• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Serck

My dad Stan Rice worked at the Serck. He was in the fishing club there and I used to go along on the contests and either watch him or go up and down the bank and find out what everyone was catching and go back and tell dad. A couple of the names I remember was Ronnie Heath, and he had a brother who worked there aswell and a guy called, ??? Gossage. Dad worked there from the middle 50's up till he died in 1971. I also went to a few of the Christmas parties....
My Dad is Bill Gossage & he is convinced that the fishing club shut because he'd cost them too much in prize money :)))

I was in the fishing club when I was an Apprentice, 1976 - 1982, Kenny Giles was there too, he gave me loads of great tips and gave me a couple of rods/poles and reels (Shakespeare of course), as he was their "front man".

I was in the fishing club when I was an Apprentice, 1976 - 1982, Kenny Giles was there too, he gave me loads of great tips and gave me a couple of rods/poles and reels (Shakespeare of course), as he was their "front man".
Oh, I can remember Dad mentioning Kenny Giles. Do you know if there are any photo's on here? I see mention of photos but don't seem to be able to find them? Can I ask your name to see if Dad remembers? He does have Alzheimers unfortunately, but most of his conversations are based around the Serck.

Hello I'm not sure if anyone can help. I'm trying to locate if my mum had a pension with Serck. She worked there between 1979 to 1988 Greet, Birmingham. I just need the name of the company managing Serck pensions. I know Honeywell maybe in the mix but not sure. Thank you

Hello I'm not sure if anyone can help. I'm trying to locate if my mum had a pension with Serck. She worked there between 1979 to 1988 Greet, Birmingham. I just need the name of the company managing Serck pensions. I know Honeywell maybe in the mix but not sure. Thank you
You can find some information via the HMRC website, google find old pensions and that will give you a link to the right area on HMRC, all you will need is her National Insurance number.. hope this helps.

I was engineering manager at Serck when Honeywell took them over and destroyed them. I was in the job I had wanted all my working life, and still do work for Serck Heat Exchange even now in my 70's. I still have most of the Serck library stashed away because I couldn't bear to throw it in the skip as instructed. The company may have gone but the name lives on. I attach a copy of an historic Serck brochure set of photos for your enjoyment

Attachments

• AV1.jpg
    AV1.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IR1.jpg
    IR1.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IR2.jpg
    IR2.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IR3.jpg
    IR3.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 22
  • MAR1.jpg
    MAR1.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 20
  • S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 19
  • S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 19
  • S3.jpg
    S3.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 19
  • S4.jpg
    S4.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 17
  • S5.jpg
    S5.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 17
  • S6.jpg
    S6.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 19
  • S7.jpg
    S7.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 16
  • S8.jpg
    S8.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 14
  • S9.jpg
    S9.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 14
  • S10.jpg
    S10.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 17
  • S11.jpg
    S11.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 18
  • S12.jpg
    S12.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 20
  • S13.jpg
    S13.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 21
  • S14.jpg
    S14.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 20
  • S15.jpg
    S15.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 20
  • S16.jpg
    S16.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 19
  • S17.jpg
    S17.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 16
  • S18.jpg
    S18.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 17
  • S19.jpg
    S19.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 22
  • S20.jpg
    S20.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 22
  • S21.jpg
    S21.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 20
  • S22.jpg
    S22.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 19
  • S23.jpg
    S23.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 17
  • S24.jpg
    S24.jpg
    675.7 KB · Views: 16
  • S25.jpg
    S25.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 14
  • S26.jpg
    S26.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 15
  • S27.jpg
    S27.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 15
  • S28.jpg
    S28.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 15
  • S29.jpg
    S29.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 15
  • S30.jpg
    S30.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 14
  • S31.jpg
    S31.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 14
  • S32.jpg
    S32.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 14
  • S33.jpg
    S33.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 15
  • S34.jpg
    S34.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 17
  • S35.jpg
    S35.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 18
  • S36.jpg
    S36.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 16
  • SEC1.jpg
    SEC1.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 18
  • S37.jpg
    S37.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 17
  • SEC2.jpg
    SEC2.jpg
    677.8 KB · Views: 17
  • TR1.jpg
    TR1.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 21
I was engineering manager at Serck when Honeywell took them over and destroyed them. I was in the job I had wanted all my working life, and still do work for Serck Heat Exchange even now in my 70's. I still have most of the Serck library stashed away because I couldn't bear to throw it in the skip as instructed. The company may have gone but the name lives on. I attach a copy of an historic Serck brochure set of photos for your enjoyment
Welcome to the Forum Andy.............Great job with these photos!

