• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sgt.Pilot Michael K Daniels from Erdington, 274 Sqdn RAF KIA 16th June 1941

Tyke

Brummie babby
Mick Daniels was the boyfriend/fiancé of my 91 yrs mother. His parents were Herbert and Grace Daniels from Erdington. After a bit of research, this is what I found out about him;

From my records, I have Michael being shot down on 16 June, the first day of Operation Battleaxe (the offensive against Rommel to relieve Tobruk and the push to Derna).
Michael had arrived on 274 Squadron on 12 June, and on 16 June was one of 10 pilots of 274 Squadron who participated in a strafe of the Acroma-Capuzzo Road. At about 1730 hours the Hurricanes were attacked by Bf109s from I/JG27 and four were shot down, one each by Hptm Neumann, Oblt Franzisket, Ltn Hoffmann and Ltn Kothmann. Indeed, two Hurricane pilots were killed, Michael (Hurricane V7348) and Free Frenchman Wt Off Charles Coudray; and two other French pilots survived, F/Sgt Marcel Le Bois (who returned on foot) and F/Off Antoine Peronne (who was taken prisoner).

1162226, 274 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
who died age 19
on 16 June 1941
Son of Herbert and Grace Helen Daniels, of Erdington, Birmingham.
Remembered with honour
HALFAYA SOLLUM WAR CEMETERY

I recently found a couple of photos of him in a locked box in my mother's house. If there are any living relatives in the Erdington area, I would love to send them the photos.
Interestingly, my mother gave him a leather wallet before he left for overseas. She eventually got it back, complete with a Nazi stamp.

Very interesting Tyke, so young like many others who gave their lives for our country,lets hope you get a response,best wishes to you and your Mom for Christmas and the New Year.

When I Googled those German pilots, the phrase "lambs to the slaughter " came to mind.
Only 19 years old, probably not many hours on Hurricanes,only 4 days on the squadron and Michael comes up against some top German aces who had 'cut their teeth ' flying in the Spanish civil war and the Battle of Britain.

lovely photo of mick..i really do hope any of his remaining family come forward so that you can give them the photos of him...good luck

lyn

Yes, I do too but I have a feeling that he was the son and only child of Herbert and Grace Daniels so maybe there are no surviving relatives.

Back