• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheldon Bombing

It just goes to show how some words in common parlance can go so quickly out of fashion / use. The term Jerry Built was common when I was a kid but now realise I have not heard it for quite a while. It was often applied to the new estates built quickly after the two World Wars. New and cheaper building techniques were used and I wonder if the term was warrented on these new buildings.Most of these estates are still standing. Buy a new house today you will only get a 25 year building guarantee.
I thought the term jerry built was used to describe many of the Georgian Facades in places such as Bath, Cheltenham and Brighton. They were thrown up quickly to supply the fashion needs of the day but perhaps the jerry built term was applied later.

Len, Very many thanks. I will follow it up. Much appreciated.

On the topic of Jerry-Built, I always ascociated it with the Pre-Fabs that were built up Lode Lane, on the way to Solihull and opposite the Pub (Olton Hall I think).
Re POW's, I remember them clearing out the stream that ran along the back of Thurston Avenue.
My Grandmother provided them with cups of tea. But I can't recall if they were German or Italian.

OldBrummie.

Len. I've just been onto the link (and the web site itself). A great deal of very interesting information and another link I have followed up seeking further data.

Many, many thanks again.

OldBrummie.

Defence Medal £23.50

Click for Larger View

The 1939-45 Defence Medal was a campaign medal of the British Commonwealth, awarded for service in WW2. It was instituted to recognise both military and some types of civilian service.

This type of service in the UK includes those civilian personnel who worked as members of:
Home Guard, Royal Observer Corps, Fire Brigades, including the National Fire Service (NFS), Civil Defence, Messenger Service, Police and Coast Guard
The qualifying time required depending on the area served is: UK - 1080 days, Overseas non-operational - 360 days, Overseas non-operational in an area deemed to be closely threatened or subject to air attack -180 days, Did your Dad have this medal?. if not you may be able to get it as next of kin. Len.

Last edited:
Hi Len. Re the medal, I have absolutely no idea. It is possible as I'm sure he served for the duration. I really have no idea where or how I could check.
However imediately after the war he became very closely involved with the National Savings Movement and was honoured with an invitation to Buckingham Palace to attend (which he did) a Royal Garden Party. He didn't actually meet The King and Queen as there where hundreds if not thousands attending.

OldBrummie.

OldBrummie, The Sheldon Cinema on its opening night. Type in search "Sheldon" lots of pics and info. Len.

Last edited:
Len, thanks for the web address and also for "The Sheldon". I have had a quick look at the "Sheldon" Thread but have to race out to see the doc but I will go back to it and will also follow up on the 'veterans' link.

OldBrummie.

Is there any information of the bombs that fell on Parkdale Road.This was a new road having been built in 1938/9. Apparently a German Bomber was being chased off Elmdon Airpaort and it dropped it's bomb load to gain speed as it flew off. The bombs dropped in Parkdale Road damaging several houses and killing a policeman. There was also a large bomb crater behind the houses alongside the brook backing onto King George V playing fields. This was an allotment and my father used to tell me that his vegetables were blown up here. This was a popular place for us to play hide and seek and coboys and indians. Many houses which had their roofs repaired were done in a different colour slate which is still clearly visible today. On a different tack,most of the houses on the other side of the playing fields were built by German POW's. These houses are in roads running off Church Road but cannot remember the names (ending with "dale" I think)
Regards Ian.
Hi Ian, I watched Silvermere Rd. School burn from my bedroom window in Normanton Avenue, I was about five and it was my school. Almost all of the upper floor and roof was destroyed by fire caused by inscendary bombs and after temporary repairs the school continued to operate with just the ground floor and a couple of rooms upstairs. I know for sure that number 77 Parkdale Road received a landmine which blew up later and destroyed the house, the occupants were the Pearson family and they all escaped unhurt. I know this to be true because I am still in touch with Catherine Pearson, we class mates for fifteen years. I think that the school, parkdale Road and Ivydale Road damage was all done in the same raid as you say. I don't ever remember seeing POW's in Sheldon and as for the flat roofed houses in Common Lane, they were pre-war, I think they were called Jerry build simply because they had flat roofs and that was unusual in those days.
I have a Silvermere Road School facebook page if you would like to see some pictures and perhaps you would like to contribute!
Best wishes, Brian Mann

