• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheldon

Just reading some of these old posts and came across this one of yours, I grew up in in Campden Green and our old milkman was the same on as yours, I remember his name being Dennis Bryant.
Just reading some of these old posts and came across this one of yours, I grew up in in Campden Green and our old milkman was the same on as yours, I remember his name being Dennis Bryant.
Greetings Arthur.
Memories!!! They often crop up right out of the blue. I don't think I ever knew Dennis's name but now you've mentioned him I can see him as clear as day. I can't remember if he ever became 'mechanized" but as a kid, I loved his horse. Dad knew him personally and as an accountant I believe he helped him with his accounts. As far as I can recall, Dennis and his horse were delivering milk as far back as the (early 1940's) war years.
Also, when I was born, your area was where the Rover Company Social Club Soccer Field was, and access was via a pathway/driveway opposite our house (No 279 Lyndon Road).

Peter.

Greetings Arthur.
Memories!!! They often crop up right out of the blue. I don't think I ever knew Dennis's name but now you've mentioned him I can see him as clear as day. I can't remember if he ever became 'mechanized" but as a kid, I loved his horse. Dad knew him personally and as an accountant I believe he helped him with his accounts. As far as I can recall, Dennis and his horse were delivering milk as far back as the (early 1940's) war years.
Also, when I was born, your area was where the Rover Company Social Club Soccer Field was, and access was via a pathway/driveway opposite our house (No 279 Lyndon Road).

Peter.
Hi Peter.
My parents were first in our house in Campden Green when it was new in 1953, my brother was just a babe in arms and I appeared the following year. When I was a Kid Dennis had indeed become mechanized and had an electric Midland Counties milk float, he delivered our milk up to and beyond me leaving home in the late 70's. He had a son who I think was called Philip and a daughter whose name I can't recall, Phil was about my age.

Arthur.

where the Rover Company Social Club Soccer Field was, and access was via a pathway/driveway opposite our house (No 279 Lyndon Road).

Peter.
Hi, Peter,
Never knew Rover had a sports field there, when I played against Rover for WB I'm fairly sure the sports field was quite near the Solihull factory, would have been early 60's.

Hi, Peter,
Never knew Rover had a sports field there, when I played against Rover for WB I'm fairly sure the sports field was quite near the Solihull factory, would have been early 60's.
Of course I'm going back a fair distance and only remember the fields being used (basically soccer) in the late 40's and early 50's. But I do remember the total transformation when everything in sight was bulldozed and the roads and houses and Lyndon School went in.
I also remember (but didn't physically see) a 'barrage balloon' tethered somewhere in that area. And the reason I remember it was because Dad was an ARP Warden, on duty one evening, when the balloon broke it's tether and drifted from the soccer field and across the hoses in Lyndon Road, it's tether getting stuck around the chimney of the "Cooks" house (No 286 I think). Pete.

Jim, the map is very similar to the one Solihull Council suggested. I know Kents Cottages. They ran alongside Chapel Fields School. Just below them is The Ulleries - a farm located where Ulleries Road now goes off Lyndon Road and a bit further on, Chapel Fields Farm. Going back the other way (right from Kents cottages) is another building with a P on it . This is opposite where Coverdale Road now takes off from Lyndon Road. This, I think, must be the Farm I am looking for. Approximately an inch to the right would be where the milking shed was and 279 is on the other side of Lyndon Road. Further on still is Wells Green Farm - right on the junction of Lyndon Road and Coventry Road. Site of the Sheldon Cinema and The Bob Bon Sweet Shop.
My thanks again. Pete.

OldBrummie.
Some of my granny Harding's family lived in Kent's Cottages on the census in 1921. Lydia Ann Rixom married George Harding and he died (after they had 16 kids) so her second husband was Joseph Dumbleton (in 1916). The Hardings were from Meriden/Coleshill way, I don't know much about the Dumbletons. In 1911 the Hardings were shown as living in Lyndon Cottages.

02 Apr 1911 • Lyndon Cottages, Solihull, Warwickshire, England​

Marital Status: Widowed; Relation to Head of House: Head. Name Age Lydia Harding 54 Fred Harding 20 Arthur Harding 7 Victor Harding 14 Lydia Harding 10

1921 • 10 Kents Cottage, Sheldon, Birmingham
Joseph Dumbleton 69 Brickyard Labourer, Yardley Brickworks Lydia A. Dumbleton 67 born in London housewife

Hi all, I’m researching on my household/vicinity of for any historical findings. I live in a new build and I’ve had some weird experiences. Around a few years ago, whilst I was watching something on tv, I looked into the corner of my eye and saw a shadow person ( it was around the height of six foot and it was just black - no face.) I immediately froze and reached out for the nearest thing to my left which was a febreeze can (I don’t know what i was going to do. spray the ghost away?) Well, for a while after that there’s always been a feeling of being watched and tonight me and my partner did a sensory deprivation method to contact any ghosts of the past (not welcoming them to stay) and something weird came through - he felt like he could see a black figure, much like the one i saw years prior. I’m just hoping for any historians, archives or anyone who can help with any factual information if anyone lived or died on these land plots. I around the area of Mickleton Avenue, Radley’s park and the King Edwards Sheldon Heath school. This may be a dead end but I couldn’t find anything off of the internet and this was the only active forum Ive found. Thank you and looking forward to any replies you guys may have!

