• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shawbury / Shustoke Approved School info

emmasot

hi my dad recently told me and my sisters that he was sent to shawbury approved school just after he finished school cause he was a naughty boy :S lol. he has bin blanking it out for many years and never uncovered this untill last week, he cant remember the exact year he went but we narrowed it down from 1958 to 1965. i was wondering if anyone was at the school around this time and remembers him his name is john shaw, and have any info about it including photos. i would be very greatfull of a reply thanks emma.

Hello Emmasot & welcome,

I had an Uncle attend that "School" but many years before your dates,, it opened in 1868 so thats way, way back.
If you put in your Comp search engine, Shawbury Approved School/Shustoke Industrial School you should get a www
address to get into their own historical website,,theres a terrific photograph on there (Taken in 1980,s)
My Uncle used to call it the "Strawberry Fields", i thought he was talking about the Beatles but no, this School had its
own Farm & fields of strawberrys, Tough place for naughty lads but they all learned somethings good as well.
Cheers John

i have searched and that prob the only photo i found of it i would like to see more. my dad learned gardening there and went on to get a job as a gardener and went on lots of visits to places he would of not been able to if he did not go in there so like he says he dont see it as a bad part of his life but he has never being in trouble again so must of done him good.

i have searched and that prob the only photo i found of it i would like to see more. my dad learned gardening there and went on to get a job as a gardener and went on lots of visits to places he would of not been able to if he did not go in there so like he says he dont see it as a bad part of his life but he has never being in trouble again so must of done him good.
What year was your Dad there?

This member hasn’t signed into the Forum since 2014 and so it’s unlikely you will get a response. However the comment was made earlier: “between 1958 and 1965”.

Chris

Back