• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheldon Heath Comprehensive

oldallens

proper brummie kid
SHELDON
This thread has inspired me to send my first post! As a lad from Cotteridge/Kings Norton, in 1956 I was unaware of far-flung districts such as Sheldon but all that changed when I was told my Secondary education was to be at the brand new SHELDON HEATH COMPREHENSIVE SCHOOL. I was one of its most undistinguished pupils for nearly 3 years (at which time we moved to Kent) from Summer 1956 to Spring 1959. At that time, this wonderful school had only been open for one year & the builders were still on site. After the cosy atmosphere of Bournville Primary, this ultra modern "big" school was a revelation by contrast & I was really very happy, despite long bus rides each day. Anyone else got memories of this school for the same time period? Pity there's not an Old Girls & Boys Society for the school, or is there?
David.

Hi Oldallens,

What a wonderful school, offering some wonderful opportunities.
Lower School has now been demolished .
Lower being for 1st and 2nd years with 12 classes / forms in each year.
There is a main reunion every 10 years , next one about 2015.
My name is automatically on mailing list for next reunion.
Unsure who you would need to contact perhaps admin ?
The last one was a memorable occasion for me, I slipped on a wet floor and broke my elbow. Still suffering to date .
I understand that smaller groups meet occasionally , possibly at the Arden Oak Sheldon

Sheldon Heath Girl
Bo

G'day, Oldallens,
I was at Sheldon Heath between 1955 and 1962 so our paths may have crossed. I am guessing that I was in the year ahead of you. I have some happy memories of the School.I was a busy person in those days (not like now when all I am looking for is a quiet life!) I was captain of the School's cricket XI, played in the football team, and later, in the rugby XV, captain of the chess team, editor of the School magazine ("Microcosm") and House Captain (Nightingale House). My form master was Cliff Stanley, a larger than life character who, I am told, died prematurely of a heart attack about twenty years ago. The Head Master was Joe Smith, a cold, very rational man. My most vivid memory of him was one occasion when I was due to play chess for Warwickshire at Cheltenham. Joe Smith, a very proficient chess player was also due to play for Warwickshire on one of their top boards and he kindly offered to give me a lift in his car. On the way back we ran into a very thick fog and somehow he managed to crash his car into the back of another car. Neither of us was badly hurt but shaken up. Incredibly luckily, another teacher from the School, Harvey Jones, happened to be passing us in his car and was able to transport us back to Birmingham. What a champion! I left Sheldon Heath in 1962 to go to Leeds University and in 1968, not long after graduation, emigrated to Australia (where I have happily resided since!) But occasionally I still get nostalgic about those distant school days and wonder what happened to everyone. I have fond memories of many of the teachers: Victor Skipp, the history master, Derek Briggs, the geography master, Alec Pearson, the Art master, Ms Roper-Nunne, the French teacher, Reg Summers, the Religious Education teacher, Reg Worrall, the maths teacher.just to name a few. The most formidable person in my memory was Hilda Roberts, the Deputy Head, who took us for elocution. She was very contemptuous of our Birmingham accents! Yes, happy days, mostly! What's your story, David?

Regards, Ray

Hello Bo,
and thanks for your reply. Yes, it was the right educational formula at the time; there seemed to be so many different streams you could follow in the search for a suitable career path. Plus, the facilities were superb & I'm sad to think that the part where I spent two very happy years is no more. Houses in its place, I suppose. Now I'm back in the Birmingham area, its high time I made one of my nostalgic trips around key locations so I'll have a cruise down Garretts Green Lane soon. Thanks for the thought, I'll take up your suggestion to call the admin office to see if i can join the next reunion.
Be well............& avoid wet floors!
David.

Robert, thanks for your reply.
I've been able to make contact with one old classmate on Friends Reunited but now I know to search "Sheldon Heath Community School" I'll try again. I was unaware that a name change had taken place & was a bit baffled by some of the results I was getting on FR. Mind you, it doesn't take much to baffle me these days!
David.

