• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheepcote Street

janeld

master brummie
Having recieved my Great grandpops war records, his father lived at
Goose opening, sheepcote st. I have found sheepcote st,
But can anybody shed any light on the goose's opening!!!!

Having recieved my Great grandpops war records, his father lived at
Goose opening, sheepcote st. I have found sheepcote st,
But can anybody shed any light on the goose's opening!!!!

This may be stretching a point (pun not intended) but could it be something to do with the vets please see the attachment

Or could it be something to do with The Midland & Scientific Carpet Shaking & Bed Cleaning Co.

Bed Cleaning, Mattress Cleaning, Mattress re-stuffing, Goose Feathers!

Just a thought

Phil

From at least 1873 to at least 1896 (not 1863 or 1904) the Albion public house (in red on the map) was run by Albert Goose. I think it reasonable to suggest that the alleyway down the side (green ) was locally known as goose opening and that possibly the small blue places were small living spaces in goose opening.
mike

map_around_albion_pub.gif

Thankyou everone for your input
he date he lived there was 1899, so I think the Pub Landlord idea fits. Sounds like a local Joke dosnt it, :D
Thanks again. Jane

Great piece of work. If you look north on Sheepcote you can see the Horse Shoe shaped stables, on corporation wharf, for towpath horses presumably. Check Google E. they are still there.

Not completely relevent to the original enquiry, but checked censii for Goose at Albion.Apparently his name , according to the censii, wasn't Albert but William. Heaven only knows why the difference. There were dwellings behind pub, these vary withn year, but are listed as "behind Albion". In 1891 there were 10 dwellings listed, 2 of them containing no people at census. The remaining 8 contained 42 listed people.

Just seen this photo of the remains of the albion in 1990s. The albion and the next door are supported by scaffolding. I think the albion is the one immediately above the blue line. the caption says that the reason it is supported is because it is listed. Not listed on english heritage web site, but edge of scaffolding is shown on picture (1999) of listed building next door. Does anyone know whether The albion is still standing
Mike

late_1990s_site_of_albion_sheepcote_st_A.jpg

The Albion pub was nicknamed (Gooses) does anybody know the reason why it was so called:)Mossy

Pic of Albion before demolition.Was G2 listed but that doesn't seem to mean anything anymore where money is involved.

Thanks Bob. that's much better than a building covered ina pile of scaffolding.
Mike

It's amazing what pops up when you aren't looking for it, indeed never expect to find it. The picture below is described as a house behind The
Albion in Sheepcote st. It is likely therefore, though not absolutely certain,that the alleyway by the side of the house is "Goose opening". Certainly the period is about correct, it is not a later addition.
mike

House_back_of_The__Albion.jpg

Thanks guys for all the input and the fab pictures. My mother and her sister are going to be blown away with all this info because they never knew their grandfather. He was killed in ww1 when their mother was a little girl. I am keeping it all hush hush so I can suprise them with it all at once.
Thanks again. Jane.

Front Cover of the book by Helen Butcher about her Moms life & hers on the parish relief fund known to the poverty stricken people of Brum as the "treacle stick". Len.

Thanks Lencops, rather suprisingly my husband has that book but i hadnt noticed the Sheepcote conection.
I was in town a couple of weeks ago going to sea life centre and was really suprized to find myself in sheepcote st, so I had a wonder about. What Alfred would make of it now heaven only knows.nice to see some old biuldings dotted about though.

looking down sheepcote st from broad st...royal orthopaedic hosp on the left...

A couple of photos from the Shoothill site. Viv.

Barclays' Bank on the corner of Broad Street and Sheepcote Street. The Bank building is still there, although no longer a bank.

image.jpeg

And #s 3 and 4 Sheepcote Street.

image.jpeg

We used to pass through Sheepcote Street regularly going from Watson's Villa Street workshop to the showroom in Broad Street (via the back entrance in Tennant Street.)
There was always a big American car parked outside a pub in Sheepcote Street and the story was that the guy had won the Littlewoods pools £75,000 jackpot, gone into Lincoln Street Motors and paid cash for the car then left it standing outside the pub for months while he treated all the customers to free drinks.
The story continues that he had spent all his winnings in the pub and then run up a big slate and in the end had to give the landlord the car to pay off his bill.

Like that Eric, reminds me of a similar tale here in Oz.
I arrived in Sydney in 1961 and one night in a pub I was told I had to come and meet a bloke who had recently won The Opera House Lottery and rub him for luck.
He was a nice quite "Battler" and when I asked him what he was going to do with the 80,000 pounds (a considerable sum in those days) he said he was going to carry on with his job as porter, doorman at the same apartment building as he had for some while but that now he owned it.
Cheers Tim

We used to pass through Sheepcote Street regularly going from Watson's Villa Street workshop to the showroom in Broad Street (via the back entrance in Tennant Street.)
There was always a big American car parked outside a pub in Sheepcote Street and the story was that the guy had won the Littlewoods pools £75,000 jackpot, gone into Lincoln Street Motors and paid cash for the car then left it standing outside the pub for months while he treated all the customers to free drinks.
The story continues that he had spent all his winnings in the pub and then run up a big slate and in the end had to give the landlord the car to pay off his bill.

I used to live in the pub.. (The Albion) in the 1950's. If its the big American car I recall, it was a vile pink colour with lots of chrome. It belonged to a man called Spud Baker. He did win the pools as I've been told and although he certainly did spend a lot of time in the pub, he didn't leave the car parked outside for months!
He was a nice man who often took me and my brother out for rides in the car out to exotic places in the countryside. We usually went with his family. Unfortunately, his children suffered terrible car sickness which took the edge off the journey!

I used to live in the pub.. (The Albion) in the 1950's. If its the big American car I recall, it was a vile pink colour with lots of chrome. It belonged to a man called Spud Baker. He did win the pools as I've been told and although he certainly did spend a lot of time in the pub, he didn't leave the car parked outside for months!
He was a nice man who often took me and my brother out for rides in the car out to exotic places in the countryside. We usually went with his family. Unfortunately, his children suffered terrible car sickness which took the edge off the journey!

The story of Spud giving the landlord the car is, sadly, not true. Dad would have been delighted if that were the case!

1545244143010.pngjust been lookin, fwoo i can stop sweating now,it was sheep st. not sheepcote st.

Last edited:
sheepcote street. haaaaaaaaaaa the school clinic, "needles. sunlight treatment". not nice

mw0njm , while at junior school I had to go for what was called sunray treatment that was in a clinic in Gosta Green . This was in the mid to late 50's I found it OK although you had to wear goggles,in the four visits I made there only one complaint , there was a strange smell it could have been the sunlamp or maybe the rubber goggles you had to wear

Back