• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheldon

A

Ann B

Because of queries by a new member regarding Sheldon, I thought it might be best to start a thread for Sheldon.

This is an early map of Sheldon

Ann

Attachments

• Map of Sheldon 1938.jpg
    Map of Sheldon 1938.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 276
Last edited by a moderator:
On the map, just above the 'S' in Sheldon, you can see marked The Chestnuts. This is a photograph of The Chestnuts, Garretts Green in 1919. The Church of St. Thomas now stands there.

Ann

Attachments

• Yardley Chestnuts Garrettts Green Lane.jpg
    Yardley Chestnuts Garrettts Green Lane.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 198
And a bit below the 'D' in Sheldon you can see The Elms on the map. This is a photograph of The Elms at the Radley's, about 1890, with members of the Cattell family, related to the Cattells of Sheldon Hall.

Ann

Attachments

• s 1890.jpg
    s 1890.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 138
Thanks Ann B iv,e just had a good look and got my bearings off "the smithy" which is still there, so the large house named the Chestnuts looks as if it was on the opposite side of what is now known as Sheldon Heath Road. the road just up from the smithy must be Horrell road and the road past the elms, the radleys.

A photograph of Garrett's Green Farm 1935. The Reeves family were farmers here throughout the nineteenth century.

Ann

Attachments

• Sheldon Garretts Green Farm.jpg
    Sheldon Garretts Green Farm.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 152
Ann, Yes, The Smithy on Church Road is just before the junction with Horrell Rd., coming from the Coventry Rd.

The map is of Sheldon in 1938 at the start of the thread, and includes Cockshutt Hill for new member Steve. With Cockshutt Hill School now showing.

Ann

it lay a little way back off the lane and it was on the bend of the lane just before where Mickleton Avenue is.

Ann B on the 2nd map just above where it says Garretts Green, there is something there that looks as if it could be buildings. I wonder if that was where the farmhouse was, that would be somewhere near Mickleton Avenue

Ann,

I can see where you mean on the map, but I can't remember an old farm house there. We'll have to see if Lencops remembers it.

Ann

I know there was deffinateley a white house on garretts green lane whether it was a farmhouse or maybe a farm workers cottage i don,t know.round about early 50s.

Ann B, In that rundown area of Milverton Ave with its vandelised row of shops and the quaintly named named King oF Bohemia pub, opposite to them was a residents community hall whose name i can not recall was built on or near the site of a large house. Len.

At the top of Church Rd hill going towards the Radleys on the right hand as i remember at the start of WW2 1939 there were about 8? shops the first shop was a newsagents and if you wajked past the side to the rear you would see The Elms Farm house, it was used during the war as hostel by BSA Machine Tools, Kitts Green for workers from all over GB who were sent to work there, it was still being used as hostel until circa1950?, later it was demolished and The Elms Farm estate was built. Len.

Thanks Len. I don't remember the name of the community hall either. It's Elderfield Residential home on Garrett's Green. I'll check at the library then. It may have been compulsary purchased.
I bet a photo of it will prove elusive.
And I wish I had seen The Elms farm house.

Ann

Hi Ann,

I think I can help you out on this One ... Elderfield Elderly Persons Home (Birmingham City council) was built on land that was previous buildings, (I worked there for a while!!) ... however Elderfield EPH is due to be demolished in the next 18 months / 2 years .. Elderfield EPH address is Meon Grove if this helps (not Garretts Green Lane )

hello all there is a small grove called The Smithy on Church Road just before Carnford Road heading towards The Radleys Bernie

Hi Anne

I will ask my Mom if she remembers the White House (she grew up in Lea Village) .. what I got confused with earlier was the picture of the Chestnuts ... now a church ? .. The Chestnuts I remember was and still is corner of Garretts Green Lane and Sheldon Heath Avenue, The church is further up Garretts Green lane heading towards Coventry Road/Barrows Lane.. another thought about a white building.. could that have been St bernards Grange ?

Diane,

Re The Chestnuts. The photograph is of the original house, that was called The Chestnuts, and was on Garretts Green, where the Church now stands. The Chestnuts Public House was named after it, but the pub was not built on the site of the old house. And is, as you said, on the corner of Garretts Green and Sheldon Heath.
Hope your mom can shed some light on Annveitch's white house. It maybe the one Len mentioned.

Ann

Hi Bernie,

This is a photo of The Smithy Church Road in 1967. The Smithy is still there as a timber yard. And The Smithy grove is close by.

Ann

Attachments

• The Smithy Church Rd Sheldon 1967[1].jpg
    The Smithy Church Rd Sheldon 1967[1].jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 151
Hi Bernie, the little road called the Smithy is quite new it is the entrance to the little row of houses built in the early 70s.Heading back to the Coventry rd just before Common lane there is another new road Romford Close i think,buillt mid 60s. They had to demolish 3 or 4 bungalows to make the new road entrance. The land behind the bungalows linked up to the Smithy and was used for crane hire company. Where Church rd changes to Sheaf lane ,just past st Thomas Moore's Church at the junction of Sheaf Lane and Mardon rd does any one remember the old cottage that was there.

Ann,

Thank you for posting the 1938 map. I can see the road I was born in, Duncroft Road of Cockshut Hill.

We lived in, as my Mother called it, "Little Duncroft". I wasn't allowed to go up "Big Duncroft".

Ah...........memories.

Back