• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shard End

Paul51

I lived on The Heathway in Shard End for about 15 years, in 1958 before the Shard End Crescent shops were finished being built there were 3 different vans that came round and pulled up either on the Heathway or the bottom of Brownfield Road, 1 was what we used to call the Black and White van, his van was painted like a chess board, he used to sell old style sweets like troach drops and herbal sweets, there was also a larger van used to stop at the bottom of Brownfield Road he also sold all manner of sweets, there was also a single decker coach style man that used to sell vegetables, he would come round once a day and pull up on the Heathway, in those days we all had milkmen, Bradfords or Hawleys Bakers vans, you could leave your doors unlocked and you and all your friends could play on the cow fields all day. what a shame to see Shard End as it is now, thats progress for you!

I lived on The Heathway in Shard End for about 15 years, in 1958 before the Shard End Crescent shops were finished being built there were 3 different vans that came round and pulled up either on the Heathway or the bottom of Brownfield Road, 1 was what we used to call the Black and White van, his van was painted like a chess board, he used to sell old style sweets like troach drops and herbal sweets, there was also a larger van used to stop at the bottom of Brownfield Road he also sold all manner of sweets, there was also a single decker coach style man that used to sell vegetables, he would come round once a day and pull up on the Heathway, in those days we all had milkmen, Bradfords or Hawleys Bakers vans, you could leave your doors unlocked and you and all your friends could play on the cow fields all day. what a shame to see Shard End as it is now, thats progress for you!
i remember the sweet van and playing on the cow fields and old sewer farm. and taking a load of tomatoes home, "mom said were did you get them?" i told her and in the bin they went she said do not eat any she never said why lol.
also norman chaimberling park lake/quarry was a great adventure.

Shard End - Wikipedia​

Back