Great. Thanks Andy.

Would anyone happen to have any photos of the factory buildings from mid to late 40s? I've done a search but can't find anything
2nd random question were there any buildings with letters on the front?

Thank you

I was only there (Greet) as an Apprentice for a couple of years from 1970 and seemed to spend most of my time getting my fingers bandaged at the little first aid room down by the main gate (I liked the nurse!).

I remember the heads of the Apprentice shop were Doug Smith and Mr Grantham (Don I think). I will never forget the time they took all 12-14 of us to Hay Bluff just outside of Hay on Wye for a camping weekend, miles of orienteering carrying huge Territorial Army back pack radios, camp fires, washing in the stream, playing a form of British Bulldogs at night on the open bluff with them in a Ford transit with full beam on and startled apprentices running for cover, all absolutely hilarious and a weekend I have never forgotten, in fact I have visited the area several times and still love it.

Happy days

Dave Carr
Hi Do you remember the phone number (that replaced VIC 0531). I just can’t put my finger on it.

Attached is a list of names for the "Serck Foremans Group" dating back to 1952 / 1953.
They held an annual Dinner and Concert, and this list is from the back page of the menu for the fifth one which took place on 6th March 1953 at the "White Horse Hotel" Congreave Street.
This was for foremen only and selected guests probably from upper management and no ladies apart from Iris Evans Comedienne and Katrina listed a "Soubrette" as part of the entertainment.
In later years this event seems to have changed to an in house event with entertainment provided by group members themselves and held in the canteen.
My father Gilbert PLANT (Known as Gilly at home but Bert at work and sometimes Joe down the pigeon club) worked for Serck from the mid 1930's to late 1960's.
How do I view the list?

Some years ago the forum was hacked, and as a result we lost all the images. Many have been replaced, The original poster is still a member and did access the site just before christmas, so he may view your request and repost, either at the original place or with a new post. You could send him a personal message ( conversation via envelope symbol at top of page) asking if that was possible

Good evening all,
My name is Gary Lewis and after leaving school l worked for the company during the 1970's & 1980's, firstly as a general office clerk in the Seeleys Road main office block, my duties included delivering the post across the Greet site (both sides of the Warwick Road) and then later l worked as a Progress Chaser and then wages booking clerk for the Aircraft Equipment Division.

The reason for making contact is that l'm putting the finishing touches to a 45 minute video about my time there, in particular with the Aircraft Equipment Division (AED) l was back then and still am a keen aviation enthusiast so found it fascinating that Serck had produced radiators and oil coolers for some of the most famous aircraft in British aviation history ...Spitfire, Mosquito, Lancaster & Hawker Typhoon to name but a few and were continuing to do so when l was there for aircraft the likes of the Harrier jump jet and Concorde.
I was rarely without a camera and tape cassette recorder at work so have a number of photographs and even recordings within the factory of some of the people in conversation who worked there (possibly the only ones to exist ?)
Its a project l have been meaning to get done for a number of years now and recently l thought that if l leave it much longer there would be very few people out there left to show and share it with.
The video includes me returning to the old Serck site to see what if anything remains.I normally post my local history videos on YouTube, but was wondering when complete if attaching the link to the film on this forum would be of any interest ?
I look forward to your responses. Thank you

hi gary and welcome...your video sounds most interesting and yes please post the link to it when finished....

lyn

Hi all. I worked at Serck from 1970-1980. I worked with Bill Brown and it was Maurice Woodhams over the apprentices. My name was Carol Winters.

Hi all. I worked at Serck from 1970-1980. I worked with Bill Brown and it was Maurice Woodhams over the apprentices. My name was Carol Winters.

