old iron gates and apple trees in the front. An old tall man lived there.

regards Stars

My wife Maureen Broadhurst was born in berryfield Sheldon in 1940 and remembers Italian prisoners of war working in the area a plane crash at the airport and her play mates were the Riley's, the bounes and norma tarrant. Maureen lived at 67 and went to silvermere and mapledean school her aunty named woods lived in parkdale road. Is there anybody out there who remembers her or the area?

My wife Maureen Broadhurst was born in berryfield Sheldon in 1940 and remembers Italian prisoners of war working in the area a plane crash at the airport and her play mates were the Riley's, the bounes and norma tarrant. Maureen lived at 67 and went to silvermere and mapledean school her aunty named woods lived in parkdale road. Is there anybody out there who remembers her or the area?

Hi aggie2347
i cannot say i recall your wife nor or any of the other names , but i would like to asked you
is there any possibility that your wife is in anyway a relative to the older generation of the one time broadhurst family
whom was well known for there bussines of steel stock holders in aston brook street aston way back in the forty,s and
fiftys and up until the early sixties , i know they left the aston brook street way back in the fifties and moved to rocky
lane aston oppersite tubes limited this would be a big family of broadhurst,s
if so i know one of the very older of the family possible there father moved out to wootton wawon best wishes astonian;;

My wife Maureen Broadhurst was born in berryfield Sheldon in 1940 ?
I remember the area well, but I lived a couple of miles away and went to Blakenhale School, but we played sports against Mapledean. My second cousin was born in 1940 and lived nearby in Dovercourt Rd. and he went to Mapledean. His surname was Bishop.

Hi Astonian, yes my wife is related to Broadhurst's who started out in the scrap metal business it was her grandfather's brothers who started the business they asked him to join them but he thought it was too risky as he had a job at the BSA and a family to feed. Bad decision? Aggie

HI AGGIE;
Many thanks for coming back to me on this one ; i had a good feeling she was as i knew some of them very well
going back years and with there history yes indeed i think so i would agree ;
and they went european as well world wide great friends with the old kirbys older generation; i will not mentionion there name thou and the hines
and with the hines family of aston whom i knew very well; once again aggie and to your wife best wishes , Astonian;; ALAN; ;;;

Many thanks for your welcoming words.

I have obtained and am currently researching Victor Skipp's 'Discovering' collection, amongst others. I was born in 82' and lived in Sheldon most of my life it has changed somewhat from how I remember it and before that simply amazes me, his works are treasures of the past of our olde Sheldon village how wonderful that work was done by him and the group. The local library received a call last year advising that the 'diagram' slides and such like that are mentioned but not included in the prints of the Discovering Sheldon book, were found, in Norwich in a SKIP! Ironic? Sad too, I would like to somehow get involved in enlivening the history again. I have been mentioning his work on a new facebook page Sheldon Community History (SCH) if anyone wants to join and post any info please do. I also have a website pending some work sheldonch.co.uk ... i made a start so I would carry on see it through :)

Lucy

once the website is built I would be very interested. I lived in Sheldon until 1973, attended Cockshut Hill, Blakenhale and the Comp. Went to Garretts Green College. Lots of memories. My last visit was 1996.

SHELDON
This thread has inspired me to send my first post! As a lad from Cotteridge/Kings Norton, in 1956 I was unaware of far-flung districts such as Sheldon but all that changed when I was told my Secondary education was to be at the brand new SHELDON HEATH COMPREHENSIVE SCHOOL. I was one of its most undistinguished pupils for nearly 3 years (at which time we moved to Kent) from Summer 1956 to Spring 1959. At that time, this wonderful school had only been open for one year & the builders were still on site. After the cosy atmosphere of Bournville Primary, this ultra modern "big" school was a revelation by contrast & I was really very happy, despite long bus rides each day. Anyone else got memories of this school for the same time period? Pity there's not an Old Girls & Boys Society for the school, or is there?
David.

I lived in Goldthorne Avenue (No. 37) from 1935 to 1939, moved from Aston so my Dad could be near his work. He worked for Bryant's the builders who had the contract to build the then Eldom airport, now Birmingham International. When it was finished we moved to Shirley just before the war started

So many good things have disappeared from Sheldon. I was visiting a few weeks ago. There used to be a general stores/sweetie shop at the Cov Road end of Barrows Lane - it's a private house now. At the junction of Wagon Lane and the New Cov Road used to stand a rather grand, private house with a lot of statuary - now bland offices.

Shame on those that allowed the Wagon & Horses to disappear. There was a public house on that site long before the one that was recently burnt down and demolished.

The Sheldon Cinema is a Tescos. Many a happy and rowdy Saturday matinee took place there. And right next door another sweetie shop, the Bon Bon. A speciality of theirs was frozen Jubblys which, once the orange was sucked out, used to make great ammunition at the matinee. Until they were (unsurprisingly) banned.

Back