• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheldon

Yes Ray, I remember "The Diamond Dump" well it was a vacant piece of land behind the flats in Downsfield Road and the other side was Elmay Road I spent many an hour scratching around looking for diamonds to put in my little tin and then go off and swop them with other friends I have often wondered to this day where they came from.

Satellite

As Rector, Dr Thomas Bray spent little time in the parish. He is best remembered for being one of the founders of the Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge (S.P.C.K) and the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (S.P.G) both of which were founded during his time as Rector of Sheldon. Also during his time as Rector he set up the first school in Sheldon in 1704 which was originally held in the church itself and which continued until 1937 (although by then in its own buildings), Brays road is named after the Rector, Dr Thomas Bray.Len.

Last edited:
Giles Church Sheldon

Satellite

A drawing of St Giles church dating from 1865. It is noticeable that there are four pinnacles on the tower, which are not to be seen on the Church in later years. Len.

Len: Those are two fascinating pictures. I certainly wasn't aware of the existence of the portrait of Dr Bray.Coincidentally a few years ago I bumped into a descendent of Dr Bray.He was a professor of politics at a University here in Australia where I now live. We met, twelve thousand miles from Sheldon, over a pint of beer and found to our astonishment that we both came from Sheldon (though we had not known each other) He told me of his connection with the long-serving, esteemed Rector of Sheldon. Strangely at the very same University, the Professor of German was the son of a former headmaster of Holy Family School (against whom we used to play cricket when I captained the team from Blakenhale Rd Primary. Talk about a small world!

The picture you have posted of St Giles also brought back lots of memories. When I contributed to the History of Sheldon ( a publication edited by VHT Skipp) we used to meet on a weekly basis (along with about a dozen other contributors) in the Vestry of St Giles. That is certainly a strange thing about the earlier presence of four pinnacles on the tower of St Giles.I wonder at what date they "disappeared"?

Thanks again, Len.

Ray

The glass beads or "Diamonds " intrigue me. These have been used as trade goods for hundreds of years. Birmingham itself made many such trade goods cheaply e.g. Axes, nails, cheap firearms but uncertain about glass beads. These could be obtained cheaply in India ,a long term trading partner. There were I suppose dealers who would supply all your trade goods for your forth coming expedition up the Orinoco or across the Great Plains. I wonder if there was one such dealer close to the "Diamond Pit" ? Once I start this musing it can mean some late nights.

The Sheldon brand in the USA produces high class glass ware.Coincidence or what ?

Len, Thanks for putting me onto this Thread. I've finally found some time to read it from go to woa. One comment I have to make is that it is predominantly just one side of Coventry Road. So I want to ask if anyone recalls the "other side" which was still Sheldon until the boundaries changed (in the 50's) and it became Solihull. The first point - does anyone recall the Dairy/Cereal Crop Farm in Lyndon Road. It was right oposite my house which was No 279, and adjacent to the "Rover" soccer gounds and stretched as far as the Shops opposite Coverdale Road. It sat where Daylesford Road now runs off Lyndon Road. That farm copped a lot of Jerry bombs. There was (during the war) an Ack Ack Battery either on or very close to the soccer field and there was also a Barrage Balloon tethered there. Jerry was aiming for the Rover Factory (just 1 mile distant) and the Solihull Gas Works. He missed! I also recall the "British Reastaurant" which was located on the Coventry Road side of Melton Avenue. I think there was a Telephone Exchange next to the Restaurant and Police Houses on the corner of Lyndon Road and Coventry Road, across from the Sheldon Cinema.

Regards to all for a very informative Thread. OldBrummie.

Here's another question I forgot.
I believe the houses in Lyndon Road from the Coventry Road end as far as the Coverdale Road shops were built around 1936-7. Dad took out a lease on completeion of No 279 but didn't move in for 24 months or so. What I am interested in is does anyone know when Lyndon Road was laid down as a paved road?

OldBrummie

The Chestnuts pub bought by Kiri Gold and opened as an Asian foods restaurant and experienced all sorts problems from opening is to demolished, so another "pub" bites the dust. Len.

