• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Serck

what a wonderful video you have put together gary...thank goodness you always had a camera or tape recorder to hand ..now all we need is for any of the old workmates or family of them to come forward and hear the voices of themselves and how wonderful that you were able to pay your respects to sergeant cecil beechey who gave his life for our country at the tender age of 22...

lyn

Last edited:
Yes Terry worked with George when Serck was at Greet. And did play - or try to- cricket. Also worked with Mike Deeley. Later his boss was Ian Drew. Terry retired in 2013

I knew Mike Deeley too, can l ask if you have watched the Serck video we made and that's been posted on here, as Terry is in it (albeit briefly)....and if you know of any of Terry's old work mates that are still around? l would love to hear from anyone l worked with at Serck and is featured in the video. I worked at the Serck Greet site from 1975 - 1982, before l, along with a lot of others, were unfortunately made redundant when taken over by BTR. Terry had an incredibly long run there to have only retired in 2013, so he could fill in a lot of gaps after I had left. I look forward to hearing from you again. Gary

what a wonderful video you have put together gary...thank goodness you always had a camera or tape recorder to hand ..now all we need is for any of the old workmates or family of them to come forward and hear the voices of themselves and how wonderful that you were able to pay your respects to sergeant cecil beechey who gave his life for our country at the tender age of 22...

lyn

Hi Lyn

Pleased you enjoyed the video, in the last 18 months during its making there were times were l thought it would never get finished. Bill Lane, my old boss featured and heard in the video use to say to me "you and that bloody tape recorder and camera Gary why on earth do you want to record such every day happenings?"...my reply was "Well one day Bill it won't be everyday happenings and you will become famous" the look he use to give me. Since posting the video l have found out that Bill Lane passed away some 20 years ago after talking to his old neighbour who still lives in Greet and must be in his 90's now, and only yesterday spoke to Bill's neice, who can't believe the story of the video and that they would be hearing Bill's voice again after all this time...l'm almost certain the recordings l made at the factory around 1980 are unique. Yes it would be amazing to actually get to meet some of them again, problem is l'm 64 now and was probably the youngest there at the time, making anyone else now between 75-100 years old if still with us...its not impossible l know, and l still live in hope. Will keep you posted regardless. Thanks. Gary

Unfortunately Terry died in 2018 he would have loved to have seen this video and maybe could have helped. He was Pratt and Whitney trainee as in photo 1, he went to America with Ian Drew can’t remember when. I have a folder of his Supplier Quality Assurance Process Manual Certification Training with loads of his individual advice, also a medal from Pratt and Widney of his International Quality Representative. I also have a Supplier Qualtu Training and Development Card that states Records Falsification. If Terry had knowing passed off any part that had lead to death he would have been imprisoned for life fined $1,ooo,ooo and firm fined $20,000,000. I have these documents if you are interested in them. I know Terry would have liked them to come to some use. If you would like to call me I can give you my mobile number.

Attachments

• FAB3BF08-7286-498F-A7C8-5047621488E4.jpeg
    FAB3BF08-7286-498F-A7C8-5047621488E4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 9E9EE7FC-3307-4F52-BA55-18E55E4871F3.jpeg
    9E9EE7FC-3307-4F52-BA55-18E55E4871F3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • D27E0389-FF7D-4F57-89FE-4339C7B75E1B.jpeg
    D27E0389-FF7D-4F57-89FE-4339C7B75E1B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • E0A42168-49BF-4FE6-866D-F3873EE03FCC.jpeg
    E0A42168-49BF-4FE6-866D-F3873EE03FCC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • D22B4C3F-AC2F-4905-9081-CDF6C83AA154.jpeg
    D22B4C3F-AC2F-4905-9081-CDF6C83AA154.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
Unfortunately Terry died in 2018 he would have loved to have seen this video and maybe could have helped. He was Pratt and Whitney trainee as in photo 1, he went to America with Ian Drew can’t remember when. I have a folder of his Supplier Quality Assurance Process Manual Certification Training with loads of his individual advice, also a medal from Pratt and Widney of his International Quality Representative. I also have a Supplier Qualtu Training and Development Card that states Records Falsification. If Terry had knowing passed off any part that had lead to death he would have been imprisoned for life fined $1,ooo,ooo and firm fined $20,000,000. I have these documents if you are interested in them. I know Terry would have liked them to come to some use. If you would like to call me I can give you my mobile number.
Sorry to hear about Terry, he always seemed jolly and approachable, as he looks in the photo at 4 mins 17 seconds in the video...and yes l'm sure he would have been on hand and happy to help in the making of the video. You mentioned Mike Deeley, Mike is also in that photo, he's the only person sitting down in the dark jumper. l still live in hope that l will be able to track down and get to talk to someone l worked with at Serck, do you know of anyone who is still around from the Serck days?
Regarding giving me your telephone number, l will send you a private message so we can share contact email details in that way if that's O.K.?
Thanks again for getting in touch. Gary

Back