Hi Brian,

My uncle - Arthur Stevens - was caretaker of Silvermere Road School at the time. My Aunt Elsie ,his wife, was my mothers sister. We were in a public shelter on Coventry Road at Barrows Lane during the raid when someone came in and said there was a big fire and it looked as though it was the school. My mother immediately became frantic but fortunately we ascertained after the raid that they and their daughter were OK.

Old Boy

Hi Brian,

My uncle - Arthur Stevens - was caretaker of Silvermere Road School at the time. My Aunt Elsie ,his wife, was my mothers sister. We were in a public shelter on Coventry Road at Barrows Lane during the raid when someone came in and said there was a big fire and it looked as though it was the school. My mother immediately became frantic but fortunately we ascertained after the raid that they and their daughter were OK.

Old Boy

I do seem to recall a Mr Stevens being the caretaker when I was at Silvermere Road school from 1955. Such a shame that Silvermere School is now demolished. Regards Ian Leggett.

Hello Brian, An interesting reply as I had not fully realised the school had been damaged in the bombing. From what my father told me as an ARP and First Aid man was that the plane was being chased and it off loaded the bombs anywhere to gain speed. I was not referring to the flat roof houses but to the bungalows that back onto King George V Playing Fields. All the roads ended in "dale". I have a Silver Echoes school magazine here which I was involved in printing during my later years of 1957/8. I am not on Facebook but if there is another way to see pictures that would be great. friend sent me photos of the school as it was being demolished about a year ago. Regards Ian.

Many thanks for pictures. Brings back some memories.I met my girlfriend there and we will have been married for 49 years this year. Regards Ian.

Silvermere Road was not surfaced then, just a footpath and kerbstones, the road was just stone hardcore. The houses on Berryfield Road only reached to Silvermere, otherwise just the rough road, Mapledene was just a rough road. All of the Cranes Park Estate was completed before the beginning of the war. Cranes Park Road was surfaced right to the end by the shops,where it joins Whitecroft Road which was also surfaced but not Mapledene.
The other side of the road from the school were fields for the whole length of Silvermere Road, where they grew corn.
Hope this helps!

I remember Miss Onions (she looked so old and wrinkled when I was there (1955-8)and the Headmaster was Mr Barlow. Do you recall Mr Gregory as a teacher for the later classes (4th year). I had a Mr Knight who was a superb teacher. There was a Mr Bruce? who was a PE teacher but sadistic chasing us around the grass area by the gym and if he was faster then a plimsole across the backside was the result. And woe betide anyone who forgot their gym shorts. Penalty? Gym in the nude.
Great pictures. The Arden Oak terminus! My paper round was along Arden Oak and Olorenshaw roads. The paper shop was just round the corner on Coventry Road. That was 1956/7. In later years, 1964/5 I was a manager at Wrensons grocers at the Arden Oak branch. I remember street party like the one shown, in Parkdale Road as I was dressed in a uniform to resemble a soldier in the Lifeguards (silver being armour) with a sword and black wellington boots. Ivydale Avenue was where we used our trolleys (go carts) which we had made from old prams and wood. We would go to the top of the road next to Sheldon Public House and get our speed up, crossing Cranes Park Road (with a look out in case a car came) and down Ivydale and turn at the bottom.Dangerous manouvre but fun.
Love to see any more photos. I did not have a camera so very little is on record although i do have a photo of Parkdale Road VE Day.
Looking at the stage in Silvermere Road school, that is where I recorded and played back the morning service in assembly which we had taped from BBC Third programme. Regards Ian.

Back