• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheldon

What happened to the Wheatsheaf? My Dad when he worked for Rover on Lode lane stopped there for a pint on his way home. Johnny Headford my best mate now long gone and I would go there in the evening drink Double Diamonds and rum and anniseed,Great time lots of fun.

The Wheatsheaf building still exists but has been extended as a Toby Carvery and small hotel.wheat.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks looks a lot different now is the Rover plant still there. Also was a chippie across form the pub?
The Rover site is now called Land Rover, cars no longer being produced there. I remember a 'chippie' as being the last shop unit on the parade diagonally opposite The Wheatsheaf, i.e. on Sheaf Lane. Fast food outlets of all varieties have replaced a lot of the old shops.

View attachment 130962
St. Giles church, the old school house above the tower, the church hall still to be built. The now demolished 'new' rectory beyond the hedge. The original(?) 298th Scout Hut in St. Giles paddock on Ragley Drive. [The first hut was a recovered army hut from the Yew Tree anti-aircraft site]. Rugby football posts on what was called King George V Playing Field, now a car park! Stanville Primary School at the top.

Remember the Scout Hut as I was with the 298th for a couple of years 1954-55. Still had contacts up to a couple of years ago. OldBrummie

Remember the Scout Hut as I was with the 298th for a couple of years 1954-55. Still had contacts up to a couple of years ago. OldBrummie

When I was in the 298th in the early 60s the hut was located in that fenced off area of the paddock right next to the park.

Sheldon Fire Station 1975.
A nice photo of a Dennis in the transition style. The Dennis marque is still around - newer owners since the photo, sadly Bedford underwent a much less illustrious future.
I notice another vehicle bay, what was kept there? A Emergency Tender maybe. Maybe there was also a fourth bay.

When I was in the 298th in the early 60s the hut was located in that fenced off area of the paddock right next to the park.
I believe that hut was built from scratch by 'dads and lads'. The space between the rafters was used to store a lot of stuff, like the signs for fête stalls. Originally my dad cut out the letters for 'cakes' in hardboard and hung them on a string for use at St. Giles fairs. Then they were re-painted and new ones, like 'White Elephant', were made with the help of George Farmer, the group leader. Those were the d-i-y days! Driving Test, The Roller Horse and of course 'the seniors' hot dogs cooked on camp-style BBQ, (turf and branches), good times in the paddock!
That hut has been taken over by another scout group.

View attachment 130962
St. Giles church, the old school house above the tower, the church hall still to be built. The now demolished 'new' rectory beyond the hedge. The original(?) 298th Scout Hut in St. Giles paddock on Ragley Drive. [The first hut was a recovered army hut from the Yew Tree anti-aircraft site]. Rugby football posts on what was called King George V Playing Field, now a car park! Stanville Primary School at the top.
Strange to see the corner section of land near the church with no scout hut! Former location of Birmingham 298th A and B group.

Caudle's - I've seen a picture somewhere of them moving equipment for Abelson plant but can no longer find it. But below is a picture of one of their wagons, the one at the bottom must have been taken leaving their yard as the Wells Green shopping precinct can be seen opposite - some of the premises still to be occupied - circa 1967. To the far right would be the entrance to the new Waitrose store which, as I recall was the first ever shop in Sheldon to have electronic opening doors

1548511370238.png

Last edited:
Caudle's - I've seen a picture somewhere of them moving equipment for Abelson plant but can no longer find it. But below is a picture of one of their wagons..
Do you know what the notice says on the loco? The Museum of Science and Industry had a small locomotive donated by Abelson, could this be the one? My recollection was that it was a black 0-4-0, i.e. smaller than this one. If it was being moved from Abelson's yard there would be little purpose in going via Caudle's yard, which suggests that this 0-6-0 didn't come from there.

A nice photo of a Dennis in the transition style. The Dennis marque is still around - newer owners since the photo, sadly Bedford underwent a much less illustrious future.
I notice another vehicle bay, what was kept there? A Emergency Tender maybe. Maybe there was also a fourth bay.
3rd by Emergency Ambulance in the BF&AS days. 4th bay transport van

Last edited:
I used to do all the signwriting for Abelsons back in the late 60's, one bloke in particular stood out big stout guy always wore a cowboy hat, they used to call him Canadian Joe.

Waitrose , Sheldon - opened circa 1963/64 - closed 1983
Didn't that shop re-open as a Bejam? I think I remember chest freezers being sold there as well as food. Frozen items quickly became a grocery standard but in order for that to happen people needed freezers, the ice box in a fridge wasn't enough. Completely off-topic but for a short period we could buy freeze-dried peas, they took up little space and just needed a quick boil in water. A great improvement on traditional dried peas which were only good for soup!

Post 499# I wonder about the following.
What scale and track gauge?
Live steam or electric? or a shelf queen?
Will it have an owners name and herald?
As far as the loco in 493# is concerned I wonder if it sill exists, if so is it operational or awaiting its chance?

Back