At last someone has remembered Sheldon Heath Comprehensive; I should have done so years ago!
The school was a no-expense-shared flagship school, heralded in by the Labour Government as the way education in this country would be provided in the future. I believe it was a happy school, I know that I loved it –shiney and new and with the best teachers around. Being a true ‘comprehensive’ there was a socio-economic and educational mix that rarely actually mixed. There was a ‘remedial’ department headed by Mr. French. He had a remedy for all educational problems – his cane! He did not teach us in the ‘higher echelons’ of the school but several of my classmates and I had a bizarre experience that was to be the foundation of ‘The Boomerang Club’. Frenchie had been on holiday to Australia, a very rare experience, and had returned with a boomerang. At break time he had decided to give us an impromptu demonstration of the ancient aborigine hunting skill. However, lean and fit aborigine he was not; podgy, balding sixty-year-old he was! Time after time the weapon would lethargically spin from his hand, only to come crashing down into the ground at a distance. He would trudge out, getting redder and puffier with every failed attempt. There was a small group of us watching this display, which of course we found increasingly humourous; Frenchie’s humour though had long evaporated as sweat. He ordered us to stand back for safety, still harbouring the forlorn hope of a return flight. Another failure brought forth another riotous outburst of laughter from us; he had had enough. He stormed back towards us and in a typically sexist outburst ordered all the boys to his room for a demonstration of another use for a boomerang! Once up in his room, down came his cane from the top of the blackboard. “First one, bend over” he bellowed, is his face red, puffed and enraged even more; one Reginald Reynolds, being the smallest, found himself suddenly at the front and received three whipping stokes. Not satisfied with the damage he felt he had managed to inflict, Frenchie raged, “ that’s no damned good!” and stormed into his storeroom, emerging a few seconds later with a collection of odd pieces of wood, which he was soon shattering in all directions on our backsides. We were totally transfixed at this bizarre display, he was obviously totally mad! And so The Boomerang Club was born!
We enjoyed English, taught by Clifford Stanley, who was recalled in an earlier post. He was something of a cult figure and a lunatic driver who had a number of vehicles over the years: A 1930’s Austin Seven; an RME Riley and an Austin A35. He drove everywhere at breakneck speed, the tyres squealing out a protest at every turn. The A35 was the first in the line of ‘boy-racer’ cars, before the Morris Minor and Mini. It would lean precariously as it did four wheel drifts to the left and right at the traffic roundabout at the Garretts Green Lane and Sheldon Heath Road junction. Occasionally, so Mr Stanley told us, the Austin Seven would simply tip up onto its side. He would climb out of the uppermost door, tip the car back unto its wheels and scream off, as if all was quite normal.
As I progressed through the school, it grew. When I started, the building work was still underway. When I left, it was finished and there were 1700 pupils. When I returned for the fortieth anniversary reunion, parts of the original lower-school building were about to be pulled down, and a new block completed, all this had been finished by the time of the fiftieth anniversary celebrations. Sometime in between, a music room had been added to the middle school, totally alien in design to the original building, it was a 'carbuncle', totally out of keeping. Mr. Smith would never have allowed it to happen; he had ‘class’!
Ted

Hi Ted

I dips my lid to you. That was a rip-roaring description of Dougie French, the lunatic and the sadist. If you are the Ted I think you are, say "hi" to Jill from me.

Cheers, Ray

Good to hear from you, Ray.
Yes, it seems you were a year ahead of me & I can't recall that there was much common ground between the various years. One name from your era is memorable, JOHN KING, who shared part of my bus journey home so we chatted. Most of your teacher names I don't know so it seems that different teachers worked with different years. Names we do have in common are Joe Smith, Reg Worrall, Derek Briggs & Deputy Head Roberts; she was always banging on about "self-control" I remember because she mentioned it frequently when taking Assembly. The slightest cough from a pupil would send her off into her latest lecture on the subject. Wasn't there another Deputy, a chap named Marshall who played nasty cop to Smith's nice cop.
My form teacher in 56/57 was Mr Probert, 57/58 was Miss Luckett but I (& two back-sliding pals) dropped down a class in 58/59 with Miss Holland. French was taught by Miss Hanko, PE was Mr Stevenson, Science by Mr Murphy; it was he who advised my Mother not to take me out of the school but, for other reasons, she was unable to take his well-intentioned advice so, two terms into my 3rd year, we moved to Kent. There I was shoe-horned into a boys only Grammar School &, educationally, sank without trace.
"Microcosm" published a poem of mine: thank you, Ed!
Rugby: in the 57/58 year an additional games master appeared, Mr James; his main job was to introduce rugby to our footballing school. For unfathomable reasons, he "took against" two close pals of mine plus me, unfairly so , it seemed to us. I've never shown much interest in rugby since that time!
Overall, I attended four schools & enjoyed my self enormously. But, it was the sheer magnificance at Sheldon Heath that impressed me most; Mr Murphy was right, I'd've done much better if I'd been able to stay there but what happens, happens.
Ah, but Ray, isn't nostalgia a truly wonderful emotion.
Be well.
David.

