• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Selly oak police station court

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI GUYS ;
I Am just wondering whether or not if anybody recalls the police court in selly oak way back in 1923 ;
and if so could you tell me excactly where it was i can only imagine that at that time it would have been countryfied sure ;
from stories i have seen on here about the early years of selly oak and the farms ;
many thanks astonian;

Hello Astonian,
Not sure about 1923 but there was a police station in Selly Oak, on Bristol Rd. next door to the Co-op grocers.
It was almost on the corner of Oak Tree Lane. Almost coming out of Selly Oak, Going towards Northfield.
Hope this is of some help.
Betty Hopper.

HI Betty ;
Many thanks for your early replie to my request its a great start for my project my grand father research i am doing
on the police force whom came from gloucestershire around the early years to be in the birmingham police force
he transfered from glocestershire to birmingham ;whilst my other grand father was a judge whom moved to eversham from glocestershire
i beleive he could have been at piddock street as well and in digbeth he worked as well
when i was a nipper i recall seeing a long photograph on the office wall of my grad father which was taken in those years ;
it was on the office wall for decades right up until 1970 when he died and and then the place of aston cross was demoished
which was 237 park lane which is where now stands the aston cross traffic division stand its a long story as to why my mother or myself
did not retreive the oldphotograph ; owing to certain people ;whom may have it ;within the sibbling whom may have takenit as they dsposed of the property behind my mothers back as it was my mothers faher whom owned the property
but any way i am on the trail as one or two know i am ;best wishes astonian;;

HI Betty ;

i beleive he could have been at piddock street as well and in digbeth

Hi Alan,

If there was a court in Selly Oak it would have been at the police station which was adjacent to Oak Tree Lane and is now a probation office. He would not have been a Birmingham officar and workef at Piddock Street. This was in Staffordshire until the West Midlands Constaulary was formed in 1966. Birmingham Police remained, as such, until the present West Midlands came into being in 1974.

Chris (Old Boy)

The 1923 directory list as Out Station
Selly Oak (Walter Kitchen chief inspector)

same directory
Kitchen Walt Lewis police inspector 826 Bristol Road Selly Oak

HI GUYS ;
I Am just wondering whether or not if anybody recalls the police court in selly oak way back in 1923 ;
and if so could you tell me excactly where it was i can only imagine that at that time it would have been countryfied sure ;
from stories i have seen on here about the early years of selly oak and the farms ;
many thanks astonian;

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that courts were held in a pub on the Bristol Road, Selly Oak, cannot find any reference to it on the Internet so must have been in a book.

Colin

Hello Astonian, Just came across a site about a pub in Selly Oak. It is by a fella called , tiny. newbie, brummy He was stationed at Selly Oak police station so may be able to help you.
The site is called Oak pub..... Selly Oak # 6.

Hope I have got this right ???? Regards, Betty.

HI betty and chris [ old boy ]
many thanks for your info; from both of you ;
chris i have just recently made contact with the staffs force so i will get back in touch with my contact there
whom is in CID ; ivestagations ;
and betty also thanks for giving me info; afew years back i did do abit about the oak pub and the arms raid find ;
but like most of these threads and the history ones have all been swiped so they we can not go back to it ;
but any way bety ; many thanks ; Astonian;

Hello Astonian,
Sorry If I did not make myself clear but what I was trying to say was, Tinie, newbie brummie was a policeman stationed at Selly Oak Police Station so hopefully has some inf. ??
Betty.

Back