• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shaftmoor Lane

In the 50s 60s and 70s the post office was on the opposite corner of Shaftmoor lane and Olton Boulevard East.

Lockdown walk to Shaftmoor Lane.

Nothing much new at the demolition site.

There is also a new car valet place on the land opposite. Saw this Union Jack on May Day.

The Post Office on the corner of Spring Road and Shaftmoor Lane. I would imagine it was a little unusual to have. P.O. within a draper’s shop. Attached is the modern view, the premises are still there today.

Seems that many of the ground floor premises to the left have since been converted from domestic to retail outlets, Viv.

View attachment 131502View attachment 131503
Have been researching 1 Olton Boulevard, Acocks Green at the corner of Shaftmoor Lane, because it was the last address I can find for my father-in-law's biological dad, John Thomas Jones, and his wife Gladys Miriam Burton. I'm still researching John's life as I've not come across a photo of him, only records of where he lived and died.

They lived there from at least 1957-1962, found thanks to the electoral register on Ancestry. What I also found was a great photograph taken and added to the Frances Frith collection of 1 Olton Boulevard when it was the Post Office taken in circa 1965. (It's at the link below)

https://www.francisfrith.com/acock-s-green/acocks-green-olton-boulevard-east-c1965_a136028

On John Thomas Jones' death certificate in 1965 his occupation is a Retired Sub-Postmaster. They appeared to live above the shop. John's dad had also been a grocer, whilst they lived at 26 Sun Street.
(Another thread on this Sun street road and house exists, because John's mum was Elizabeth (Lizzie Bangor) Mary Assinder, a midwife, and her dad, John Peters Assinder, was the last occupier and business owner of the Tripe Dealer Shop on Digbeth. Fascinating that 3 generations have their own spaces in this forum!)
If anyone knows if there will be records for the sub postmasters with perhaps identification photos, I'd realllllllly love to see it! :):)

Back