'Afternoon, Ted & thanks for your amusing reply. We seem to've triggered a response from Ray (in Oz) who remembers you. As I've just said to him, I was in the year behind you guys, having started in 1956 when the school was so new there was only your year ahead of me. I had no idea there was a Remedial Department.
At Sheldon Heath, we had so much to go at & I recall the feeling that we'd be encouraged to shape our own destiny. This, for me, was a major shock after so many happy years at Bournville Junior School where we were supportively led by the hand all the time: I was fulfilled at both schools despite their massive differences. Leaving Sheldon two-thirds of the way through my 3rd year, for family reasons, was & remains a disappointment but career-wise it ultimately proved to be a good turning point.
You know, Ted, even now I still have the occasional happy dream about being back at Bournville or Sheldon Heath; I like to o.d. on nostalgia whenever I can.
Now then, where did I put my satchel?
Be well.
David.

Hi Aspire, The "Comp" is now called King Edward Sheldon Heath Academy. the badge now has the letters KESH in gold.

Hi Can someeone explain to me why Sheldon Heath Comp has changed its name so dramatically. I am twelve thousand miles away and it seems quite bizarre, to say nothing of being quite pretentious And the School badge that I remember had a white hart and arrow following the legend of St Giles. This is about the third name-change it's had, which is no way to build a school tradition, I would have thought.

Ray (in bewilderment)

Many of the comprehensive secondary schools in the country are having the control of their affairs taken away from local education authorities and are now being run directly from central government.
The schools now controlled by central government have changed their names to Academies.

Thanks Alberta!

As we say in Oz, this is like a mad woman's knitting! What has brought all this about? Is it a backlash against the Labour government? Is there an implicit suggestion that the Comprehensive experiment has failed and is to be expunged from the Universe? I wonder what the crux of the failure was seen to be? Was it financial, academic, sociological or what?Admittedly I have lost touch with much of the politics of the Old Country but I am still bewildered!

Ray

Hi I've been asked to find out what the sheldon Heath school house names were in the 1960/70s the three I know of listor, bray and Slessor. Could anyone tell me what the fourth is please. Many thanks

I've just found this forum, and its brought back many memories I spent five years at Sheldon Heath early sixties. Unfortunately I have no recollection of the house names, but some of the staff names I recall Mr Marshall, Mr Swan physics, Miss Coombes RE, and I think there was a Mr Baggs woodwork. My first form teacher taught history but he left to become a monk, I remember our classroom had a model of a wattle and Daub house.

Hi glassalli
I was also at Sheldon Heath Comp in the early sixties, but i also can't remember any house names. I do remember some teachers names like
Mr Dennis, (maths) i think and a good thrower of the board rubber if he caught anyone talking in his class. Mr Harvey Jones, Mr Brunstone, Mr Stewart.
Also a gym teacher Mr Collins. There are some photo's on here of Sheldon Heath Comp.

regards Stars

Hi Glassalli

During the Late 1960's early 1970's Miss Combs was Head Teacher of Middle School ( Sheldon Heath Comprehensive )

After Morning assembly in Middle School Hall as we walked up the steps to leave ( Hall was sunk into ground -Stage was ground level ) I recall Miss Combs standing on the stage with cotton wool and nail polish remover. The girls would have to show their hands/nails to see if we were wearing nail Polish. If any of the girls were wearing mascara they were told to wash it off immediately.

I also recall a tip Miss Combs gave us not long before we left school , - That just before getting married to hold our hands up ( as if in prayer ) so the blood would drain ,this would ensure our hands would be lily white as our husbands placed the wedding ring on our finger.

Miss Combs passed away in July 2005 aged 95 years.

Bo

Hi Ted

I like the word fierce, Miss Coombes stood in once for our RE teacher, and I still remember the metal pointing stick used to gain attention, how the desks survived the blow it delivered was a puzzle.
I was also fortunate enough to miss Mr Lewis and the gym shoe.
I remembered Mr Swan mainly due to the fact that we got close to electrocuting him and blowing the Physics Lab up.

