• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheesbys, and shops in Tile Cross Road

clarke

Brummie babby
Does anyone remember the general store, post office in Tile Cross Road in the 1950's there were two cottages opposite and a farm nearby. I remember Mrs Sheesby I suppose it was her shop, although I never saw her behind the counter, she was quite old when I was small and she used to wear a fur coat she looked a little bit like the grandmother in the Giles cartoons (not the thin one). There were another row of shops in Tile Cross Road. The shops in that row were Bedford's fixh and chip shop, Perry's a clothes and wool shop, they also sold paraffin for convector heaters, it seems funny now how odd that combination was, Lesley's sweet shop, a butchers shop (I can't remember the name) Wrensons food shop, a green grocers (name I have forgotten) and Carmichael's another food shop. At the side of the chip shop was a track that led to Chelmsley woods and the rive Cole. There were a row of cottages next to the track which all got demolished when they started to build in the early 1960's.

Hello clarke i remember the line of shops you,re talking about.
they are pretty much still there i used to help the baker and he lived in Shirestone Rd opposite the shops,
the chippie was called blue star as i remember it,and as you say there was a path that led down to chelmsley
can,t remember the cottages you mention.
The white heart is still up the rd on the lights,i did,nt live in the area but knocked about in the woods at chembo..
happy days regards dereklcg

hi clarke i remember leslies and perries ect but donot remember the shop you mention
my dad had the fish and chip shop you mention and yes indeed our name was bedford

Does anyone remember the general store, post office in Tile Cross Road in the 1950's there were two cottages opposite and a farm nearby. I remember Mrs Sheesby I suppose it was her shop, although I never saw her behind the counter, she was quite old when I was small and she used to wear a fur coat she looked a little bit like the grandmother in the Giles cartoons (not the thin one). There were another row of shops in Tile Cross Road. The shops in that row were Bedford's fixh and chip shop, Perry's a clothes and wool shop, they also sold paraffin for convector heaters, it seems funny now how odd that combination was, Lesley's sweet shop, a butchers shop (I can't remember the name) Wrensons food shop, a green grocers (name I have forgotten) and Carmichael's another food shop. At the side of the chip shop was a track that led to Chelmsley woods and the rive Cole. There were a row of cottages next to the track which all got demolished when they started to build in the early 1960's.​
Hi Clarke,
I remember the general store and post office opposite the cottages, Fishers lived there, around about 1959, I knew Mrs Sheesby she lived in quite a large de-thached house in Cooks Lane, in those days I worked at Wrensons the one you mention, the butchers shop was Gosbells, the butchers name was Frank, he had two lovely daughers.
It was a nice block of shops, and nice people in Tile Cross, I lived in Cooks Lane until 1968.

Best wishes.

Derek Hudson

Hi Clarke,
I remember the general store and post office opposite the cottages, Fishers lived there, around about 1959, I knew Mrs Sheesby she lived in quite a large de-thached house in Cooks Lane, in those days I worked at Wrensons the one you mention, the butchers shop was Gosbells, the butchers name was Frank, he had two lovely daughers.
It was a nice block of shops, and nice people in Tile Cross, I lived in Cooks Lane until 1968.

Best wishes.

Derek Hudson

I lived in Shirestone Road From 1952 until 1962. Do you remeber Mr Carey I think that was his name in the sweet shop Lesleys and The Bishops in the other cottage opposite Sheesbys or any one else from that time?

Regards

Clarke

We lived at 90 Shirestone Road--the end house just over the road from the Tile Cross Road Shops. The greengrocer was a Mr. Hooper and his son's name, Clive. We were very excited when Mr. Carey said he was having a sale--which he did--but the sweets were stale and my mother made me take them back! Mr. Carey had a daughter who went to a private school (her name was Lesley). I got her green bike when the Careys sold it--lucky me. Thanks for reminding me about the paraffin; I'd completely forgotten that but remember now taking the can to be filled up. It always seemed to me that the people who owned the shops looked down on the likes of us in the council houses---cheek! I loved going down to Chelmsley Woods and collecting the bluebells. Is there any of the Woods left?

Maureen may I ask did you have a sister Jennifer ?
My 2 sisters and I lived at 58 & Jennifer was in my class at Shirestone Road Junior & Infants.I started there in Easter 1961 until leaving for Byng Kenrick in 1967
I seem to remember she had ?1 possibly 2 older sisters.One of her sisters had a boyfriend who had a groovy "Bubble Car" Hope I'm not completely on the wrong track? Would be fun if you see this & can reply.
Kind regards,Maggie Robinson

Hi Maggie: Yes, Jenny is my youngest sister and it was my boyfriend (later husband) who had the bubble car! I'd like to send you a private message but can't see a way to do it from this page. I'll try to do it from your user name. Nice to hear from you!

Sorry I don't know the area at all, but are these the shops under discussion?

Phil

Attachments

• Tile Cross Tile Cross Rd 1964.jpg
    Tile Cross Tile Cross Rd 1964.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 94
Hello, the wife has asked me to post something on her behalf as she remembers both the shops in Tile Cross Road and the East Meadway. She used to live in Briddsland Road, moved there from Tower Street in 1951, until we got married in1965. She well remembers the track between the Cottages as this is were she and her friends would go " scrumping" in the back gardens of the Cottages. We spent most Sundays walking in Bluebell woods when we were "courting" after having a pint or two in either The White Hart, The Mackadown or The Malt Shovel. She thinks that David (?) Bishop was in her class at Shirestone J & I.

