• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheepcote Lane question

Ann Steiner

master brummie
I think I know the answer to this, but just want to check to make sure. Sheepcote Lane and Sheepcote Street are one in the same, correct?

Ann

No Ann. they aren't the same. On the 1905 map below, the lane is in blue, the street in red
Mike

sheepcotelaneandstreet.jpg

Thanks, Mike. I had found Sheepcote Street on my map, since it's a fairly long one, but didn't notice "Lane" up above it. I have two different ancestors who lived on the "Street" version, and was looking up photos. I had mistakenly assumed that Street and Lane were being used interchangeably. Thank you for correcting me!

Ann

I believe that Sheepcote Street was originally part of Sheepcote Lane but when the New Street to Wolverhampton railway line was built it cut the Lane in two and the Broad Street end was renamed.

Sheepcote street was originally Crown St (in 1839). At that time Sheepcote Lane was Sheepcote lane and ran approximately where St Vincent St was to just past the junction with Crown St. In 1851 Sheepcote lane was still there, the Railway had been built, and Sheepcote st was as it is now. Cannot speak for the period between these two dates though
Mike

hi tonefrombrum
yes you are correct about the railay cut it was still there in the early 1900,s and it was running down he old vincent street side
and it was a rail way bonding ware houses and running along side of the cut it was sill classed as sheepcote lane til the early 1900s when it was changed the name
and later the one end became a coal wharf for the barges and the other half bcame the wood yards for the timber ware houseing as you said it was devided in the early 1900s and it also was a storage for the railways coaches and wagons bringing up goods for brum and distributed around the country it was a huge ware housing
in the late 1800s there was a young lady murdere down there this i was told by an an old priest from st johns and it was because my brothers house was built on the excact land and he had a ghostly spirit in his house for years in the one room it must b felt well below zero temputure and and you just could not sleep or use the room at any time of day
so after suffering all kinds of problems and mystry carring on afters years of experiencing things he fetch the priest in to clear its presence at first he thought he had cleared it but this spirit of the lady ws not having it she kept coming back but after three or four vists by the priest she eventualy left the property
it was the priest whom told us of the rail way siding ware house which became vincent street and this huge sky high building i think it later became vincent timber merchants in the mid 1900s i can actualyrecall sheepote laneand the building even thou it was badly bombed but the rail way sideing was there until at least the late sixtys
may be we have some older generation whom is still alive today may be able to recall this lane as well from garbett st and vincent street and even sheepcote street
best wishes Astonian

In my old Wakelin's Street Guide, price 9d old money so pre 1971 it gives Sheepcote Lane, B1 - 81 King Edward's Road and Sheepcote Street, 79 Broad Street to St. Vincent's Street, B15.

Hi there
that is very correct there i lived at 243 king edwards rd and roamed the streets up and down the the whole area from lady wood to harborne
quinton as well and hockley and i can recall the change over on tha t part of sheepcote street where baxters bolts and screws was

The Cottage of Content, Sheepcote Lane. An Iron Room article (Birmingham Libraries)...

Back