Hi Carol
Great that you were there for part of the time l was (1975- 1982) so a chance to relate maybe, then BTR took over and a lot of us were sent packing unfortunately as l really enjoyed my time at Serck, or Serck Heat Transfer it was at that stage.

I started in the Post Room located in the main office block at the end of Seeleys Road, working with the likes of Hilda Walker and Ernie Miles, l spent a lot of my early time there delivering the post to both the offices and factory units either side of the Warwick Road so can probably recall more departments and names from the past than most (I really must list them all at some point).

I do remember the Personnel and Apprentices Dept being located on the left hand side as you entered the main drive covered way, with the Security check point, Telephone switchboard Room and surgery on the right.
John Nottingham was Personnel manager, with l think Don Granthan and Doug Smith over the Apprentices.
I can recall Christine Hague being one of the secretaries around that time.
I then moved to the Aircraft Equipment Division where l stayed till the end.

The film l'm working on will l'm sure bring back some memories for you (do you remember the canteen ran by Harold Newman?)
l look forward to hearing back from you.

Gary

Hi Carol
Great that you were there for part of the time l was (1975- 1982) so a chance to relate maybe, then BTR took over and a lot of us were sent packing unfortunately as l really enjoyed my time at Serck, or Serck Heat Transfer it was at that stage.

I started in the Post Room located in the main office block at the end of Seeleys Road, working with the likes of Hilda Walker and Ernie Miles, l spent a lot of my early time there delivering the post to both the offices and factory units either side of the Warwick Road so can probably recall more departments and names from the past than most (I really must list them all at some point).

I do remember the Personnel and Apprentices Dept being located on the left hand side as you entered the main drive covered way, with the Security check point, Telephone switchboard Room and surgery on the right.
John Nottingham was Personnel manager, with l think Don Granthan and Doug Smith over the Apprentices.
I can recall Christine Hague being one of the secretaries around that time.
I then moved to the Aircraft Equipment Division where l stayed till the end.

The film l'm working on will l'm sure bring back some memories for you (do you remember the canteen ran by Harold Newman?)
l look forward to hearing back from you.

Gary
Yes i can remember the canteen and the cheese and onion cobs from the vending machines. Also the works, staff and management canteen used to get in the management canteen with Alan Lewis from the works engineers department run by Jimmy Rooke

Hi

I've just registered on this forum as a new member. I have an old Serck radiator and wondered if there was any former employees on here who might be able to tell me what its off ? If its inappropriate of me to ask this on here then I apologise.

TIA

Phil

hi gary and welcome...your video sounds most interesting and yes please post the link to it when finished....

lyn

Hello, l will re-introduce myself. My name is Gary Lewis and for the last 18 months or so l have been making a video about the company Serck who were based in Greet near Birmingham.

I worked for the company's Aircraft Equipment Division during the 1970's & 1980's.
The video shows me returning to the site of the old Serck factory for the first time in 40 years for a nostalgic trip down memory lane to try and finally solve an aviation related mystery.

I will attach the video, if you have any memories relating to Serck or can even solve the mystery l would love to hear from you. I hope you enjoy watching the video. Thank you. Gary

Last edited:
My husband worked at Serck from 1974 when it was in Greet, until his retirement in 2013 when it was called Meggitt and was in Wharf Lane Tyseley. He was an inspector Terry Moyens.

My husband worked at Serck from 1974 when it was in Greet, until his retirement in 2013 when it was called Meggitt and was in Wharf Lane Tyseley. He was an inspector Terry Moyens.

Great to hear from you, thanks for taking the time to comment. I hope l'm remembering the right 'Terry' here. The Terry Moyens l remember worked as part of the Inspection Department in Serck's Aircraft Equipment Division based in Greet, his boss was George Nash?
Terry had blonde hair and was part of the works cricket team as their wicket keeper and l played against him several times me being part of the Office cricket team, his name is on the cricket scores cards l have too, l do have a photo somewhere of Terry playing cricket.
I think he also briefly appears in our new Serck video posted recently - the link is 3 messages above this.
If l'm talking about the right person here please let me know?
Thanks, Gary.

Terry was a Pratt and Witney rep also. He had a special stamp to sign off parts for aircraft. If he was not completely satisfied they were good enough he would not let them go.

Back