• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheldon Family

RobertS

master brummie
Have been piecing together a Sheldon family tree for years. Its a Birmingham family we have traced back to the 1790's. Fairly comprehensive but has gaps where 'tracing forward' has been difficult. Is there anyone out there also working on Sheldons? Would love to work with them!

Thanks Luckybrum

Thanks for the contact, we have worked with Neil on numerous occasions.

The Sheldons we are looking for go back to Benjamin a master file maker and gunsmith and finisher who was born around 1791 and married Elizabeth (H)Eaton 12 June 1814 at Aston Peter Paul (He was already a filmaker on his own account). He first pops up in the trade directories in Russell Street and for most of his working life appears to have worked out of Legge St (Although living elsewhere, Cross Street and Sheep St.) He died December 23 1846 aged about 55. He almost certainly born in Warwickshire but finding his birth and parents has eluded us for over 10 years. We have a handful of probables but but but....

We have a fairly comprehensive tree and if you have a Sheldon you can't place or suspect is incomplete give us a try and perhaps we can fill in a few blanks or may have certs you need.

regards

I to am working on the 'Sheldons' and have also been in contact with Neale. If you think there is anything think we could do to help each other ie, sharing BMD certs, photos, dates ect then please feel free to contact me. (David Thomas was my great, great grandad. This should help you place me in the tree!)

Robert, I think that I've told you before that I have Sheldons? My g grandparents were Joseph Sheldon, 1841, and his wife Jane, 1845. That's all I know about them. My grandparents were John Sheldon, 1882-1918 and his wife Florence Helen Butler, 1887. My mom was Lily Sheldon, 1910-1977.

Graham.

How I wish, but no luck. Hope Cadeau and Forgemans Grandaughter can find a link between family's but I can't tie in.

Graham.

My Lily Sheldon was born 1886 Splash St Aston to Harriet King and Walter James Sheldon (Although he bigamously married her sister Mary!) This Lily married Walter William Nickless 1925 West Brom. The hope would be that Joseph is a son of Benjamin, below, I dont have on my chart, but it is unlikley. More likley is a link as a sibling of Benjamin or a branch before this.

Forgemans Grandaughter.

Again I don't have a David Thomas on my tree. Is that a David Thomas Sheldon or David Thomas who married a Sheldon, around what date?

The Benjamin below had James, Benjamin, Henry, Rebecca,Harriet, Elizabeth and William. Thanks for the offer of sharing material. I'm willing to do the same. There are very few people tracing Sheldon lines in Birmingham and virtually none who have managed to get back into the 1700's (although there are Sheldons in Birmingham several hundred years before this).

I have also been trying to find more on the Sheldon family.
My first name comes from a group of Sheldons and was passed down as a middle name before my parents decided on it for myself. My family tree isn’t very comprehensive and I’d love to know more if anybody has any information!
IMG_7362_Original.jpeg
From what I can work out, Arthur Sheldon was born in 1864.

Attachments

• IMG_7402_Original.png
    IMG_7402_Original.png
    402.4 KB · Views: 5
I have also been trying to find more on the Sheldon family.
My first name comes from a group of Sheldons and was passed down as a middle name before my parents decided on it for myself. My family tree isn’t very comprehensive and I’d love to know more if anybody has any information!

From what I can work out, Arthur Sheldon was born in 1864.

You have Arthur Sheldon marrying a Mary Harpin in the tree and then Annie Harpin in the attachment. Appears to be Annie Harpin.

Arthur Sheldon appears to have been born in 1863 in Bilston, the son of a Stephen Sheldon and a Rebecca Benton.

Hello MWS'
I don't have your Arthur but I do have a James Sheldon (b1828) a Chaser, who marries an Emma Benton (b 10 Oct 1836) in Birmingham. She was born to William Benton (b 1814)and Ann Priest (b1816). William was a lamp maker. Both say they were born in Birmingham.

I only mention this as its a Sheldon marrying a Benton and may indicate the a link between the two families. Just a thought.

Hello Robert

Not my Sheldons, I was trying to help. However, there doesn't seem to be a connection, at least not around that time.

The Sheldons I mentioned appear to come from Sedgeley for at least a couple of generations before the mentioned Arthur and yours from Bham for a couple of generations before James maybe, listed as Shelton then Sheldon?

So a link, which is possible, would be before that.

Back