• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheep st, Gem st and Buck st.

Hi i lived in buck street at number 32 up ontill it was knocked down and was moved out to kingstanding
Welcome Tony. I have a feeling you knew my relatives from Buck Street, my Nan, Mary Ann, my uncle, Johnny Ellis? He often spoke about a Tony Barlone who had some connection to Ice Cream? He also spoke of Mickey Brannigan and the Iomis'. Sadly he is no longer with us so I can't ask him

Hi jlmbo yes i remember johny ellis he used to come to our house. I lived in the back with my grandad who did the ice cream and my uncle tony my mum's. Name was sheila. And in the front of the house was my cousin's amelia brannigan and son micky and two doughters patty and josie. Did you know jonny morris he was allways at our house. Hes still going strong i see him from time to time hasent changed a bit And yes i remember iomis and vinsents shop. If you want to give me a call my number is 07436012167 take care

Last edited by a moderator:
hi tony and welcome..although you are at liberty to post your tel number on open forum it could leave you open to receiving unwanted calls from strangers..if members wish to contact other members giving their personal contact details we do advise that this is done through our private message system...you can edit your tel number out of your post if you wish or i can do it for you...i will leave it up to you

lyn

Hi Tony, my ancestors John and Amelia Veness lived in Buck st during the late eighteen hundreds, a little before your time.

Hi jimbo i do remember johny ellis he used to come to our house to see amelia brannigan and her son micky & his sisters patty and josie my cousin's they lived in the front of the house and me my grandad and uncle tony in the back, they was great times. Sadly micky died about 8 years ago and patty died just over a year ago, josie is still ok. Did you know johnny morris hes still around and hasn't chang a bit hes still a robing git and a paln in the ass but we still love him, it was known as the italin quarter where we lived becouse there was us the barlones. The iomis &vlnsents and i think queeny was italian, othere family's around there was the renoulds the tates and molly hemmings. The tates lived in the school just near by. So take care hope that helps

Hi Tony, my ancestors John and Amelia Veness lived in Buck st during the late eighteen hundreds, a little before your time.
Hi robert yes its before my time i was there from 1949 to about 59 when they knocked them down. It was all italians around there then. So take care. Tony

hi tony and welcome..although you are at liberty to post your tel number on open forum it could leave you open to receiving unwanted calls from strangers..if members wish to contact other members giving their personal contact details we do advise that this is done through our private message system...you can edit your tel number out of your post if you wish or i can do it for you...i will leave it up to you

lyn
Sorry didn't. Realize

My dad used to say i should go to gem street school as a kid,was there a school in the area.If so what type was it? my old man said it was a special needs school,was he right?
Hi i went to gem street and yes there was a special needs school but mine was next door a normal school

We lived in Lawrence just around the corner from Kyrle Hall
and used to play soccer in the street when it wasn't busy
I remember going to the dental clinic and having to inhale gas
before having a tooth removed, what an experience

We lived in Lawrence just around the corner from Kyrle Hall
and used to play soccer in the street when it wasn't busy
I remember going to the dental clinic and having to inhale gas
before having a tooth removed, what an experience
Hi I was born in Lawrence st in 1951 and moved out in 1967 when the council started to demolish the street.family name of Mason.

hi violetmargaret
sorry I don't remember the name, we only lived in Lawrence St for a few years
but we would have passed your place each day on the way to school
we used to go to Bishop Ryder in Gem St

hi violetmargaret
sorry I don't remember the name, we only lived in Lawrence St for a few years
but we would have passed your place each day on the way to school
we used to go to Bishop Ryder in Gem St
Hi ,when did you live in lawrence street? I also went to Bishop Ryder school ,head mistress was miss Goodhall.other teachers I remember was Mrs Bull /Mrs Green/Mrs Ramsey/Mr Rawling and Mr Jacobs.happy days.

hi violetmargaret
we lived in Lawrence St from about 1956 to june 1959, dad was in the navy during the war
and went to a lot of different countries and after the war wanted to take the family to Australia
so in 1959 we were able to emigrate to Australia

Sheep st, Gem st and Buck st, does any one have any photos or information ie when they were demolished.   ÂÂ

Thanks Robert.
Buck Street from Bartholomew Street, Birmingham and Nineteenth Century Birmingham.

Attachments

• Buck Street from Bartholomew Street, Birmingham.jpg
    Buck Street from Bartholomew Street, Birmingham.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Nineteenth Century Birmingham..jpg
    Nineteenth Century Birmingham..jpg
    213 KB · Views: 36
hi paul just to clarify that the photo you posted is not taken from bartholomew street...its taken from batholomew row ...bartholomew row is on the right with leek st on the left as shown by this map...great photo though and as robert said photos of this st are very thin on the ground and its a new one to me

lyn

buck street from bartholomew row on the right.jpgBuck Street from Bartholomew row on the right 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back