I must admit to liking Mrs Coombes, despite her reputation! Everyone in our form remembers to this day the demonstration she gave of corrective discipline. Each end of the school was in cruciform layout and she was taking us for maths. She looked across the angle into the adjacent classroom and, without a word, rocketed out of our class into the unsupervised class. She appeared back in our room within seconds propelling two worried looking youths in her bow wave. She addressed the first unfortunate “show this class what you were doing” she ordered. He threw his geometry compass into the floor. She then launched her attack, very forcefully slapping his face about half a dozen times. When this was over she ordered him to show us again, which he did, this resulted in a further episode of hard slapping. This was repeated a couple of more times and the lad’s face was crimson and covered in hand shaped welts. He then had an idea and in response to the now familiar order, he said “no miss”. Her response was “Defy me would you!” and he had another vicious slapping. She then turned to the other miscreant and promised him the same in the next lesson and this would be repeated throughout the day.
Those were the days!
Ted

Do you remember mad Dougie French? One day I was walking along the ground floor science corridor past Ernie Palmer's biology lab heading towards the Middle School Hall with a pencil in my mouth. Dougie French was approaching from the opposite direction and he stopped me. "When I was a lad I was walking along with a gramaphone horn in my mouth when I tripped. The horn cut through the roof of my mouth and, had it gone a quarter of an inch further, it would have pierced my brain and I'd be even madder than I am now. You wouldn't want that would you? Now take that pencil out of your mouth."
They don't make them like that anymore!

My recollection from my time at Sheldon Heath 1958-1965 was that the Head of Lower School was Charlie Marshall with Mrs Coombs as his deputy. The head of Middle School was Mrs Southern and I can't remember who the deputy was although it may have been Mr Harvey Jones. The Head of Upper School was Mr Arnold with Miss Tulloch as his deputy and, of course the overall Headmaster was J E D Smith (known affectionately as Creeping Jesus but I cant remember why).

Hugh

At one time there were 8 houses: Fry, Keller, Nightingale, Slessor, Bray, Grenfell, Lister and Livingstone (4 women and 4 men) but they were condensed to 4 some time in the sixties.

Hugh

Hi Ray (Smith?) I was part of the first intake at the 'Comp'. Remember it with great fondness and many of the teachers mentioned. We played chess together in the school team. You were on board one and me on three to five (depending on my current results). I remember playing you in an inter house tournament (I was in Livingstone) and I am sure the houses were graded as we rarely won anything. The game was a draw but I never felt greater pride than when the results were read out at the morning assembly and my half point had saved us from a whitewash! I also played for the school rugby team for the first year it started. I think Mr James was its inspiration, but my part time job employer was not sympathetic to the missed Saturday mornings so I had to 'retire'. I have many memories of those times and it is good to see this seems to be worldwide!
Best regards... Phil P.S. Do I recall you thinking of training to become a teacher?

At one time there were 8 houses: Fry, Keller, Nightingale, Slessor, Bray, Grenfell, Lister and Livingstone (4 women and 4 men) but they were condensed to 4 some time in the sixties.

Hugh
Not sure if this was replied to but the eight houses of Sheldon Heath Comprehensive School were condensed to four in 1963/4 and called Bray, Kingley's, Lister and Slessor . I was in Nightingale and then Bray.

Last edited:
What is left of the old Sheldon Heath Comprehensive School is being demolished this summer. A new building for King Edward VI Academy Sheldon Heath (as it is now called) has already been built on what was once the old Lower School, which was demolished a couple of years ago.

Hi Ray... Delighted to get your message. Like you I have been married for 43 years now (to a Welsh girl). My surname is Allso (not many people forget that!) and we live in Lichfield Staffordshire. I played club chess for many years and was chairman of Lichfield Chess Club for over ten years. We played in the Birmingham and Wolverhampton leagues with some success. I played in many simultaneous displays against some of the worlds best players. Bent Larsen, Tony Miles, Michiel Tell and others (I lost to them all) but I beat David Anderton (British Olympic Chess captain) Due to a blunder on his part! I no longer play as it is very time consuming and other interests have now taken over. Primarily I love walking and in 2006 did John o Groats to Lands End (1,100 miles; 57 days) with my walking companion Bill. It was an old mans adventure and we now give talks and slide shows for the benefit of two hospices. Living within an hours drive of the Derbyshire Peak district affords us some wonderful walking. I will be 70 this year (you must be the same!) but am well and physically active. My mental state I will leave to others ! I have never been back to Sheldon Heath Comp but regard it with some affection. I have Victor Skipp's books on Sheldon and Yardley as I am still interested in local history. I could ramble on for hours but must not indulge myself. Modern technology has enabled people to make contact in a way we could never have imagined when you made your 'Ten Quid' trip. I am very happy for it. Have a great time in the Dordogne.... Let me know how you get on!! Warmest regards Phil Allso

