• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

shaw

lenbrum

born in Victoria road aston in 1949 went to upper Thomas street school 1960-66 mom was edna weaver and dad len who lived in church road with sister Nellie until he married in 1948.His last job was at hp sauce until he died in 1979.Had a poor but happy childhood anyone remember aston in those days

Hi I know this is an old post but I was intrigued, my nan was a Nellie Shaw she had a brother Frank who was an engine driver at Aston goods shed I think they lived somewhere near the parish church, she later married Billy Harris and moved to Perry Common

Don't think there's a connection.

The original poster's Leonard & Nellie appear to be Leonard Sydney & Harriet Nellie Shaw, children of George Charles Shaw & Edith Morris. George Charles Shaw was born Aston.

And if your grandparents lived in Witton Lodge Road then I think your Nellie & Frank were Nellie Victoria & Frank Sydney Shaw, children of Robert Shaw & Mary Ann Lakin. Robert Shaw was born Northamptonshire. Which you probable already know.

Thank you that was really interesting yes my nan did live in Witton Lodge Road Frank Sydney was dad Eric Sydneys uncle. Thank you also for the additional information regarding my forbears something I never knew, my younger brother Colin would also send his appreciation

One little snippet then...

Robert Shaw came from Harlestone and the Shaws seem to have been there for at least a century. He had a brother with the great name of Yaxley, who was probably named after his maternal grandfather, a Yaxley Mays from Castle Acre, Norfolk.

Wow, many thanks, not having the wherewithal to find out these things you have been really helpful Ive learnt more about my family in the last 60 mins than I have in the last 60 years! Grateful thanks

For at least 70 years your relatives lived on Long Acre, Nechells. Firstly in 1891 Mary Ann Lakin was living there with her sister and brother in law at 386, then in 1901 & 1911 Robert & Mary Shaw were on Long Acre, possibly at 344 where they were on the ERs in later years. Frank Sydney was listed there after Robert & Mary's deaths and then his son, Ronald Sydney was listed there as well before possibly moving to 266, listed there in 1965.

Mary Ann Lakin was born in Erdington as were her parents George Lakin and Mary Ann Dollman. George's father, Joseph Lakin was born in Minworth, baptised Curdworth 3 Feb 1805.

Back