• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Serck

RobertS

master brummie
Hello there folks.

Somewhere I have seen some photo's of Serck workers and the inside of the factory. Could have sworn it was on the Webring but don't seem able to find any more.

Could someone give me a clue as to where they might be on the web?

thanks

RobertS, If you click search at the top of the page and type in Serck three threads on the firm will come up two with pic's.

Pom :angel:

Thanks for the suggestion but

Thanks for the suggestion but thats the first thing I did. Then I tried all the spelling variations and so on.

The photo's Ive seen are of men working, playing cards in a break and a thread conversation about who they were. I thought I should have copied the photos when I first saw them but didn't!

So no further forward but thanks.

My husband worked at Serck Radiator until 1977 on the design of Concord. We were fortunate enough to see it's first public flight at the Paris Air Show. :)Mo

Thanks for that Sakura. I'm looking for the photos as I had an uncle John Gill and his son Paul who worked there. I mentioned the photo's to Paul and he said he would love to see them if I could find them again! Alas I forgot to bookmark the site.

Regards

Hello there

I'm looking for photo's and memories of The Serck.

(Part of the amily had three generations working there at the same time!)

Can anyone help?

Robert,

I don't have any photos I'm afraid, hopefully someone on here will. I used to know people that worked there. It was on the Warwick Rd. Greet Birmingham.

Ann

Roberts,
i started work at the Serck when i left school and i worked there until i was 24 i have some photos of the plate shop i will sort tham out whot were the names of you family that worked there.

hi Roberts,
at the moment i don't recognize the sur name, two photos taken in the plate shop i have more with fellers iworked we on them.

Hello Frederick

Nice photos, would love to see the people.

I only know where the youngest worked (apart from war work). (He is about 52 now and worked as a metal man mixing the alloys for soldered joints)

Thanks for the photo's

Thanks Frederick

His dad John Gill was there throughout the war. He was also a footballer who played for Birmingham City and Coventry. During and before that, his grandfather James (Jimmy?) Gill worked there. At one time Paul, John and Jimmy were at the company at the same time. Big company so there is still a chance you didn't know them!

My husband worked at Serck when you were there, Frederick. One of the projects was on Concord. Mo

Robert,

A Gill (can't remember his first name), who played for Birmingham, quite a few years back, used to live a few doors up from where I am now in Sheldon.
Alan Drew was the chap I used to know who worked at Serck.

Ann

when i worked in the plate shop we made heat extangers for the Polaris and Trident submarines.

Roberts,
you are right alot of people worked there and i only new the people i was in contact with. some of the men i worked with can you get hold of any photos.

Last edited:
Thanks Frederick

I will show the photos to my cousin and see if he can have another look for some snaps. Attached is the only one I have of my uncle. The text says he is openning a new building and has 41 years service (In case the thumbnail comes out too small).

Robert what year was the newspaper cutting please!!! My grandfather worked at Serck, Greet....don't know what section though...he probably would have retired in the 60's, my husband now works for Serck...like everything all the Serck factories seem to be transferring to one main part...Manchester Serck has just closed.

Hello Loisand

I don't know the date of the cutting but my uncle died in 1983 age 67.

I'll show my working out in case its wrong!

Supposing he retired at 65 in 1981 the photo is prior to that. If he had 41 years service in he could have started there from school. Say he left school at 15 he could have started at the Serck in 1931 (Know he worked through the war years). 1931 plus 41 would give us 1972.

The best date for the photo would be thus be 1972 although it could be between 72 and 81. Wonder if anyone remebers a new building being openned in the 1970's.

Last edited:
Every Christmas after my grandad retired he would have a superb hamper from Serck....yummy food in it, when he died they sent a lovely floral tribute....that type of thing seems to have stopped now in factories...I suppose it's what you call going forward!!!

Did you notice on the caption it says he started to work there in 1932 and when the picture was taken he had been there 48 years? He must have been 16 when he started there as it says he is 64, maybe went to Grammar School or a Technical school for a couple of years.
So it looks as though the picture was in 1980, just after my husband left when we came to Canada in 1977. I will ask him if he remembers the building opening before he left. Mo

My dad Stan Rice worked at the Serck. He was in the fishing club there and I used to go along on the contests and either watch him or go up and down the bank and find out what everyone was catching and go back and tell dad. A couple of the names I remember was Ronnie Heath, and he had a brother who worked there aswell and a guy called, ??? Gossage. Dad worked there from the middle 50's up till he died in 1971. I also went to a few of the Christmas parties....

We used to use SERCK RADIATORS on our G.E.C. Witton built gas turbine generators back in 60s.
James Purslow Head of supply & contract was a good pal of one of the directors ( one of the perks of the job he had many a match day out at the BLUES games)

Quote off frederick....
Roy c,
i worked in the radiator shop for a while and Billie Gossage was the forman in that shop.

Thanks for that reply frederick, it just brought back such good memories, Dad was a great fisherman and Billie Gossage was also a great fisherman and it was usually one of these two who won the fishing contests. When did you work there?

Back