Hi,From 1960 to 1970 my family lived on Sheldon Heath Road just around the corner from an area of open ground that we called The Moat,now called Hays Kents Moat.The area had a deep wide ditch around the perimeter which was a great adventure playground and off road cycle track for us kids and I have often wondered about its history.There is a care home on the site now.I have looked back through the archive but can find no mention.Regards Roy

The area you are referring to, is i believe where the original settlement of Sheldon was created.

Mackadown Lane was named after a local chieftain 'Macca' so the area itself has a long history.

Although that in itself does not really answer your question, apologies for that...

Kents Moat was the site of one of the medieval Manor houses of the Sheldon Parish. Victor Skipp wrote a very interesting book about the three field system of those times. The Comp bordered this area and was part of our cross country course. There were other manor houses in this area.

Hi,From 1960 to 1970 my family lived on Sheldon Heath Road just around the corner from an area of open ground that we called The Moat,now called Hays Kents Moat.The area had a deep wide ditch around the perimeter which was a great adventure playground and off road cycle track for us kids and I have often wondered about its history.There is a care home on the site now.I have looked back through the archive but can find no mention.Regards Roy

I do remember that area, I walked past it to get to school, I think the fair stopped there sometimes, or am i wrong?:)

Living in Small Heath during the 1960s, Sheldon with it's bow windowed semies was regarded as posh. If you moved to Sheldon (or dream on Solihull) you had made it! The 58 and 60 buses took you to Sheldon if you stayed on them long enough! I always got off these buses at Mansell Road near the George & Dragon in Small Heath. I did live in Sheldon and Solihull in later life and they didn't seem that posh after all.

Hi. I am trying to trace photographs and information about my in-laws' family farm, Chestnuts Farm, which was on Garretts Green Lane in the very early 1900s. I have looked at some old maps and although it is not marked on them I assume it is close to The Chestnuts which I believe was an old manor house in the area. Does anyone by any chance have any information that could help me with my search please.

You may have seen this but there's a photo of The Chestnuts and a drawing of an unnamed farm here...

Thanks for those four pictures.#2&#3 are familiar to me, but can't place #1&#4. I remember a farm on the right of Garretts Green Lane just east of the junction with Sheldon Heath Rd. it could be the one in your picture, can't make anything out on the finger posts. Could the larger house(The Chestnuts) be the building in the 1902 map opposite Sheldon Heath Rd. "petebrewer" when you say the original Chestnut Tree was in the middle of the roundabout are you referring to the house in Phil's picture. The original 1950's pub was only slightly forward of the new building, certainly not on the island. Phil did the "Meadway" become a Lidl.

View attachment 102880

Hi. I am trying to trace photographs and information about my in-laws' family farm, Chestnuts Farm, which was on Garretts Green Lane in the very early 1900s. I have looked at some old maps and although it is not marked on them I assume it is close to The Chestnuts which I believe was an old manor house in the area. Does anyone by any chance have any information that could help me with my search please.

I don't know a lot about the history of the area other than I used the Meadway public house for a while in the 80's , but I assume these are the same area of Garretts Green Lane in different time periods.
These pictures from "Phil" show a Chestnuts in Garretts Green, where St Thomas's Church was built in 1950's

Here's an old photo of the Chestnuts, regards, John.

Attachments

• The Chestnuts, Garretts Green.jpg
    The Chestnuts, Garretts Green.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 11
Hi,

I don't remember the farm, but I do remember a large old derelict barn on that land between
Garretts Green Lane and the Radleys around 1960.

A friend and I had taken our girlfriends there one Saturday afternoon, - there was still plenty
of hay in there! Well, we hadn't been there for more that an few minutes when a couple of lads
came into the barn with guns slung over their arms, and the one said to the other " You can usually
bag a few rats in here". We called out to them fearing that if we moved without letting them know
we might get shot. We all had a good laugh about it, but it did spoil that Saturday afternoon!

Kind regards
Dave

Caudle's - I've seen a picture somewhere of them moving equipment for Abelson plant but can no longer find it. But below is a picture of one of their wagons, the one at the bottom must have been taken leaving their yard as the Wells Green shopping precinct can be seen opposite - some of the premises still to be occupied - circa 1967. To the far right would be the entrance to the new Waitrose store which, as I recall was the first ever shop in Sheldon to have electronic opening doors

View attachment 131065
History of the locomotive leaving Caudle's yard

Back