• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheldon shops

Hi Radleys
I remember having a stye on my eye lanced by her. And yes she was
very straight and abrupt. I remember she had a pug dog who was allowed to
roam the surgery.

Your right Radleys, his name was Fred Evans, there was an artical about him in the Mail when he sold the shop to developers and retired. He had been trading there for over 50 years.

I remember Dr Redlich, she used to put the fear of god into me as a kid. I think she was Austrian although I may be wrong.

John

Yes, it was called Woodroffe's at the junction of Cranes Park Road and Church Road, on the side of the Midland Red bus stop that was for the buses into Solihull. Old man Woodroffe lived on Dovehouse Lane in Solihull and he would sell fireworks to all of us who were under 14. I can still see his balding head, white hair and sharp-nosed face now when I think back.

It was a fascinating store, there were hardware shelves upon hardware shelves and one side of the store sold sweets that Rowberry's the Newsagents didn't. The store had such a particular smell to it and I can still remember that smell today, easily 40 years later.

Thats a perfect discription of mr Woodroffe, He used to sell groceries as well and if you bought certain things on a Sunday he would wrap them up in news paper to hide them. The only origanal shop left is the newsagents.

Hi All
There was a doctors house about 4 houses down from the Radleys shops, across the road from
The big old house ( The Elms i think) The doctors name was Redlitch, sorry for the spelling, she was a German
doctor.
I lived in Sheldon Heath road from 1956 to 1970 and remember her!!, I too was petrified of her, you had to have your polio etc injections and I'm sure she used a knitting needle to inject, soo painful, I dreaded going for injections. I once gashed my hand and had to have 3 metal clips stuck in there to close the wound,i was about 6 years old I still have the scars from the cut and the
holes from the staples, when it healed she had to pull them out pouch happy days :(( she was a bit abrupt I must say.

Yes i remember Foster Bros, 12/6p for my sky blue jeans and i would put them on and sit in the bath
to make them shrink, (i needed a shoe horn to get them off.My mother would say you will regret that
when you are older,how right she was. I think these are on the Sheldon thread, but beings we are on about the shop names
i thought i would put them here. Also at the end past maypole was Paynes the shoe repairers.

View attachment 82868

View attachment 82869

Regards Stars
Wow what great photos, brought back memories. The sweet shop had a cadburys chocolate vending machine outside and you could get your hand up and get a bar without paying. The sweets were on the right as you entered and the papers on the left.The land down Sheldon Heath road had not been developed yet and opposite that land was open shrub land where every year there was a fair with big wheel, dodgers etc that as a young kid I used to visit, I remember the early Stones music playing on the waltzers and all the smells from the candyfloss and diesel fumes.

ZoomButt.gif
ZoomButt.gif
ZoomButt.gif
ZoomButt.gif

Last edited:
Heres a pic of Comberton Rd shops 1956. I think I took my driving test from here somewhere.

Comberton Road Shops sheldon 1956.jpg

Rick, I remember the Sheldon Heath mob I think, wasn't one Roger Cox, known as Rocky, He became a famous Elvis impersonator, great singer.

Tony, Roger (rocker) is alive and well and still singing. It was Demis Roussos (spelling) who he impersonated.

I remember a fish and chip shop up from the movie theatre before the Cov Rd split. also a pub in the start of the split Cov Rd, Barrow Lane joined the Cov Rd just there. John Crump Parker, Colorado USA

I remember a fish and chip shop up from the movie theatre before the Cov Rd split. also a pub in the start of the split Cov Rd, Barrow Lane joined the Cov Rd just there. John Crump Parker, Colorado USA

I think the chip shop is now a curry house, and they knocked the pub down and its now an Aldi supermarket

Last edited:
Hi Sheldontony
Yes as stated Roger Cox was nown as rocker, i used to hang around
with his brother Barry. I think Rocker used hang around with the delisha mob, some names were sugar, smell, and chad.
I think it was the Grange pub where he used to sing on a Sunday Dinner. I do remember the chocholate machine on the wall outside tailor and waynes that you could put
your hand up and get a free bar.....so they tell me. I also remember there was a rail between Gosbell the butchers and Deeming where i would sit astride
the bar and swing round. Ough happy days.

I remember Holland's the Newsagent on the Comberton Road- Not the friendliest couple if memory serves me right. I remember having my change thrown onto the counter more than once. I seem to remember the man (Mr. Holland???) been quite thin and his wife being the exact opposite if you know what I mean! Also, wasn't there a wool shop next to Hollands run by the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hathaway (I think her name may have been Denise???)

That's right Nick, I remember now that Woodruff's was on Cranes Park Road. Robert, I also seem to remember the Newsagent on the junction of Church Road and Common Lane- I used to call in for sweets on the way to school. I think it was called 'Fred's'? - although I may be completely wrong!

Yes it was "Freds" I used to go there with my sisters for ice lols, jubilee's and sweets in the 1960's then I took my kids there when they were small, Fred had all the large lolly jars, he would weigh out for you, remember the kali?

Hi Sheldontony
with his brother Barry. I think Rocker used hang around with the delisha mob, some names were sugar, smell, and chad.
I think it was the Grange pub where he used to sing on a Sunday Dinner. I do remember the chocholate machine on the wall outside tailor and waynes that you could put
your hand up and get a free bar.....so they tell me. I also remember there was a rail between Gosbell the butchers and Deeming where i would sit astride
Hi Sheldontony

Roger Cox was the goalie for the team my hubby played for (stirrup cup) and Barry Cox was in my year at school! Hubby remembers Roger singing too.

That's right Nick, I remember now that Woodruff's was on Cranes Park Road. Robert, I also seem to remember the Newsagent on the junction of Church Road and Common Lane- I used to call in for sweets on the way to school. I think it was called 'Fred's'? - although I may be completely wrong!

Yes there was a sweet shop /newsagent at the bottom of common lane and the owner for many years was Fred, I bought sweets and ice-cream there when I was a kid, years on I would take my kids there on the way home from my mums in common Lane . There was also a small grocers next door cant remember the name of it.

Back