• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

shadwell street

S

sallyb

hi i wondered if anyone could tell me what the shadwell st area was like around 1900 and what the district is / was called . thanx

hi folks..ugently seeking pics of shadwell st...i am struggling on this one so any help give would be great..i am trying to help a friend whos mom first lived above the gunmakers arms and then moved into a house in this street....its her 76 birthday in august and to see any pics of where she lived would really make her day

many thanks..

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn

This is the best I can do, all three are corner photos.

Phil

Attachments

• City Shadwell St.JPG
    City Shadwell St.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Bath St Gunmakers Arms x.jpg
    Bath St Gunmakers Arms x.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 109
  • City Gun Quarter Bath St.jpg
    City Gun Quarter Bath St.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 105
great thanks phil...i will get copies of these...do you have any idea which is shadwell st in pic 3...would think its the one running accross but not certain...

Phil
Surely the third pic is Bishops House (in red), which was on the corner of Bath St & Weaman St

s_House.jpg

Mike

As you know I don't know this area of the gun quarter well at all you will remember we have discussed it before. So with the photos I have been led solely by the names they were tagged with and the one in question is tagged Shadwell St. I know that in itself that means nothing so I am perfectly willing to accept what you say. Once again falling victim to some fool of a researcher who didn't do their job properly.

Photo 2 the Gun Makers Arms is on the corner of Bath St and (what i knew as) Little Shadwell St which ran down to Shadwell st.Dek

hi please dont worry about it...happens to all of us who collect old pics...this street is proving a toughie to find pics of the houses that was once there...ive got until august though so will plod on..
lyn

Phil
I realise that.

Lyn
Here are two associated with Shadwell st. One shows the view up shadwell st to the left, with St chads to the right. The other is looking from the canal and shows (over the fence) some of the buildings to the left of the back of St Chads

St_chads_from_canal_behind.jpg

City2520Bath2520St2520252822529_.JPG

Dek

I included the Gunmakers arms because Lyn mentioned it in her post, in reality I have no idea whee it was situated.

Lyn
On the ptcture of Shadwell st going up to the left the three houses would, i think, have been nos 1,2, & 3 shadwell st

Lyn
On the ptcture of Shadwell st going up to the left the three houses would, i think, have been nos 1,2, & 3 shadwell st

mike is this your pic 2 we are talking about...smashing photos mike thanks...

thanks mike i will print that one off then...ive still had no luck finding any pics of this street..

lyn

hi lyn, cant help you much with shadwell st. but can tell you all you need to know about villa st?????

bobbo

hi bobbo and welcome to the forum..ive posted plenty about villa street on here..lol

enjoy

lyn

hi folks i am sure that one of our members was asking for pics of this street ages ago but for the life of me i cant remember who it was..

lyn

I'm 5 years late with this I know but the 3rd photo ( Phil #2 ) is definitely on the corner of Shadwell St & Bath St ( the junction of Snow Hill visible down the hill). I know this because in 1960, before I left school, I worked part time from that building on the corner. It was known as Rowland Keen ( gunsmiths ) then. Later that year they were forced to move into Lincoln Jefferies shop in Steelhouse Lane because of the coming Queensway construction. I know the Gunmakers Arms was on the corner of Little Shadwell St & Bath St because Lincoln Jefferies kept some of their stock in one of the buildings next door to the pub. The first photo looks like it could be the bottom of Little Shadwell St & Shadwell St.

Back