• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheep st, Gem st and Buck st.

Many thanks for posting the photo of Kyrle Hall... my school Pitman's College in Corporation Street... went their for gym. we didn't have facilities at the school itself. Georgie

My husband used to play table tennis there Georgie. Jean.

And me I was in the team there was me Barry Fletcher (from Fletchers )and a lad called Terry---- Cant remember his other name but he was the best player we had I also played for their football team. Dek

Ithink I've mentioned my memories of Sheep Street on the Forum before, not very happy one's, for when the nurse came to check you out at the school I attended (St Mary's, Aston Brook) if the following week you were given a sheet of paper to take home with a perforated line across the middle, and a large 'D' stamped on both halves, it was to inform your parents you required dental treatment, and they were to sign and return one half and keep the other. Then a few weeks later the summons would come for them to take you to the Sheep Street Dental Clinic, if you were due for a filling it was best if it was a morning appointment, the Dentist had to press on a foot pedal to make the drill turn, these were usualy lady Dentists so by lunch time they were worn out and in the afternoons the drills turned very slowly and since nearly all fillings were done with a local anasthetic pain was ensured. If you were due an extraction, usually under a general anasthetic, the first bit of torture was a spring loaded device (metal) was put in your mouth so powerful that your mouth was never opened that wide before, then a nasty smelling rubber mask placed over your nose and mouth, in fact almost covering your face!. You came round coughing and spluttering blood, were ejected out of the chair and sent to a small adjoining room containing a row of crock sinks with permanantly flowing taps, and iron cups dangling on chains from the wall to rinse your mouths out! .... There were about six dentist chairs side by side by the way so you suffered everydodys agony, not a very nice place to visit, anyone else remember this place? Don Clive

Thanks for the memories (I think). It wasn't quite like that when I went, there was only one dentist chair in the room, and I had gas a few times, but, the dentist changed to a needle , which he inserted under my tongue. Afterwards it was very sore. I remember the smell of the mask (even into my 30's, when I had my son at age 39, they stuck the mask on my face, it brought memories flooding back so strong, that I refused gas). And that horrible contraption (one size fits all) they wedged in your mouth. One visit, the dentist said to the nurse, 'this girl's very brave she doesn't need anything'. I haven't got a clue why he suddenly decided that. Some things were a mystery to a child in those days.
But, the best part of my visits to the dentist's, was my Auntie Edie used to take me to the milk bar afterwards for a glass of milk, then to that huge haberdashers on the corner, the windows always fascinated me, then we'd carry on walking into town.
Ithink I've mentioned my memories of Sheep Street on the Forum before, not very happy one's, for when the nurse came to check you out at the school I attended (St Mary's, Aston Brook) if the following week you were given a sheet of paper to take home with a perforated line across the middle, and a large 'D' stamped on both halves, it was to inform your parents you required dental treatment, and they were to sign and return one half and keep the other. Then a few weeks later the summons would come for them to take you to the Sheep Street Dental Clinic, if you were due for a filling it was best if it was a morning appointment, the Dentist had to press on a foot pedal to make the drill turn, these were usualy lady Dentists so by lunch time they were worn out and in the afternoons the drills turned very slowly and since nearly all fillings were done with a local anasthetic pain was ensured. If you were due an extraction, usually under a general anasthetic, the first bit of torture was a spring loaded device (metal) was put in your mouth so powerful that your mouth was never opened that wide before, then a nasty smelling rubber mask placed over your nose and mouth, in fact almost covering your face!. You came round coughing and spluttering blood, were ejected out of the chair and sent to a small adjoining room containing a row of crock sinks with permanantly flowing taps, and iron cups dangling on chains from the wall to rinse your mouths out! .... There were about six dentist chairs side by side by the way so you suffered everydodys agony, not a very nice place to visit, anyone else remember this place? Don Clive

Thank you for your comments 'Fashionz', the story I told was of about 70 years ago, my older sister has similar recollections, I believe the clinic suffered damage during the war so things may have altered. Don Clive

Dek Pete can't remember any names from that time and Barrie They don't make shoes like that these days unless you are a millionaire and can afford them. Don don't fillings are a sore point with me today I am afraid. Jean.

Last edited:
cant remember if i posted this one before...

Buck20Street_.jpg

I'm not sure Brumgum. I just have the one I posted as Kyrle Hall. Certainly, as kyrle Hall is listed as being built in the 1890s, yours is more likely to be the original. Possibly there was an extension to it later.

I'm not sure Brumgum. I just have the one I posted as Kyrle Hall. Certainly, as kyrle Hall is listed as being built in the 1890s, yours is more likely to be the original. Possibly there was an extension to it later.