Yes, weren't we lucky to have access to that bluebell wood--it's a freedom that not many children have now. We'd come home with armsful of bluebells but weren't allowed to put them in the house because they, like lilacs, were considered unlucky. Does your wife remember the Bakers (I think the son was called Geoffery) who lived in Briddsland Road?; One of my best friends in Shirestone school was Barbara Bishop. She and her family lived in the prefabs in the road opposite the front of the school. Her older brother's name was Michael, I believe, and her mother was from Edinburgh; I've lost touch with her many years ago. Nice to hear from you!

Maureen, nice to hear from you. sorry, the wife cannot recall the Bakers or Barbara Bishop. She started Shirestone on the day that the School opened to pupils and left in 1955 to go on to Lea Village Girls School. Because there were so many children starting at the same time and there was insufficient classrooms she was in the same class as her older brother Derek. Mr Penny was the Headmaster. Getting off thread now so will close.
jimbo

hello

yes David one of Mrs Bishop's sons was called David. My brother used to play with Robert Hilliard he lived in Bridsland Road. I remember there was a nice pond in the front garden of a house on the corner of Bridsland Road and Keithley Avenue I used to pass it on my way to school.

Hi there clarke, the wife remembers the fish pond but said she is not too good with names a cannot recall Robert. She lived at 54 Briddsland next door to George and Elsie (52) and Harry and Vera (56) George and Elsie had a daughter Jenny, and Harry and Vera had two daughters Christine and Gillian. Her best friend was Sylvia (Sylvie) Dunn who lived at ?70 or 72?.
jimbo

Last edited:
We lived in the cottages opposite the post office and I went to school with Jenny Cooper

Last edited:
Hi Clarke,

Best wishes.

Derek Hudson
Hello there, my wife Josie used to go to Shirestone school and remembers David Bishop, some of her friends used to go to their cottage and even went scrumping sometimes. We used to go in Sheasbys a lot and the fish and chip shop further down Tile Cross rd, she lived in Briddsland Road, has a brother Derek Phillips, they used to go to Chelmsley wood when it was a proper woods, sometimes known as the bluebell woods.Happy days!!

Just been reading through this thread, lots of familiar road names even though I never lived nearby, but 1953-58 this was where my Saturday baker's boy job was centred. So if any of you lot had Scribbans baker in those days we probably met. Those flats in Shirestone Rd. how I was glad to find the lifts working, no fun lumping basket loads of bread up six storeys! Lady opposite The White Hart always had a most welcome cup of tea ready. Also I did get married at the church in East Meadway in 1968.

Photos taken at Shirestone School probably 1958. The first one is the Morris dancers, then a photo of ,from top left, Wendy Atkinson, myself Barbara Tidball, Tina Pearson, Janet Poplar, Julie Lawrence and pat Exton. The last photo is Mr Penny, the headmaster who was determined that we should all pass the 11+ exam!

Attachments

• img207.jpg
    img207.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 56
  • img208.jpg
    img208.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 57
  • img209.jpg
    img209.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 58
Photos taken at Shirestone School probably 1958. The first one is the Morris dancers, then a photo of ,from top left, Wendy Atkinson, myself Barbara Tidball, Tina Pearson, Janet Poplar, Julie Lawrence and pat Exton. The last photo is Mr Penny, the headmaster who was determined that we should all pass the 11+ exam!
For at least a term, Isat next to Barbara at school. Our teacher was Mrs Walker,formerley Miss Pullen. Colin Stark

Many happy memories. Played for Shirestone at football.Mr Jones was in charge. A small group of us were taken swimming at Woodcock Street .We were issued with bus tokens to cover fares !!
For at least 1 term,I sat next to Barbara Tidball at school (she won,t remember) Our teacher was Mrs Walker (Miss Pullen as was).
I was a paperboy at newsagents in East Meadway and my round include Gerardsfield,Bridsland,Chaynes Grove and the 6 storey flats in Shirestone Road. Happy Days Colin Stark

Pat Exton is my mom :) Now Pat Gillon :)

Sorry I missed this post. I’m Jenny’s sister.
Many happy memories. Played for Shirestone at football.Mr Jones was in charge. A small group of us were taken swimming at Woodcock Street .We were issued with bus tokens to cover fares !!
For at least 1 term,I sat next to Barbara Tidball at school (she won,t remember) Our teacher was Mrs Walker (Miss Pullen as was).
I was a paperboy at newsagents in East Meadway and my round include Gerardsfield,Bridsland,Chaynes Grove and the 6 storey flats in Shirestone Road. Happy Days Colin Stark
I'm one of those on the Morris Dancers photo (not owning up to which one!), Mr Penny's school motao was "Exert to Excel". I remember Colin S. and Barbra T.

Hello clarke i remember the line of shops you,re talking about.
they are pretty much still there i used to help the baker and he lived in Shirestone Rd opposite the shops,
the chippie was called blue star as i remember it,and as you say there was a path that led down to chelmsley
can,t remember the cottages you mention.
The white heart is still up the rd on the lights,i did,nt live in the area but knocked about in the woods at chembo..
happy days regards dereklcg
A family of the name Bedford had the fish shop,they were a large family.

i Remember all these names,I was in same class,most went on to Byng Kendrick,l went on to LeavVillage

Back