• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Serck

The Serck building has units & offices for letting short or long term, work has been carried out on the heating and a new steam generator has been installed. Len.

I was only there (Greet) as an Apprentice for a couple of years from 1970 and seemed to spend most of my time getting my fingers bandaged at the little first aid room down by the main gate (I liked the nurse!).

I remember the heads of the Apprentice shop were Doug Smith and Mr Grantham (Don I think). I will never forget the time they took all 12-14 of us to Hay Bluff just outside of Hay on Wye for a camping weekend, miles of orienteering carrying huge Territorial Army back pack radios, camp fires, washing in the stream, playing a form of British Bulldogs at night on the open bluff with them in a Ford transit with full beam on and startled apprentices running for cover, all absolutely hilarious and a weekend I have never forgotten, in fact I have visited the area several times and still love it.

Happy days

Dave Carr

Attached is a list of names for the "Serck Foremans Group" dating back to 1952 / 1953.
They held an annual Dinner and Concert, and this list is from the back page of the menu for the fifth one which took place on 6th March 1953 at the "White Horse Hotel" Congreave Street.
This was for foremen only and selected guests probably from upper management and no ladies apart from Iris Evans Comedienne and Katrina listed a "Soubrette" as part of the entertainment.
In later years this event seems to have changed to an in house event with entertainment provided by group members themselves and held in the canteen.
My father Gilbert PLANT (Known as Gilly at home but Bert at work and sometimes Joe down the pigeon club) worked for Serck from the mid 1930's to late 1960's.

Lovely reading these comments concerning Serck Radiators - later Serck Heat Transfer. I started at the Serck Tubes in 1968, later transferring to Serck Heat Transfer sometime in the early 1970s. I remember Johnny Gill well as he was my foreman when I worked on the heavy-duty soldering section. Lovely man as I remember. Also, I remember Fred Whale who was the Works Convener when I did a spell as a Shop Steward. I left there in 1978 as a result of our department being put on short-time working. Lovely days and wonderful memories. I was born in Bertha Road, Greet so these companies were on my doorstep. Apart from the Serck their were many other well known companies based in and around Greet but, sadly, all now gone in the name of progress.

My Dad, Jim Littleford, worked at for over 25 years and did collect his gold watch (which I still have in its box), he was a tube drawer. I think he was there from about 1948. He would have enjoyed reading this thread and remembering the names. I recall him coming home each day with his bag and sandwich container, there was always a cloth in the bag which seemed to have bits of metal shaving in it and smelled of oil. I imagine many people will remember this factory smell. I also sort of remember going to a childrens Christmas party arranged by Serk. All the best - Peter Littleford

I too remember going to the Christmas parties from The Serck, though I've no firm idea if I had family connections with the company or not, I just remember enjoying myself every year. Family names were Mason (Grandma) and Jones (Mom, and my late Dad). I suspect it was my Mom who worked there though. I'm pretty sure we used to go to the panto in town each year care of the company as well, either through them or through Silas Hyde, Greet.... saw the likes of The Bachelors, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Freddie & The Dreamers, Edmund Hockridge.... This would be around 1958 onwards I guess as I still lived in Percy Road until then, just. My cousin tells me my Gran, Ethel Mason (known as 'Mrs M') was a charlady at Silas Hyde, serving tea in the boardroom and general office cleaning there, her brother-in-law Charlie Howell was commisionaire at the Airflo opposite Silas Hyde. Any memories gladly shared.... Kindest regards, Fairport

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am trying to search for information of my birth father who I believed worked here in the 1960s. He would have been in his late forties at that time and his name was OSEPH HENRY LUNNON. He died in 1975 at John Taylor hospice. Information gratefully received.

Hello, I had an uncle who worked at the Serck through the 50'and 60's. His name was George Birch and he lived on Tyndale road, Tysley, anyone remember him?

I was only there (Greet) as an Apprentice for a couple of years from 1970 and seemed to spend most of my time getting my fingers bandaged at the little first aid room down by the main gate (I liked the nurse!).

I remember the heads of the Apprentice shop were Doug Smith and Mr Grantham (Don I think). I will never forget the time they took all 12-14 of us to Hay Bluff just outside of Hay on Wye for a camping weekend, miles of orienteering carrying huge Territorial Army back pack radios, camp fires, washing in the stream, playing a form of British Bulldogs at night on the open bluff with them in a Ford transit with full beam on and startled apprentices running for cover, all absolutely hilarious and a weekend I have never forgotten, in fact I have visited the area several times and still love it.

Happy days

Dave Carr
Yes it was Don Grantham

I was there as a Commercial Apprentice from 1968 to 1972. I was offered an extension as a sandwich graduate (I think that was the name) but I foolishly turned it down because I had been convinced that I’d always been known as ‘an apprentice.

