• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheldon shops

I remember coming home from Cubs at the hall next to Sheldon church in about 1957. It was winter and the pavements were icy. I was with my mate and I was pulling his sledge with him on it as I passed those shops on the corner of common lane and church lane, when my feet slipped beneath me. Down I went flat on my face. There was blood everywhere with a bloody nose, and a broken front tooth. I walked all the way home up common lane, into barrows lane and home at the newsagents in brays road. When older I had the front tooth capped which is still there to remind now 60 years later.
Happy days.
The very spot in the photo the above incident happened radleys

I've got a Kelly's for 1969:

Comberton Road: from Rotherfield to Frodesley on the right side:

Peter Ltd Turf Accountant
17 Chas. Holland, Newsagent
19 Kim's Drapers
21 DJ Hathaway, Fruitier
23 Denise Shirley, Ladies Hairdresser
25 RH Goode Flooring Ltd.
43/45 Birmingham Co-operative Society
49 Ministry of Transirt Test Centre
47 Burbidge & Sons, Butchers
51 Williams Cycles
53 Tennants Fancy Goods
55 Jim's Hairdressers
57 Mrs Hatcher, Beer Retailer.

I lived in Rotherfield Road in 1969-1970. I used to buy LP's from the Williams as they also sold a few records as well as cycles. My friends mother used to live in a flat above the shops.
Hi well I was born in Frodesley Road, well not in the road but at number 51 in 1951 so I predate the above list. I was the family runner to go to the shops in Comberton Road for what ever we were short of. I can still remember my Dad saying to me, 'Go on son as quick as you like. I'll start counting, see how quick you can run ' He would start counting as I left the house-you can bet he stopped once I had gone and then when I got back home breathless he would go, 'a hundred and ten, a hundred and eleven. Well done son its a record time' Anyway I am pretty sure back in the day that first shop was Wrensons, then Hollands sweet shop and I will probably go with the others named. That shop and its boiled sweets were responsible for the extraction of at least 6 teeth at the school dentist in Church Road Yardley. Gas mask and a clamp to keep my mouth open! Jim's barbers omg. Canadian he was and he would ask what style you wanted and then give everyone the same short back and sides. Often hear him say to the men in the shop as they paid before they left, 'Anything for the weekend sir.' The alley way half way up the line of shops was where we played when it rained, that alley way led to another alleyway which led to Packwood Road, our football and cricket pitch. A circle of grass with a road around its circumference. There was a tarmac pathway straight across the middle and that was where we had our wickets. Six if you hit it in the air to the road and four if it went along the ground. Oh how many test matches did we play there ? Happy days

Back