• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sending video's by e.mail

Patty

master brummie
O K then I have been trying all week to figure out how to send video's I have taken on my camera to someone on an e.mail. It wouldn't go so I fathomed it was to big. I will put the details on in a mo. I had 2 sites i was told to use, DROP SEND and SEND SPACE. I registered and followed the instruction (I think I did it correct?) and after I had browsed and upload the video I wanted it started but when I looked at the bottom of the page it said upload time 3hrs ------ I thought that cant be right as it is only 1min 27sec long. I left it for 15 mins and it had only moved 1% so I cancelled it and tried the other site, same there. I did upload a video that was 53secs on Face Book last night but that took over half an hour, and I don't want to put to many on there.
Here is the details
I have a Dell Inspiron 1000 about 5yrs old, speed 48.0 Mbps
signal strength excellent
The video is 1min 27secs long, 98.2MB

do you think I need a new laptop?
I am dying to be able to send my daughter that lives in Istanbul some video's PLEASE HELP ME
Got to be easy steps though, I wont let it beat me with your help.

View attachment 32213

Patty

I don't think your laptop is the problem.

I don't know what speed your internet connection is, but if it uses a BT line it will be much slower for uploading like this than for downloading.

If the uploading speed is say 250 kBit/s then this file will take the best part of an hour under ideal conditions. But Sunday afternoon is not ideal, as a lot of other people are using the internet too.

If you try it first thing tomorrow then you will probably find it is faster - this applies whether you have a BT line or cable.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Patty, whatever method you choose, it's going to take time to upload. I use megaupload.com. One I uploaded yesterday was 228MB and took around 1 hour averaging about 60kB/s. So your <100MB file shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

Paul I am with Tiscali, i will have another go tommorrow, but will it take my daughter the same time to view it as I dont think she will wait that long?

i just thought it would take the same time as the video, silly me and I am a red head not blonde

Can you tell me if it isn't to complecated what happens then when I upload to one of these sites? perhaps then i will understand better, I need a book on it any suggestions

Patty I use Photobucket :), you can add them to a email, speed I`ll have to pass on that side :(

Patty

How long it takes to upload the file depends on how fast your internet connection is, as well as the file size. I hope your daughter has a fast connection - if she can download at the same speed as most people who have broadband here it will probably take her 10 mins or something like that. But if she has dial-up she won't be able to do it ...

Regards

Paul

Paul she has Broad band, I keep looking at my speed when I hold the arrow on the wireless connection in the task bar and it keeps altering every time i look, once it said 88Mbps now it's saying 24.0 Mbps i give up

Paul she has Broad band, I keep looking at my speed when I hold the arrow on the wireless connection in the task bar and it keeps altering every time i look, once it said 88Mbps now it's saying 24.0 Mbps i give up

Patty

That is the speed between your computer and your wireless router, i.e. inside your house only! The connection through the internet will be MUCH slower.

Paul

Just done a check off google and it said
Download 1368 Kbps
Upload 93 Kbps

bit of a differance although I dont understand what it means

Just done your one
Down 968
Upload 60
Not looking too good is it?
Would a new laptop make a differance or is it just Tiscali? What are you on and if I change is it easy, new broom and all that

It mainly comes down to how far you are from the phone exchange - changing to another ISP wouldn't make that much difference. But it should be faster early in the morning.

At 93 kBit/s it would take 2 hrs 20 mins to upload 98 MByte.

Upload = sending stuff to the internet off your computer
Download = taking stuff off the internet and saving on your computer

Paul

Thank for your patience Paul I do appreciate it, I think I will let you have rest now as sometimes I am like a dog with a bone and will go on for ever. I will let it all sink in know and perhaps give it a go tomorrow. the only trouble is if I remember right, cant think which one though it said I couldn't do anything else while I was uploading or it would break????? it's a long time to not use this

Hi Patty,
This was my speed when I just checked it. I'm using BT and this was from my 4 year old wireless laptop. I am using Linux but don't think this makes any difference.
Today 19:47 2417 kbps (302kB/s) 356 kbps (44.5kB/s)
I use https://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
Phil
:)

Thanks all, just poured myself a large Vodka and going to shut down and rest my brain. Bye

hi patty,

what is the filetype of the file? WMV/AVI?

the filesize can be drastically reduced by cnverting it into a different format.

The time it takes to upload sounds about right for your internet connection. It will take a lot less time to download the file.

Thanks
Keith

Hi Patty,
I just switched into Windows and downloaded something called DivX via the Computeractive site. It converted a 28.4Mb video down to 4.4Mb. I had the option of choosing to convert to a size suitable to be seen on a mobile phone. I played the video with several programs including VLC, it looked ok. Oher forum members might know of better converters, because DivX gave me lots of other features, which are useful, but which I didn't particularly want. Think I'll have a G & T after all that.:)

Patty, why not put the video files on a CD, write Holiday Photos on it with marker pen, put the CD in a cardboard sleeve and post it. The files can be copied off it into your daughters computer when the CD gets there. I've previously posted CD's simply placed inside greetings cards.:)

That is exactly what I thought of last night oldMohawk how strange is that, in fact I was just looking for a CD

Do you know Alf I have been known to be able to look into the future, you ask Jean !!!!!

Back