• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Share Holders Arms

S

Speedy

I am trying to find any info on The share Holders Arms of Park Lane Aston, in 1863 Mr John Turner was there, and I think he may have been my G-G-Granddad, I am trying to find out who he was married to and any children to see if it is the correct John Turner (publican) that I am looking for.

Bev

Thanx Alf, I already use that site, it's just I was hoping some one close to that area, or some one who has any knowledge of the pub could share the info with me, due to the fact I can't get up there so easy, due to living in Devon, and working full time, so not much chance of getting out and about. :(

I live in Suffolk ex Aston and they have certainly helped me but most of my help has come from the little Forum Folk:)

Alf I used to live in the midlands, but now I live in Devon, so I find it hard to get back up there for research, that's why I join loads of sites, some one some where should be able to help... :)

Bev

Bev.....John Turner was living at the shareholders in 1861, along with his son William aged 15, and his sister in law Eliza Brewin aged 23...
it states that John was born in Coleshill about 1819, I cannot make out if his a widower or not.......I have tried to match them up in 1851 but having a few problems due to finding them with a much larger family..?

Found this John Turner on the 1851 census.

Head: TURNER, John Neighbors 273626
Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace
John TURNER Head M 29 M Retail Brewer Coleshill-WAR
Sarah Ann TURNER Wife M 26 F --- Birmingham-WAR
William John TURNER (Son) - 3 M Scholar Birmingham-WAR
Joseph TURNER Bro U 25 M Retail Brewer Coleshill-WAR
Joseph HODGKISSON Asst U 20 M --- ----LEC
Eliza HODGKISSON Asst U 18 F --- ----LEC
Address: Upper Hockley St, Birmingham
Census Place: Birmingham Birmingham, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2059 Folio: 106 Page: 24 FHL Film: 0332122

Well done...John....I was trying to match another John Turner born 1819, with Bev's....I put a 2 year plus/minus on his birth date...and miss him completely....

Isn't it great on here we have back up when searching. John I do that all the time its so annoying....... well done Nick.

Bev....a couple of photo's of the Shareholders Arms first one is from 1969...taken from the main site, the other taken a year or two ago....I am not too sure when it was rebuilt.... sometime in the 1950's I think....

Attachments

• Aston Shareholders Arms Park Lane - Potters Lane.jpg
    Aston Shareholders Arms Park Lane - Potters Lane.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Aston Shareholders Arms Park Rd 2 .JPG
    Aston Shareholders Arms Park Rd 2 .JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 3
Thanx every one for all your efforts, I have been totaly stumped on this one, due to not being able to find William Henry Turners marriage to Lydia Biddle they had 3 children, Rosina Lydia Turner 11 July 1878, David William Turner 17 Aug 1880, & May Violet Turner 10 Aug 1886, don't know if there are any other children, if so I haven't found them yet.

The problem I'm having is trying to match the correct William Henry Turner to the correct father, which I think is John Turner, and he was a publican, and thanx for those piccies of the pub.

May Turner married Thomas Biddle, they are my grand parents, other lines of my tree I have been able to go back to mid 1700's and it is confirmed, but this Biddle/Turner line is proving to be so elusive I feel like i'm loosing my mind, just the normal thing with this hobby....lol

Bev

Yes Bev we know the feelimg, I just go and look at the main website and clear my mind if it gets like that. or have a game of cards on the web,:)

Alf I know that feeling, I also take a break and have a game or 2 of cards, I just wish I could find that flaming marriage, as that would make my searching a bit easier.

Bev

Alf I have just had another break through, with info from this site, how I wish I had found it earlier, but as they say better late than never..

Bev

All I can see is Chelsea (spit) AFC Bev:Aah:

Last edited:
Alf I also like to see how ....nal get on, and Villa, I have 3 sons, oldest supports Villa (brilliant stadium tour) middle son is ....nal, and youngest Chelsea, I started following them when youngest was a lot younger, in compertition to middle son, who used to give young 'un some stick, I used to help him think of come back answers, don't have to now he's old enough to do it him self, but then Jose joined, and thats it I'm stuck now...lol

Shareholders Arms

:)
Hi there, just had to reply after seeing the photos of the Shareholders. It was rebuilt in the early 1960s. I know because my dad, Arthur Taylor, was the manager and the pub was actually built around the old pub while we were living in it!
We moved there in 1957 and left to move to The Stork Inn, High St Aston/Newtown Row in 1962. The old pub was tiny with just one bar and the accommodation upstairs was pretty bad. Mum and Dad had a bedroom but my brother and I slept top to toe in a single bed in the sitting room which looked down onto Park Lane. There was an indoor toilet but the bath was in the kitchen with an old door on top as a work surface for Mum!
One of the young carpenters working on the new pub fittings was deaf and I remember him making me a crib for my dolls! He also made a side table for my Mum which I still use today. The actor, Roger Tongue (Crossroads' Sandy Richardson) had grown up in Park Lane and he used to come over to play with my brother at the pub. Happy memories!
Empty

Welcome Empty, enjoy I know you will.:)

I was born in Newtown Row not far from the Stork Dad used it a lot with the Male members of the Family after he came out of the Army

Back