The Chestnuts pub bought by Kiri Gold and opened as an Asian foods restaurant and experienced all sorts problems from opening is to demolished, so another "pub" bites the dust. Len.

Hi Len, Hope you are keeping well.
Am I right in thinking there has been a fire at the "The Chestnuts"..My Partner and I were on the verge of buying that place before it was sold and changed to the Kiri.. pulled out at the last minute despite having spent a fortune on surveys..I often wonder "what if.." but in hindsight I'm glad we didnt go through with it..
The way things are with the trade at the moment, I think we will be losing many "locals"..

Hello Jean, The pub you are thinking of was The Cabin its replacement The Mazeppa whose name was changed to The Radley Arms is now awaiting demolishion, you can`t drink beverages containing alchohol in the area. Len.

Hi Len, Hope you are keeping well.
Am I right in thinking there has been a fire at the "The Chestnuts"..My Partner and I were on the verge of buying that place before it was sold and changed to the Kiri.. pulled out at the last minute despite having spent a fortune on surveys..I often wonder "what if.." but in hindsight I'm glad we didnt go through with it..
The way things are with the trade at the moment, I think we will be losing many "locals"..
Hi Lynne, Thanks for asking, i am OK at the moment but don`t like wet cold weather, hope you and yours are fit & well, re Kiri Gold, the fire happened just after they opened, the Council allowed them to use the kitchen after inspection, went twice later and found vermin infection, ordered them to clean up, on second and last visit closed them down for good, the owners say they have lost in excess of £20,000. it now has security fencing right round the building & awaits the arrival of the wrecking crew, i have no idea what the site will used for, so a not bad pub The Chestnuts was lost. Len.

Last edited:
Hi Len, Glad to hear it ! I don't much care for this weather either. Apart from the usual seasonal coughs and colds, alls well !!
Did they keep the pub part or the live music going ? It was quite a large place for it to have been just a resturant. Perhaps it will be developed for housing, I just hope whatever goes there gets completed, unlike the eyesore across the road from me !!! The Chestnuts was a great Live Music venue, we would have kept that going if we'd have taken it. Lynne

Hi Len, Glad to hear it ! I don't much care for this weather either. Apart from the usual seasonal coughs and colds, alls well !!
Did they keep the pub part or the live music going ? It was quite a large place for it to have been just a resturant. Perhaps it will be developed for housing, I just hope whatever goes there gets completed, unlike the eyesore across the road from me !!! The Chestnuts was a great Live Music venue, we would have kept that going if we'd have taken it. Lynne
Morning Lynn, No live music, quiz nights started, stopped after the fire, just kept open as a restaurant, i think it was a case of one visit never again!. Len.

Does anyone have any information about Lyndon House that was possibly located on Barrows Lane in Sheldon. I cannot find any information about this or any photographs. Thanks

Does anyone have any information about Lyndon House that was possibly located on Barrows Lane in Sheldon. I cannot find any information about this or any photographs. Thanks
It would surprise me if it were that side of the Coventry Road. Is it an old house you're looking for Atherstone?

Hi to all
i used to live on the Radleys from 1950 to 1969 and i have seen lots of photos of the area, but i was wondering has anyone got any photos of the Radleys with the prefabs one side
and the houses on the other. There was a garage at the top of the Radleys and another garage at the corner of mackadown lane.It would be nice to see some photos from that year.
Many Thanks Stars

Kiri Gold is now open again don`t know if its been improved, have never been a customer. Len.

Hi Re-posting lost photos of Sheldon, plus some new ones

The Radleys Sheldon

img512_radleys2.jpg

Image27.jpg

Church Rd looking towards the Radleys.

Image24_Church_Rd_Looking_towards_the_Radleys_1967.jpg

The Radleys Shops 1955

Image22_Shops_at_The_Radleys_1955.jpg

chBernardsGrange.jpg

The Smithy Church Rd Sheldon 1967

Image97E0_The_Smithy_Church_Rd_Sheldon_1967.jpg

Last one for now is St Giles church in Church Rd Sheldon.

Image1.jpg

Regards Stars

Back