• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheldon

The Head Master (Retired) circa 1970? of Hall Green Grant Maintained School lived in Duncroft Rd and went to Cockshut Hill Primary & Secondary schools circa 1947, his name is Peter Whittaker, anyone remember him?

Rowan,

What a shame I was only three when you left. I thought we might have played in the same places at the same time. Well we probably did play in the same places, just different times. We used to have large bonfires either at Cockshutt cottage or in the garden of the flats, next to the school. Our dens might have been in the same place. And we used to get under the fence and play in Sedgemere Sports club grounds. I remember the other gulley too. We also had Dr. Khan.
We had plenty of great places to play.

Ann

A photograph of Sheldon Rectory c. 1925. Built in the 1820's, the main entrance was on the Coventry Rd. It was also known as Sheldonfield House. Home to the Revd. Jones-Bateman from 1860. It was sold for development in 1929.

Ann

Attachments

• Sheldon The Rectory ( Sheldonfield House) Coventry Rd c1925.JPG
    Sheldon The Rectory ( Sheldonfield House) Coventry Rd c1925.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
This is the Moat House, photo is c. 1920, an 18th. century building, and parts of it survived to about 1960 (Moat was filled in approx. 1950)
Also Moat Farm.

Ann

I was unable to replace one photo here

Attachments

• Sheldon Moat House & Moat c1920.JPG
    Sheldon Moat House & Moat c1920.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Sheldon Moat Farm.jpg
    Sheldon Moat Farm.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 109
Ann, The Radley Arms is closed & due to demolished, the District Office it to be demolished and the site has been sold, Yardley which includes Sheldon is now dealt with at the Fox Hollies District Office. Len.

Hi Chesh,

Although it is no longer a pub, the building that was the 'Ye Old Talbot' is still there. It is in Church Rd. Yardley. The place that used to be an old folk's home is just opposite. Not far from the entrance to Queen's park, by Yardley Old Church.

Ann

Thanks Ann, being a newbie still to Birmingham I was getting confused. I live on Church Road, and was thinking I didn't recognise the building. Keep getting my Church Roads mixed up between Yardley and Sheldon.

Chesh, Living in Church Rd you will recognise these two photos, and Welcome to Sheldon. Len.

Attachments

• Sheldon Church___Lych_Gate[1].jpg
    Sheldon Church___Lych_Gate[1].jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Sheldon Church Rd.jpg
    Sheldon Church Rd.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 110
St Giles's, girlfriend says that their is a story about having a connection with the Knights Templer? Her dad apparently told it her when she was younger but she can't remember it now

I thought it could be possibe obviously with Temple Balsall being so close

The Radleys/Brays Rd top of Church Rd. Len.

Attachments

• Sheldon The Radleys.jpg
    Sheldon The Radleys.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 131
The frontage of the shops is being developed with proper car parking bays, The Radleys/ Church Rd corner is finished you go in on off The Radleys then it is one way and you exit onto Church Rd, the Church Rd/Brays corner is being worked on now, the Sheldon heath Rd/Brays Rd corner is next. Len.

Last edited:
Thumbs up for the chippy, Len!

And the shops to the right of the chippy, but over fifty years ago.
The Radley's shops in 1955.

Ann

Attachments

• Sheldon Sheldon Heath Rd 1955.JPG
    Sheldon Sheldon Heath Rd 1955.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 123
Ann, The 1955 shops, in the words of the song " ah yes, i remember them well" Len sings, its a good job you can`t hear me, Ann!!. We had 5 real Butchers in those shops now there are none.

Last edited:
Len,

I'm sure you do a lovely Maurice Chevalier!

I remember every morning, on my way to catch the bus to work, there was always a friendly wave and 'Good morning' from the butchers.
No true greengrocer now either.

Just as an aside. Do you remember Hermione Gingold, who starred opposite Chevalier in 'Gigi'. She died before her biography was published. So, the book was tidied up and completed by a friend of mine, who was a close friend of Hermione.

Ann

Hello Ann, further info (semi official, rumours) on the work being carried out on the corners of Church Rd/Brays Rd/Sheldon Heath Rd/The Radleys on the Radleys pub car park back from the road a Tesco Express or Hotel similar to a Travel Lodge, the "i don`t care if am parking on the pavement block paving" no brainers are to be found all ready, but yellow lines are being put on the road which well apply to the pavement as well, cars have been seen using the service road to get past the cars waiting to turn left from The Radleys into Church Rd, when more info pops up i will post it. Len.

I know at one time the fish shop at the Radleys and the one at the Yew Tree were owned by the same people.

The Meadway S/Hand & New motor spares and Transport company circa 1955, owned by Bill Morris who brought banger racing to Cannock Raceway. Len.

Attachments

• Kitts Green The Meadway 1955 .jpg
    Kitts Green The Meadway 1955 .jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 88
The shops on The Meadway opposite Lidl`s store & the Bingo hall on the former BSA Tools factory site. Len.