There was only one other CA that year, Stephen Ewing. At a party he met a girl called Karen, I think and was smitten. I remember that were inseparable.

Don was a lovely chap but Dougie could be a bas***d. In retrospect he was just doing his job.

Last edited:
Other memories

I worked in the accounts departments of Radiators and Tubes.

In Radiators there was Les Hooper, Jim Sargeant (always down the bookies), in Costing. Edna and Leslie in Purchasing. I got teased rotten. Gee I was so green back then.

There was young female clerk there who had great legs. All the guys would be cajoling her to wear an alleged very short miniskirt she was rumoured to have. One day we found out it was not alleged. Nothing seedy or untoward about it in those days.

Last edited:
Other memories

I worked in the accounts departments of Radiators and Tubes.

In Radiators there was Les Hooper, Jim Sargeant (always down the bookies), in Costing. Edna and Leslie in Purchasing. I got teased rotten. Gee I was so green back then.

There was young clerk there who had great legs. All the guys would be cajoling her to wear an alleged very short miniskirt she was rumoured to have. One day we found out it was alleged. Nothing seedy or untoward about it in those days.

When I got transferred to Tubes Accounts most of the staff were attending B’ham Crown Court as witnesses in the trial of an ex-colleague who had been paying for false invoices he had put through the purchase ledger. I think much of the time it was just me and the Financial Director - Frank Stansfield. A PNE fan he was a lovely gentlemen nearing his retirement and he made me feel at ease in his company when he must have realised I felt intimidated in his company. Remember in those days there was a big divide in the management. So young then.

Last edited:

Happy days

Dave Carr
I was an Apprentice from 1976-1982, and yes Doug and Don were there then Morris WIlliams came and a few things changed. We too went to Hay on Wye for the camping expedition and orienteering expedition then into a pub for a pint, remember on the Saturday Night we pilled into the old Ford Transit with benches for seats, we ended up in some Pub/club and got rat arsed, turned into a fight and in the end we had to run back to the Transit, Morris was there with his Alsatian dog in one hand and swinging a chain in the other, never ran so fast and think Doug Smith was the driver to get a fast getaway... was a laugh.
I can remember being asked in my 2nd year to work on sectionalising a Concorde Cooler so it could be displayed at the Farnborough Air Show 1978, and I got to go down for the Industry days. I can remember a photo in the Serck Magazine with me at Farnborough on the Serck Stand, did have a copy but along the years its been lost.
From my Apprenticeship I went on to gain a Degree in Mechanical Eng. & Computer Aided Design also HNC in Electrical Architecture, That Apprenticeship gave a good few lads and ladies a great start in life, even the MD a bloke by the name of Cook (can't remember his first name) was a great bloke, when I got injured once, he sent his driver to pick me up in his Jag as I was on crutches.

I was an Apprentice from 1976-1982, and yes Doug and Don were there then Morris WIlliams came and a few things changed. We too went to Hay on Wye for the camping expedition and orienteering expedition then into a pub for a pint, remember on the Saturday Night we pilled into the old Ford Transit with benches for seats, we ended up in some Pub/club and got rat arsed, turned into a fight and in the end we had to run back to the Transit, Morris was there with his Alsatian dog in one hand and swinging a chain in the other, never ran so fast and think Doug Smith was the driver to get a fast getaway... was a laugh.
I can remember being asked in my 2nd year to work on sectionalising a Concorde Cooler so it could be displayed at the Farnborough Air Show 1978, and I got to go down for the Industry days. I can remember a photo in the Serck Magazine with me at Farnborough on the Serck Stand, did have a copy but along the years its been lost.
From my Apprenticeship I went on to gain a Degree in Mechanical Eng. & Computer Aided Design also HNC in Electrical Architecture, That Apprenticeship gave a good few lads and ladies a great start in life, even the MD a bloke by the name of Cook (can't remember his first name) was a great bloke, when I got injured once, he sent his driver to pick me up in his Jag as I was on crutches.

Great memories,

I should've added that on the Saturday walking Hay Bluff we bumped into a party of girls doing a similar outward bound type thing, of course we young lads didn't have the courage to speak up but Don Grantham went up to the leader and just like conducting an army exercise arranged for us all to meet up in the pub in Hay on Wye that night - what a guy!!!!

Other names I remember were John Chapman, David Collins, Michael Higgins, Brian Smith, Micky Gallagher, Lindsay Owens, anyone remember them?????

Photo is myself in the jacket with Brian and Michael - long time ago now!

Dave Carr

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-10 at 21.17.17.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-10 at 21.17.17.png
    859.8 KB · Views: 23
Back