• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Severn valley railway.

ASTONITE

master brummie
Went to the Severn Valley railway yesterday for the first time, for anyone who has not been all I can say is AMAZING. The dedication of all the people involved is truly awe inspiring ,also the skills involved in repairing and running the trains is inspirational, I remember Arley, Bewdley and the river Severn from camping at Arley as a small child and it is relatively unchanged,the views were spectacular, it brought back memories of travelling from Snow Hill and the cries of 'Arley, Highley, Hampton Loade' as we neared our destination, happy days.

We are lucky enough to have a static van at Arley Astonite and our friends own the Harbour Inn. Going down for five days from Monday so Pete can get some fishing in. Might do a bit myself but on the carp pool not the river. Must visit the museum at Highly not been yet. Too many other things to do and we keep putting it off. Did you visit any of the local pubs?. Jean.

Didn't visit any yesterday Jean, the one I remember from my childhood is the new Inn but can't remember where it was located, in the late forties there were a number of old railway carriages and buses etc, that were used as holiday homes, the one we used to stop in was at a place called 'hungry hill', at Arley

You will not beleive it but Pete plays darts and domi's for the New Inne. It is now called Ye Olde New Inne. Our site is Bank Farm next to Hungry Hill. Lloyd collected an old bus from there a few years ago. Bye. Jean.

we have been going to the severn vally railway for the past 14 years ever since my son was about 2 years old and loved thomas the tank. the railway did a thomas the tank theme day so thats how our visits started. must have been at least 10 times. also they do theme days such as the 30s and the war years. not to forget christmas specials. fantastic fun and pure nostalgia. i would recommend going there to anyone. wales.

7812 under steam.

[ame="https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j0R26EloGxs"]YouTube - gwr 7812 "erlestoke manor"[/ame]

Before WW2 my family had (don't know if owned or rented) a holiday cottage at Arley. It was off the road, they had to leave the car at the pub (Wasn't it called the 'Arbour' without the 'H' then?) and walk across a field to it. Is it still there? It had no electricity, gas or running water back then.
I can remember being taken to Arley as a boy in the 50s, on the BR train, and there wasn't a bridge but a ferry which worked on a chain stretched across the river. Dad said the chain broke one night, and the ferry drifted downstream to Worcester!
Here's the ferry as I remember it.

We are going to the Harbour on Tuesday Lloyd and I have heard people talking about the site over the river that had no fascilities. Will ask Sandra who owns the Harbour to sort some old photo's out for me. She is on the site but at the moment does not have a moment to breath. About Pete's dad will get back with more information next week. Cheers. ps. The harbour has it's own website if you want to look. Jean.

Lloyd took a closer look at the photo and it is so different now on the other side of the river. They have made a large ramp to enable the canoo club to enter the water and there is a cream tea area also. Jean.

It wasn't a site, Jean, but a cottage on its own in woods across a field behind the pub. Possibly the pub rented it, but several members of the family (now gone) told me they used to go down at weekends, or for a week's holiday - so I assume they owned or full-time rented it.

It's also possible that my dad rented at least part of a vicarage in the village at some time in the 30s, I remember us walking up the main street and him telling me, but I was too young to be interested then.

That's how I remember Arley, with the ferry. My uncle had a caravan there, so we used to for holidays there in the late 50's early 60's. Beautiful spot.

Ann

We are going to the Harbour on Tuesday Lloyd and I have heard people talking about the site over the river that had no fascilities. Will ask Sandra who owns the Harbour to sort some old photo's out for me. She is on the site but at the moment does not have a moment to breath. About Pete's dad will get back with more information next week. Cheers. ps. The harbour has it's own website if you want to look. Jean.
Whats the website called Jean

Apart from a number of TV specials over the years, the Severn Valley Railway has featured in two feature films, a Jodie Foster family film "Candleshoe", and a Sherlock Holmes mystery-drama "The Seven Per Cent Solution".

Both were filmed as Victorian nostalgia pictures, but since they were both filmed in the 1970's they could turn out to be nostalgia pictures WHEN NEW for us now in 2008.

I'll see if I can find any stills on my next visit to my film memorabilia collection, but with it being a Bank Holiday today it may be a week before I get back there.

:)

Last edited:
Lloyd they have a new one coming out and will find out for Alf. Thanks for giving him that I went to bved a BIT earlier last night. JEAN.

Lloyd that is their new one sorry. Cost them a fortune. Take a look under fishing and look at the river minus the ferry. Isn't it different. bye. Jean.

Photographs taken in 1987 during the filming of the B.B.C. series 'Miss Marples' '4.50 From Paddington', when Miss Marples was played by Joan Hickson.

Thank you Lloyd I liked the other pictures on the other site.

I like the 2nd photo of the Pub .:)

Wonderful memories there Astonite. When I lived in Brum, I went to SVR on many occasions. Great times. Also I worked in Aston with a chap called George Clarke, and he was one of the many voluneers that did an awful lot of unpaid work on the railway because he loved it. I often wonder whether he is still helping. I suppose it would be too much to think that he may even be a member of this site. If youre out there George, drop me a line. Barry.

Bazz, although it's been several years since I rode on the SVR, I do remember at the Bridgnorth end across from the station there were some railway sidings
where quite a few pieces of old rolling stock were parked. These were
being worked on by volunteers some of whom had caravans in the area and came every weekend during the summer to work on these carriages in order to restore them. It was very slow work apparently, mainly due to lack of funding.
Thank goodness for those volunteers.

Last edited:
I totally agree Jennyann. That friend of mine was mad for anything to do with SVR, and spent all his spare time, and money on helping out. A very worth-while cause, I think. Barry.

Baz when we go to the severn vally next wee I will ask after George Clarke for you. We know a couple of workers and I'm sure they would know of him. Chears. Jean.

Went to the Harbour last week and as far as Sandra and Mick know it has always been called that but they may be wrong. The first part of the building was constructed in 1512. Bye. Jean.

I love the SVR its truly amazing what they have achieved. I can remember a gang of us sneaking into Bridgnorth Station one night, getting the station trolley out and going up and down on the line on it and we eventually all ended up sleeping the night in the carriages thanks to a lad with his fathers carriage key (he was a BR guard)

I can also remember around 1970 when they only operated by giving footplate rides, it cost 2/6 for a trip on the footplate of the Collett!

One modern day criticism is that you can no longer see the river very well because of all the trees that have grown up on the tracksides, which is a shame.

And Bridgnorth station is massively overdeveloped and looks scruffy and cramped.

Bridgenorth station serves the best pint of mild and bitter anywhere around. Pete aught know he used to brew the stuff. JEAN.

We love SVR, we go about 6 times a year. The winter is the best, last train back from Bridgenorth and everywhere is pitch dark,all is lit up by gas lamps and the footplate glows with a roaring fire, wonderful. We also love fishing in Arley.
Best place to eat: either Fish n chip shop at Bewdley or Kiddie (Captain Cod opposite the SVR).
Best drink; The King and Castle, Kiddie station or The pub at Bridgenorth station.
Best time to go; ANYTIME!!!

Dont forget the summertime nightime Fish and Chip specials on the DMU, not many people know about them-do you

There's loads of special events. The Fish n chip night is also very good.

What about the 1940's weekends? It is really like stepping back to the war years. SV in bloom is a nice one too. Land rover weekend is a gud un. Thomas the tank is a real thrill for the grandchildren.

Back