• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

SHEEPCOTE LANE LADYWOOD

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks would anyone have any photos of sheepcote lane please...i just have the one which is not very good...thanks for any help

lyn

Lyn, "If" you mean Sheepcote Street there are a few on the Old Ladywood site, if not apologies.

thanks dib44 but it is sheepcote lane i am after...got loads of sheepcote st

lyn

Nice photo Mike, and the road sign confirms the location. Interestingly the small plate with the figure one (this part was B1) is a later addition. There must be some historical date(s) when this was done and how widespread was this feature in older parts, presumably, of the city?

Hello @mikejee thanks for the photo of Sheepcote Lane. My grandfather was born at no. 22. Do you have any idea the house numbers showing on your photo? I would love to identify 22 if it is visible there.
Thanks
Peter

The photo is from the northern end of the street.The house on the far right of the phot is no 2. Teh map below shows the position of no 23, so you can see that 23 is amongst those at the other end of the street

map c1950 showing 23 sheepcote lane.jpg

Thank you very much Mike. I haven't seen an old OS map with house numbers on before - what is your source for this please? I may be able to locate other ancestral homes!
Thanks again, Peter

It was from the old maps site, which is now defunct. However I understand that the National library of Scotland site (https://maps.nls./), which already has the town plan maps from the 1880s on it (no numbering), is going to add the 1950s large scale OS maps to the site, probably later in the year.

Back