I was born at Selly Oak hospital in November 1943, so must have been conceived around February when the outcome of the second world war was far from certain. I was number five of six children (my sister was born November 1944) which was not uncommon in those days. My father supported all eight of us on his wage as a tin printer. He was called up to the Warwickshire regiment but his firm secured government war work so had to return to that. We lived in a small semi-detached house in Bray's Road Sheldon. Along with us were two bombed out relatives and a lodger who we regarded as one of the family. How my mother managed is beyond my understanding. I lived there throughout my childhood until I was twenty one years old. Next door but one to us was a similar house belonging to Birmingham City Football Club. Before the days of mega wages players with families would be given accommodation. Peter Murphy, Dick Neil, Stan Lynn and Ray Barlow all lived there at some time and as a football besotted youth I was in awe of them. None of them owned cars in the time they lived there and if I went to St. Andrews early on a Saturday we were often on the same bus. (the 58 - 58c or 60). Later, when I worked for Shephards (a grocery shop just down the road) I got to deliver their weekly groceries. They were all very nice, and very helpful in obtaining hard to get tickets for cup matches. Our house had been finished in 1939 and belonged to a private landlord (council houses were far rarer in those days). A large brick built air raid shelter was built in the garden for use of all neighbours. The road layout for the estates that were built after the war was roughly in place, but at the back of us and from the G.P.O. sports ground (beyond Barrows Lane road island) down to the Radleys were open fields. Gill Merrick (Birmingham and England goalkeeper) lived in a small detached house a little up the road; next to the gully that led to the pond. The pond had been a boating pool with an island and was part of a wooded parkland of a large mansion pulled down years before. On this pond floated a static water tank from the mansion that made an excellent boat. My childhood was in many ways idilic with freedom to roam (with the proviso to be back for tea). We were poor by present day standards, but so were so many others. The austerity years after the war would be hard to explain to people today who have not had to experience that level of deprivation. I first went to Church Road Infants school, but suffered phneumonia and then a double break in my arm which kept me out of school in those important early years. My mother was very protective and the school board man (we called him 'the schools board's little hat.') was a common visitor enquiring about non attendance. When Lyndon Green school was built at the back of us in Whichwood Crescent I transferred to there and my education vastly improved. It should be remembered that after the war the situation in education and the health care services had been severely affected. It took many years to find a semblance of normality. For instance; if you had been an officer in the services this automatically qualified you as a teacher. Luckily my class teacher (who taught everything) was a Mr Jenkins. A Welshman who was quite old but fatherly towards us. We had singing lessons (he played piano and violin) and our choir appeared at the Bournville festival and Birmingham Town Hall. I never took my eleven plus (only one girl did in the whole school). We were shocked at the amount of paper she was given for her answers. Could anyone possibly do that amount of work! Mr Jenkins knew no algebra so the last lesson we had before transferring to the new comprehensive school (Sheldon Heath Comprehensive) was given by another teacher. It was all very basic. Thanks to those asking me to indulge myself.... I will add more later. Phil

Thanks - brummie nick - The link was very interesting and reflects all of my memories about the pond. The feeder spring ran as a small stream along our garden before they put an overflow system in. The pond was our favourite (and nearest) but there were many open places we could go to in the area. Dose anyone remember 'Baggies' off Barrows Lane (and Common Lane)? Now a park. Also King George V playing fields. The pond was a wildlife haven. Winters were colder then and it was a wonderland. There was a couple of bike tracks up there; one round the pond (very hairy in places) and a flatter one in the adjoining field. The water was very clear and all sorts of creatures could be found. The far side had become somewhat overgrown with yellow irisis and reeds but could be navigated in the tank with care. Lastly, the woods were in fact an arboretum with many specimen trees. I particularly remember a superb walnut tree (quickly moved when they cleared the site for the special school). I have seen a photograph somewhere of the tank being buried deep in the foundations when they dug out the pool.

Back