• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sharvin/ Crowle Ellis. Woodville mother and baby home 1945

Sharvin45

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some information on my mothers time at the Woodville mother and baby home. I was born there in July 1945. My mother Martha Sharvin is from the north East of England, was working in Birmingham and kept me after I was born and took me back north. A wonderful strong woman. As I reflect on my life I am remembering stories my mother and other members of the family told me. I might have been a twin and I might have a different father than who I was told (there is no father on the birth cert.) Crowle Ellis is the name that has been hinted. Even if I just find out about my mothers experience at the home I would be greatful

There is only one Sharvin registered in Bham in 1945, which I'm assuming is yourself. I would expect that it you did have a twin he/she would also have been registered as Sharvin, even if they were given up for adoption.

You also seem to have been registered as Ellison with the mmn Sharvin, which seems to relate to a re-registration in 1950. Is that to do with a subsequent marriage of your mother?

Martha married John James W Ellison in 1948, on the 1939 census he is married living in Chester le street, later divorced his ex wife married in 1954.

Martha was the daughter of Daniel Sharvin b 1872 in Co Down Ireland
in 1911 he was the licensee of the Odd Fellows Arms Seaham harbour
with his wife Norah nee murphy b 1882 Durham
and children Margaret 8,Ann 5,north 3 and Martha 7 months

1n 1939 Martha is a Parlour maid in St Albans Hertfordshire
and her sisters Adeline b 1917 and Helen b 1914 are also servants there.

There were 3 Sharvin brothers of the girls Daniel j 1912, William J 1920 and Anthony P 1913

Back