Attachments

• mackadown.JPG
    mackadown.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 70
Sheldon Police Station, keep out of here!!. Len.

Attachments

• Sheldon Police Stn.jpg
    Sheldon Police Stn.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 73
Len,

That's what the police there said to me in the 50's, when I was for ever dropping in with stray dogs.

Upset them again, when my brother, on a cycle ride to Coleshill, found a large bag of silver. When he brought it home, we got out all the silver candlesticks etc., and placed them round the lounge. We then took them to Sheldon police station. 'Have you touched them.', they asked. Well, all the family had, so they then had to come and take all our fingerprints for elimination. My brother got a small reward though.

Ann

Hello,

I grew up, and still live in, Sheldon. As children we used to play over King George V playing fields (at the back of St. Giles Church). This is now called Sheldon Country Park.

Anybody know why was it called King George V?

Elly x

elly, "Why King George's Field"?. Len.

The NPFA is the Trustee of the King George’s Fields Foundation (KGFF). The Foundation was established as a Memorial to the Late King George V by Trust Deed on the 3 November, 1936. The objects of the Trust were "to promote and to assist in the establishment throughout the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland of Playing Fields for the use and enjoyment of the people every such Playing Field to be styled ‘King George’s Field’ and to be distinguished by heraldic panels or other appropriate tablet medallion or inscription commemorative of the King."
The Trust defined a playing field as ‘any open space used for the purpose of outdoor games, sports and pastimes’.
These playing fields have their origins in an appeal launched shortly after the death of George V in March 1936. Rather than finance the entire cost of a few schemes, grants were given towards the cost of as many fields as possible, the balance being raised by the local authority or other organisation providing the field and accepting responsibility for its maintenance. In most cases, the responsible body entered into a Deed of Dedication declaring that the recreation ground shall "be preserved in perpetuity as a Memorial to His Late Majesty under the provisions of the KGFF and shall henceforth be known as a 'King George’s Field'." The NPFA would act, as administrator, to look at and consider proposals in order to allocate grants.
A Charity Commission Scheme was made on 1 December, 1965 passing the trusteeship of the Foundation to the NPFA and, among other things, widening the objects of the Foundation to include the "preservation" of the King George’s Fields.

Len, you are a star. Many thanks for the info.

As kids we never questioned the name- we were just glad to have somewhere play! During the summer we used the field as a short cut to get to Sheldon Heath Comp- it used to flood in the winter.

It's still a lovely open space- now with a proper path that cuts through to Marston Green train station.

Thanks Len.
Elly

winter near Bham airport.jpgWinter sunshine.JPG

Sheldon Country Park is a favourite walk of mine with my 2 dogs from Meriden park Chelmsley Wood, along the

brook, across Bell Lane, under the railway viaduct and there we are a dog walkers paradise. I was inspired to do this painting of the brook in Sheldon Park just

beyond the railway viaduct near the airport perimeter fence. Eric

That is a lovely painting.
We used to back onto this park also. The brook ran along the bottom of our garden. We had a very low fence so it appeared that the brook was in our garden. We had wonderful views looking over to St Giles Church.
It was as if we were deep in the countryside.
In summer time we would watch the cricket matches and found the sound of the Bat and ball soothing.
In the late 1970's saw the redevelopement for the Sheldon Country Park. Some lovely trees were planted but this blocked our scenic view , as we had also out grown the house we decided to move.

Sadly, I now have unhappy and tragic memories of the park.

Bo

Yes, beautiful painting.

Thankyou for sharing your memories Bo- it certainly is a bit different for the houses that back onto the park now. I know security has been an issue for some living there, and have had to erect very tall fences- such a shame, as it sounded quite idylic.
I'm so sorry you now have unhappy memories of the park-
for us, especially when the children were small, the park was a bit of countryside on the doorstep, great for riding bikes and flying their kites.

After reading Len's message again perhaps you can answer a question for me Bo-:

elly, "Why King George's Field"?. Len.

every such Playing Field to be styled ‘King George’s Field’ and to be distinguished by heraldic panels or other appropriate tablet medallion or inscription commemorative of the King."

Did you know of any such plaque or panel for Sheldon Park?

Elly x

The first photo shows the trolley bus terminal in 1951. The trolley bus route to the Swan was extended to here in 1936, as the no. 94, and ran until it was replaced by the no. 58 bus in 1951

The second shows the terminus today

And last photo shows Coventry Rd at Hatchford Brook..

Ann

Attachments

• Sheldon Coventry Rd Terminus Arden Oak.jpg
    Sheldon Coventry Rd Terminus Arden Oak.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 132
  • bus terminus.JPG
    bus terminus.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Sheldon Coventry Rd Arden Oak bus terminus.JPG
    Sheldon Coventry Rd Arden Oak bus terminus.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 133