• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheldon George

Stephenbullock73

proper brummie kid
Hi Everyone,
I lived in Vauxhall,my Dad George Bullock Lived before he was married in 1924 in Cole hall lane Glebe farm,and My Granddad
Also George was born in 1877 lived in Mackadown Sheldon till around 1915 with Gran Sarah Jane Simons They were Both
Buried in st Giles Church together with Great Great Granddad and Amelia Perren G G Grandad was born in Bishampton Worcester
any information would be welcome

Last edited:
Hello & Welcome Stephen :) I think you mean Cole Hall Lane, Glebe Farm,
by Glebe Farm Rd,,
but your Question is more to finding out info on your G,father surname Bullock lived in Mackadown lane, Sheldon/kitts Green,

Oky Dokey ,, best if you post a bit more about your grandad then folks on here will assist,
His first name,,,,, age ,approx will do, what year(s) living in Mackadown lane,
Your grandmothers name would help then their marriage can be tracked for you,
Any snippetts of info you have to put in will be rewarded in responses in double quick time ( Hopefully :rolleyes:
Welcome & good luck JohnY

Hello and welcome Stephen. I have put some phots of Mackadown Lane on the Tile Cross Marston Green thread. If you put Tile Cross in the Search box you will find a lot on that area.

Ann

Hi Steve,

I'm pleased you liked the photos. There a lot of early photographs in her book. But the only other one that refers to Mackadown Lane is from 1920, and I have just posted it on the Tile Cross thread. I'll have a look at my local library to see if they have any others.

Ann

Do you have this info.
Dwelling: Sheldon Village
Census Place: Sheldon, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341729 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3053 Folio 7 Page 6
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Thomas Henry BULLOCK M 26 M Bishampton, Worcester, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Ag Lab
Amelia BULLOCK M 23 F Aston Bir'ham, Warwick, England
Rel: Wife
Thos.Henry BULLOCK 6 M Aston Bir'ham, Warwick, England
Rel: Son
Occ: Scholar
George BULLOCK 3 M Sheldon, Warwick, England
Harry BULLOCK 11 m M Sheldon, Warwick, England
George ABBOT U 20 M Littleworth, Warwick, England
Rel: Boarder
Dwelling: Garetts Green Shel
Census Place: Sheldon, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341729 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3053 Folio 10 Page 12
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Thomas SIMONS M 29 M Hampton, Oxford, England
Rel: Head
Annie SIMONS M 25 F Arley, Warwick, England
Rel: Wife
Thos.Wm. SIMONS 5 M Hampton, Oxford, England
Mary Annie SIMONS 3 F Arley, Warwick, England
Rel: Daur
Sarah Jane SIMONS 7 m F Garetts Green Sheldon, Warwick, England
Rel: Daur

In 1891 the Bullock family are in Cockshut hill and the simons family are the next census entry.

In 1901 Sarah J simons is living as a cook to Miles Mason and his wife Caroline at The chestnuts ,Garrets Green

George and Sarah married in Dec quarter 1901.

Ann your a star ,

I live nr Southend, Essex,and dont have access to Heartlands imfo,
could you tell me where I could obtain steet maps of very early 20century, my Dad was born in Cockshutt Hill in 1901 But as thing have changed so much its hard to imagin what it is like. Thanks again,
Steve

Heres a list of the Godfrey maps of Birmingham that are available at present.

Hi Steve,

You are not going to believe this. This is a photograph of myself in the garden of Cockshutt Hill Cottage. I grew up opposite the cottage and it was a great place to play. The other is a drawing of the cottage about 1899.
I do have some old maps of Sheldon and Tile Cross that I can scan tomorrow. And also some old photos of the original Chestnuts.

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
ALBERTA, Hello,
How did you do this ,its taken me months and months Years really, to just get the bear bones of what you have given me, I'm going to push my luck now can you tell me the Parents of Thomas henry Bullock born in Bishampton, I've tried searching Births and christenings but no luck.
Steve

Steve,

As far as I am aware Cockshutt Hill Cottage was the only building in Cockshutt Hill in 1901. So the photo and drawing shows where your dad was born.

Ann

Ann ,
What A truly Beautiful woman you are and dare I ask at what period of time the photo of was taken, I have received a history of my Grand Farther from ALBERTA which states in the 1891 census that the Bullock family lived in Cockshut hill so is the this cottage were they lived if so you have given me a picture of the House?
Steve

Steve,

I have attached a copy of the Bullocks living in Cockshutt Hill in 1901, and as you can see they are the only family living on the hill. It is my belief that the cottage (in my photo and the drawing) was the only building on Cockshutt Hill, untill the school was built. The photo of myself in the garden would be about 1958. And the drawing was 1899. I used to sometimes sleep in the cottage, in the bedroom far right in the drawing. Right up to the time it was demolished in the '60s, there was no flushing toilet.
I would think this has to be where your dad was born. I wonder if he told you about the place.

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
Ann b
I have just been looking at the census paper you posted, fascinating, can you remember if there was a farmhouse/cottage on Garretts Green Lane, somewhere on the left between the Meadway and Sheldon Heath Road,

Ann,

Check out Phil's post on the 'Where is This 115' thread, post 45, and see if that is the one you are thinking of. In my book it is described as the Wells farm at Garrett's Green. In my Sheldon book there is another photo, which I'll scan tomorrow, described as Garrett's Green farm.

Ann

AnnB, iv,e just had a look at the photo and it looks larger than i remember maybe part of it had been demolished I remember it in the 50s. also some one said it was where the chestnut tree pub is, so where was the large house called the Chestnuts.

Hi Ann,
I was the youngest in the family,Dad use to take my sister Joan on there Bicycles,to
visit My Great Grand parents,but by the time I came of age he only took me to Cole hall
where my Granddad then lived,Joan died of cancer quite early Dad use to talk about Mackadown where he also lived It like a lot of things you want to know to late Stev

Steve,

I think we all wish we had asked more or listened more. I'm fairly certain that I played and sometimes slept in the cottage where your dad was born. How strange! And I have so many happy memories of that place.
I've started a Sheldon thread and put on a map of Sheldon in 1938 showing Cockshutt Hill after the school was built.
I'll see what else I can find.

All the best Ann

Steve,

If you go to the top of the page and click on Home, and scroll to Questions and Answers and then click on Forum Turorials, it will tell you there. When you type your message in the box, if you look below the box, it says 'Manage Attachments'. That is what you have to click on to upload a photo. But read the tutorial and that should explain it.
Hope this helps.

Ann

Steve,

Well done! They uploaded.

If the first one is the cottage, they would have to be outside the door that led to the kitchen. It was fifty years earlier than when I was there, and so it was different. There were no plants growing up the walls and the windows look different. But, if you look at the drawing, to the left of the main house, behind the tree, was a single storey building. And that was where the kitchen was, that then led to the main part of the cottage. And the garden had loads of fruit trees. I wonder, if the tree behind them is the one I remember being closest to the house. I'm going to have to print the photo and send it to my brother.

Ann

wow. where are the pics/drawing please Ann? I've pretty much always lived in Sheldon and with the removal of local history in our syllabus; im learning what I can locally that may be of interest to my children and others

Lucy

Ann is no longer a member of the forum, though it is possible she might happen to view it. However I have the following photos I have saved, two of which at least I think may be the ones referred to

Ann2520Old2520Farmhouse2520Cockshutt2520Hill2520Farmhouse2520Sheldon.jpg
Ann2520Cockshutt2520Hill.jpg

cockshuthillcott.jpg

Back