• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shaw Hill House Alum Rock

Macca

master brummie
Hi,

I have tried in vain to locate Shaw Hill House on the 1891 census, I have found it on previous censuses and it appears on the 1901 & 1911 censuses. I'm beginning to think that part of the schedule must be missing which would be a real shame. Up until 1901 it was a private dwelling and at some time between 1901 & 1911 it became St Michaels Home for the Incarnation of Little Boys, although it was known locally as simply 'the orphanage'. If anyone can find it on the 1891 census I'd be really grateful.:)

Macca

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it may have changed its name . Ignore if you know this already, but the directory of 1892 lists "Shawe Hill" house on Alum rock road as being occupied by William Bridgewater. Between 1890 and 1892 there must have been a change in the boundaries of Birmingham, as, in 1890, this part (but not the whole) of Alum rock road is outside the main birmingham boundary and is listed as a suburb, Ward end. the suburbs are only listed by private address or business, but Shaw (or Shawe) hill house is not included in ward end, though it must have been in the area. I chaecked 1890 and 1888 directories and I am certain that a house of that size would ahve been included, which is why i think it may have changed its name.
Mike

Macca

master brummie
Thanks Mikejee, I searched for William Bridgewater and found that that Shaw Hill House had been mistranscribed as 'Shorn Hill'. Without your help I probably wouldn't have found it, thanks again.
Macca

BordesleyExile

master brummie
John Garlick, who lived at Shaw Hill House in 1881 looks to have had an interesting life. He claims to have employed 700 men, so he must have been involved in some large projects or else many small ones. Apparently there is mention of his impulsive nature in "The Trade Associations of Birmingham Brickmakers" but the book is not presently available and all I can find is this mention on Rootsweb. Garlick & his wife seem to have been regarded as trustworthy & were called upon to act as executors.
I am unable to find the 1901 or 1911 census for Shaw Hill House Saltley. Can anyone help?

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shirley
i will send you the page for 1901. I dont have access to 1911 yet.
1901 ref is Warcks.Aston.Erd. dist 38.p 38

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Thank you very much, Mike. The search consumed hours yesterday. According to the 1912 Kellys Shaw Hill was under the charge of Sister Rosa. I am unsure how FMP 1911 name search engine will deal with her! I'll try working geographicaly along Alum Rock Rd census.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what i do Shirley. try 7 find a relatively unusual name and work along

Macca

master brummie
Bordesleyexile,

In the 1911 census Shaw Hill House is listed as: PRIVATE ORPHANAGE SHAW HILL HOUSE NASEBY ROAD SALTLEY BIRMINGHAM

Macca

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Thank you, Mike & Macca. As the FMP search engine does not recognise Naseby Rd is there a name & year of birth I could use, Macca, to locate the orhanage census?

Macca

master brummie
If you do a place search rather than a person search, enter: Naseby Road, County: Warwickshire, place: Saltley the orphanage is last on the list. The orphanage was also known as St Michaels Home for the Incarnation of Little Boys although it was not listed as such on the census.

Macca

Macca

master brummie
Also, if you use www.1911census.co.uk rather than FMP I find it easier to search, you can use your subscription/credits from FMP and its easier to organise your records there. Please forgive me if you know this already!

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Thank you, Macca. Its because FMP search engine is not working for Naseby Rd that I need to know either the name & rear of birth of someone who lived at the orphanage or else the reference no for that census page. Can you help?

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Thank you so much, Macca. The reference allowed me to locate both of the census pages I needed. What young boys the sisters had in their care. I do hope that the children were well looked after. With only 11 rooms & a number of adult staff living at Shaw Hill House it must have been a little cramped.