This is Kyrle Hall as i remember it in the late 50s it had a flat roof where we played football.

When I attended school in Corporation Street in the early 1950's. The school used Kryle Hall as their
gym facilities. It was equipped with basic equipment such as vaulting horses, hoola hoops, boxing equipment, scratchy coconut mats,etc.
Nothing very exciting.

brumgum, I had a look around online since I didn't know anything about the original building except that I had seen a
photo of it before. It is described in this Wiki page with some interesting notes about the Birmingham Guild of Handicrafts
who used the original building for it's meetings. It also includes how it became to be called Kyrle Hall. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Guild_of_Handicraft

Last edited:
Pitman's College had their last school photograph taken on the flat roof of Kyrle Hall in 1959 just before I started school at Pitman's in Corporation Street. My sister is on the photograph as she was 2 years ahead of me. I certainly went to gym there probably up to 1961.... Pitman's had then moved to Norfolk House, Smallbrook Ringway. Georgie.

Thank's all, a deceased relative worked there as a secretary in the forties and was given as a gift at the time a book containing copies of the Kyrle Hall flash a weekly news letter of the establishment covering about two yeas during the war. We've recently inherited it and it reads like an historical document of the time with letters sent to the editor from members that were abroad in the forces around 1942 1943. It was a very sporty club with all kinds of activities for Boys and Girls and also dances were held and my father met my mother here. A man called Horace Ball was very influential at this club at the time,does this name ring a bell with anyone?,
Thank's Brumgum:loyal:.

Hi
Just looking at the thread, does anyone have any other photos of Gem Street other than the one posted
as a family member John Glew started his furniture business here back in 1859 and then moved to 67 & 68 Great Hampton Street.
Thanks Cath

Hello all. Would it be possible for any of the members who had kindly posted photos of Sheep St, Gem St and Buck St to re-post them if they can. My father lived at 1/33 Buck Street with my Nan and Grandad before the war.with regards to the photo of buck street in post 99 it cant be 1945,as I was living in buck st: and to get wood for the v-e bonfire to celebrate the end of the war, we took it from the mission which had been bombed, workmen were in the process of clearing all the rubble away, whilst they were having a break, we took some old wood and when the foreman returned he called the police and had us pinched for theft. I had to go to court and was find 2/6p in old money. that conviction stopped me from getting a job on the post office. i was 1 0 year old at the time of this dreadful crime. our house was at the bottom of buck st on the right by the globe pub opposite queenies kip house. Joe Iommi lived half way up buck street, I believe it is his grandson tony who played with black Sabbath. John Ellis

Here's a 1960 photo of Buck St that unfortunately doesn't show as far down as it needs to go.

Attachments

• Nechells Buck Street.jpg
    Nechells Buck Street.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 68
Sheep Street, Aston

:) I have only just joined the Webring... so here goes.

My father sold 59, 60 and 61 Sheep Street on 12 March 1971... this was required for the Gosta Green Redevelopment Area. Now Aston University.

In a letter dated November 1969 the Corporation were going to "erect an additonal Raking Shore towards the front of the boundary wall, which should prevent movement. Demolish a further portion of the front wall of the adjoining demolished cottage to reduce wind resistance." .....etc.

My Great Grandfather purchased 59/61 Sheep Street in 1915 for £ 560 it was then called "Centaur Tool Works" but my families business was N.Budd & Son, Tent and Marquee Hire.

I have copied the above from the original letters.

Georgie Garrett
Hi Georgie, We lived next door at number 62 ,I was 10 years old, we used to play in your G G Grandfather warehouse lol . We would wait for them to lock up and sneak in at night ( Great times) My dad also did some work for G G father .

Hello all. Would it be possible for any of the members who had kindly posted photos of Sheep St, Gem St and Buck St to re-post them if they can. My father lived at 1/33 Buck Street with my Nan and Grandad before the war.with regards to the photo of buck street in post 99 it cant be 1945,as I was living in buck st: and to get wood for the v-e bonfire to celebrate the end of the war, we took it from the mission which had been bombed, workmen were in the process of clearing all the rubble away, whilst they were having a break, we took some old wood and when the foreman returned he called the police and had us pinched for theft. I had to go to court and was find 2/6p in old money. that conviction stopped me from getting a job on the post office. i was 1 0 year old at the time of this dreadful crime. our house was at the bottom of buck st on the right by the globe pub opposite queenies kip house. Joe Iommi lived half way up buck street, I believe it is his grandson tony who played with black Sabbath. John Ellis
Hi i lived in buck street at number 32 up ontill it was knocked down and was moved out to kingstanding

Back