• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Seven Unusual or Lost Occupations from History

There have been other sites for the project, Mike. And attempts to make science parks in Birmingham. If you explore the interesting Steamhouse site, you will see there was European funding. This will cease. I would like Birmingham to continue to flourish but will it do so by manufacturing? I honestly don't know. Service industries do well.

The same could be said for the gambling "industry" which , personally,I think pretty parasitic, but also if people were employed to build buildings which were then destroyed . Mind you, with the present average lifetime of modern buildings that process could almost be said to be getting very near.

But I am rather going off topic. We had better get back to the subject of the thread

I don't remember lamplighters but I do remember the men who used to come round and clean the glass of the old gas lamps. They had a ladder which was narrower at the top just like in some of the pictures.

Silk stocking, pegs and condensed milk tin? So far, so good - but can somebody tell me what I do with the perishing things after I've enticed them into the trap please?

Struthers Watches made in Birmingham. I posted about watchmaking earlier in this thread. Now the BBC have made a radio programme on Rebecca Struthers, who with Craig her husband, manufactures high-end watches in the Jewellery Quarter. It will be on the Sounds App for a year. They met at Birmingham horology school. Plenty of mechanical watches are made in Germany, Switzerland and Japan, but few in the UK. I was pleased to see Roger Smith receive an hon doctorate from BCU, he was the apprentice of George Daniels. I'm only sorry that I can't afford a Struthers watch, but it is a treat to listen to this celebration of Birmingham watchmaking, a trade which is not quite extinct.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0019457

Not lost (I don't think) but unusual for the time perhaps. Whilst searching for a George Edwards in the 1911 census came across one (not the correct one) in Bham who was listed as a Professional Roller Skater.

Back