• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shaftmoor Lane

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This is Shaftmoor Farm in 1910. The second view is of the lane (sorry no date). Is the farm still there? Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I would be very surprised if it was there as the area is now built up with houses. Will do some searching.

According to Bll Dargue's site the farmhouse was demolished in 1929 and replaced with a housing estate.The farm was situated near Russell Road off Shaftmoor Lane

Hi Viv. In a book by John Marks entitled "Hall Green and Yardley Wood on old picture postcards" there is the same postcard of Shaftmoor Lane (your second photo) in #1. The caption reads, "Shaftmoor Farm, where Russell and Cateswell Roads are today. Once a home of the Greswolds family, it was owned by Philip Steedman when this postcard was published in 1918". A caption to a similar postcard of Shaftmoor Farm states, "Much of this land was sold for development, and Steedman opened a garage in the outbuildings before they were demolished about 1936". Dave.

I believe there were two farms on Shaftmoor Lane, the one in the photo which later became a garage the other was nearer to Stratford Road and later became Lucks Timberyard. In this first photo you can see the new estate being built behind the barn type building. The second is of the Farm that became Lucks

Acocks Green Shaftmoor Lane Stedmans (Elts) Garage 1924.JPG

Sparkhill Shaftmoor Lane Kings Farm ( Later Lucks Timberyard).JPG

Very interesting Dave and Phil. The 1930s seems to have been a major turning point for Shaftmoor Lane. This pre-1930s row of houses near Springcroft Road survived this development. The house in the older image might be the one to the left of street light in the modern Streetview (or could be the one on the end of the terrace).

The houses have lost their mock balconies above the bays. Lovely scroll detail above the front door. Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 24
The Post Office on the corner of Spring Road and Shaftmoor Lane. I would imagine it was a little unusual to have. P.O. within a draper’s shop. Attached is the modern view, the premises are still there today.

Seems that many of the ground floor premises to the left have since been converted from domestic to retail outlets, Viv.

6D4347DA-2B27-4022-8C02-7B8A3C2D032B.jpegDAD46F73-5912-4C76-B724-E8335CE1B0D1.jpeg

A nice Christmas card style view of Shaftmoor Lane in 1907, If I remember correctly when I came across this photo there was mention of these two men being workers at Fox Hollies Hall so I would imagine they are somewhere near the rear of the Hall.

Attachments

• Acocks Green Shaftmoor Lane 1907.jpg
    Acocks Green Shaftmoor Lane 1907.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 27
Not sure what's happening to the site on the Shaftmoor Lane near Spring Road Station, but demolition signs have gone up!

Although most of the site had been demolished over a decade ago.

I hope the car park near Spring Road Station goes.

Industrial buildings behind to pull down.

It's a big site. Either a supermarket or housing? Also a plot of land on the other side of the road needs building on.

The industrial units to the far left have recently closed down. The site to the right towards Spring Road Station had already been cleared years and years ago! Aero Engine Controls have gone now.

The demolition site is also visible from Olton Boulevard West / Spring Road.

Not sure if this end is part of the demolition?

It's more to the left.

A big claim to fame for Shaftmoor Lane is that (according to Wikipedia) it is the birthplace of Robert Norman Davis on 14th March 1945. Not sure which actual house this would be but it is at the Acocks Green end. He is of course better known as Jasper Carrott. A great comedian who I saw a few years ago at a show in Redhill, Surrey. There is a separate thread for Jasper Carrott in case we deviate too much from Shaftmoor Lane. Dave.

Last edited:
The Post Office on the corner of Spring Road and Shaftmoor Lane. I would imagine it was a little unusual to have. P.O. within a draper’s shop. Attached is the modern view, the premises are still there today.

Seems that many of the ground floor premises to the left have since been converted from domestic to retail outlets, Viv.

View attachment 131502View attachment 131503
Wonderful photo! My great grandmother, Ida Bradley, ran the Post Office here in the 1930s, do you know what year the image was taken?

Last edited:
Welcome Hatfield. Sorry but I don’t have the date for the image. At a guess I would think it was about 1910ish, but afraid that’s just a guess. Great to hear that your grandmother ran the PO. Viv.

A big claim to fame for Shaftmoor Lane is that (according to Wikipedia) it is the birthplace of Robert Norman Davis on 14th March 1945. Not sure which actual house this would be but it is at the Acocks Green end. He is of course better known as Jasper Carrott. A great comedian who I saw a few years ago at a show in Redhill, Surrey. There is a separate thread for Jasper Carrott in case we deviate too much from Shaftmoor Lane. Dave.

Try the above link

In the 50s 60s and 70s the post office was on the opposite corner of Shaftmoor lane and Olton Boulevard East.

Lockdown walk to Shaftmoor Lane.

Nothing much new at the demolition site.

There is also a new car valet place on the land opposite. Saw this Union Jack on May Day.

View attachment 131502View attachment 131503
Have been researching 1 Olton Boulevard, Acocks Green at the corner of Shaftmoor Lane, because it was the last address I can find for my father-in-law's biological dad, John Thomas Jones, and his wife Gladys Miriam Burton. I'm still researching John's life as I've not come across a photo of him, only records of where he lived and died.

They lived there from at least 1957-1962, found thanks to the electoral register on Ancestry. What I also found was a great photograph taken and added to the Frances Frith collection of 1 Olton Boulevard when it was the Post Office taken in circa 1965. (It's at the link below)

https://www.francisfrith.com/acock-s-green/acocks-green-olton-boulevard-east-c1965_a136028

On John Thomas Jones' death certificate in 1965 his occupation is a Retired Sub-Postmaster. They appeared to live above the shop. John's dad had also been a grocer, whilst they lived at 26 Sun Street.
(Another thread on this Sun street road and house exists, because John's mum was Elizabeth (Lizzie Bangor) Mary Assinder, a midwife, and her dad, John Peters Assinder, was the last occupier and business owner of the Tripe Dealer Shop on Digbeth. Fascinating that 3 generations have their own spaces in this forum!)
If anyone knows if there will be records for the sub postmasters with perhaps identification photos, I'd realllllllly love to see it! :):)

Back