• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheldon

Thank you for posting that photo, that switchboard is like the GPO ones at the Sheldon telephone exchange where i worked int he 1970's.
Wendy

Burgess and Garfield looks like a brass ashtray a gift then but now collectable. :)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
So is this concluse the agreed site that once stood Burgess and Garfield, one facebook page give the impression it was at Hays Mills another post here suggests its where the New Inn is today. Wish a photo appears on the horizon.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
The Whirlwind petrol station, (originally Mobile, now BP), has been at the higher junction of Coventry/New Coventry Road for at least 70 years. Burgess and Garfield might have had a site off New Coventry Road, perhaps around where NG Bailey is now but my memory is vague, especially as I mainly passed that area on the bus going to school and the main attraction was the single sheep grazing the garden of the house on the corner of Wagon Lane/NCR.
The New Inn, despite its name, has been at or near its current position adjacent to The Swan since before the invention of the motor car!
I have a very vague memory of B & G on the Coventry Road near Geradline Road, perhaps where the Holiday Inn Express is now, (being confused with the New Inn?).

So is this concluse the agreed site that once stood Burgess and Garfield, one facebook page give the impression it was at Hays Mills another post here suggests its where the New Inn is today. Wish a photo appears on the horizon.

Hi Biggles, I googled "was burgess and Garfield on coventry rd sheldon" and came across this facebook page that is headed "Tilton rd school" I am posting 2 screen shots from this site as its a long (hope this is ok to do??)
It shows a list of business's in the Kelly's directory from 1956 that were all on the coventry rd, there is one on the 2nd screen shot for 1270 coventry rd /geraldine rd, yardley. I google mapped that it shows Holiday inn express on that exact address.
Hi Spargone see you have also posted the memory of it being at that location, maybe we have solved the mystery of B and G.
Sorry Biggles I cant find a photo...
The site was fr-fr.facebook.com I dont have facebook account but was able too access it, there is a very long list on there of the businesses on the coventry rd if anyone is interested.
Wendy

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 7.22.40 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 8.39.13 pm.png

Thank you Wendylee, that means that there was a B&G at Hay Mills in 1956 at least!
Some people think they had premises on the New Coventry Road island, if so when? Certainly in the period 1956-today there have been a lot of changes there, houses demolished and commercial premises changing hands/being demolished.

There Was a B&G just down from the whirlwind garage in the sixties, also the site where the Holiday Inn now stands was also B&G. I believe they became part of Bristol Street Motors, and that site became B S M car hire.

Hi Biggles, I googled "was burgess and Garfield on coventry rd sheldon" and came across this facebook page that is headed "Tilton rd school" I am posting 2 screen shots from this site as its a long (hope this is ok to do??)
It shows a list of business's in the Kelly's directory from 1956 that were all on the coventry rd, there is one on the 2nd screen shot for 1270 coventry rd /geraldine rd, yardley. I google mapped that it shows Holiday inn express on that exact address.
Hi Spargone see you have also posted the memory of it being at that location, maybe we have solved the mystery of B and G.
Sorry Biggles I cant find a photo...
The site was fr-fr.facebook.com I dont have facebook account but was able too access it, there is a very long list on there of the businesses on the coventry rd if anyone is interested.
Wendy

View attachment 132804

View attachment 132808

HI Wendy
Thank you for looking , I have searched many times but only came up with facebook page saying Burgess and Garfield Hays Mills, maybe a photo might turn up one day, it was wher my 1925 car was that was used for Carolina brothers wedding, I was so very thankful to receive these delightful photos because they are part of my cars history.
Its funny I have only ever lived south of the Thames but seem to be increasingly interested in Birmingham. I painted a picture of Kingsheath and connected with DJ Nortons webste host. I purchased mascot for my car made in Birmingham in the 20s and now as you know the garage that owned my car in the 60s .
But dont get me wrong my roots are on the S.E. Coast. I wasnt planning on moving :)
Youve given me something to check out thanks. Richard

HI Wendy
Thank you for looking , I have searched many times but only came up with facebook page saying Burgess and Garfield Hays Mills, maybe a photo might turn up one day, it was wher my 1925 car was that was used for Carolina brothers wedding, I was so very thankful to receive these delightful photos because they are part of my cars history.
Its funny I have only ever lived south of the Thames but seem to be increasingly interested in Birmingham. I painted a picture of Kingsheath and connected with DJ Nortons webste host. I purchased mascot for my car made in Birmingham in the 20s and now as you know the garage that owned my car in the 60s .
But dont get me wrong my roots are on the S.E. Coast. I wasnt planning on moving :)
Youve given me something to check out thanks. Richard
Hi Wendy I just looked and see Geraldine road close by, that was mentioned earlier on this thread. Reading post here it seems that all points to Holiday in express plus one or two possibly minor sites. Interesting!

Many years ago in the late 50-60 played all our football matches on the pitches by the church .Great times

Spooky. I've seen reference to the model railway in Sheldon but dont remember it but having seen the video it triggered a childhood recollection of sitting astride a carriage drawn by a small steam engine or maybe this was at Drayton Manor??

Spooky. I've seen reference to the model railway in Sheldon but dont remember it but having seen the video it triggered a childhood recollection of sitting astride a carriage drawn by a small steam engine or maybe this was at Drayton Manor??
Campbells Green was quite a small field. I think that when we went there it was because they hosted something like a scout fair and the train ride was an extra.
cgreen.jpgMy crude sketch of where the track was.

I mentioned the Birmingham Society of Model Engineers' track at Campbell's Green, long replaced by housing.

I am pleased to see that they found a new home and still operate in Hockley Heath on an even larger scale than the Sheldon days.

This video from 2018 will, I'm sure, trigger some memories of riding astride the Sheldon track!

Hi. my dad was a member, he made the brass,castings for the models.he spent many a happy hour at the meetings . god bless him

Back