• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Service Numbers

castalla

master brummie
My Grandfather in WW1 Served in the West Riding Regiment, his service number was 3/22898, would the 3 mean 3 Battalion as there were many Battalions trying to whittle down what Battalion and where he served as there is no other recorded info on him only he served in France and he had dental treatment (for one day) by the 51st field Ambulance.

Last edited:
Can't say in all instances but in general I don't think so because most service numbers I've seen are just a series of numbers of various lengths with no slash - xxxxxx. If it signified the battalion then all service numbers would be x/xxxxxx and they're not.

What was his name? Sorry to be nosey but it might help. When I did a search for that number I got several different soldiers who seemed to have that number, Trying to pin down the right one. Thanks.

This is the transcription of his medal card - not sure if you have seen that. He actually served in several regiments and had several numbers - I think this sometimes happened when units were merged following, sadly, large numbers of deaths.
1637853987401.png

Back