• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shakespeare Street, Sparkhill

B

badger

Can anyone recall Shakespeare Street in Sparkhill. It was at the top of the hill on the left as you came out of the city. (probably still there)

Friends of the Famiily used to have the little shop there. I'm not sure but I think there may have been ancesters living in the street at some stage.

badger

Shakespeare St, Sparkhill runs from the left hand side of St Johns Church Stratford Rd to Warwick Rd. As you have guessed it is still there, but it is mostly commercial buildings now, and the Stratford Rd end by the Church is blocked so it is in effect a dead end to traffic, but there is pedestrian access.

pmc1947

Thanks for that pmc1947

Does any one know people who lived there? The People who owned the shop were the Wallace family.

Shakespeare Street Sparkhill

Hi 'Badger'
What era / dates are you talking about? My Dad lived in St Johns Road (Right hand side of St Johns Church) in the 1930s/1940s/1950s - and knew almost everyone in the area - including folks livings in Shakespeare St.

Cheers

Wendy
:):):):):)

Hi paigntonplace

thanks for answering. I knew the Wallace fammily who owned (or ran) the small shop about halfway down on the left. This was in the late 50's early 60's maybe, but they were good friends of the family, and I wondered how we came to know them. I know that there were Hopkins' in the road as I have found a William with that street name as an address. My parents (Hopkins) were in Larches street in the 30's, and I know some ancesters operated a cab (handsome cabs) business from the Mermaid, I would think late 19th Cent.

Mermaid Cab Rank

Badger

You mentioned your ancestors having a cab rank at the Mermaid, Stratford Rd. I just wondered if you had seen this.

Phil

SparkbrookTheMermaidStratfordRdCabRank.jpg

pmc147 thats a great pic, thanks, do you mind if I copy it for my records?

I do have a similar one but the cabs are better displayed on yours.

Thanks again

Shakeseare street still runs from Stratford Road through to Warwick Road. At least up until a few years ago; my google images are not the latest. The buildings are quite different though but maybe the building just north of the church dates back to 1890. It may have been refurbished but it looks the same shape somehow. You have probably seen the survey map but I will post the link for quick reference.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...d=10119&ox=1069&oy=519&zm=1&czm=1&x=348&y=176

I guess the cabs would wait there because it was the end of the tram line from the city. A good place to pick up passengers.

Last edited:
Thanks for that pmc1947

Does any one know people who lived there? The People who owned the shop were the Wallace family.
i lived in the street from 1945 to 1950 there were 3 shops first shop was wallace corner of bard st was chambers and corner of avon st old lady kept it we lived at 24 the davis family

i lived in the street from 1945 to 1950 there were 3 shops first shop was wallace corner of bard st was chambers and corner of avon st old lady kept it we lived at 24 the davis family
the factory was warings before that a farm was there in bard st a row of farm cottages was there . there was another farm yard bottom of st right hand side they ran a milk business called warfoes

Back