• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Selly Oak Hospital

On Oak Tree Lane in Selly Oak, the remaining red brick building has been converted into Busy Bees - Selly Oak Nursery.

It must have opened earlier this year in 2020.

The new housing at The Oak near Oak Tree Lane and Raddlebarn Road looks all complete from the bus.

Meanwhile this building is still visible on Oak Tree Lane.

Used to work in this building, the offices included 'wages & salaries' and the 'Expenses Dept.'
which i worked in. mh

Hi Speedy. Not a good experience, although hopefully you were well cared for in there.

Hi Janice. Good to hear they're keeping the listed buildings. The site is so vast, I doubt developers could make a convincing case for clearing the whole site, so that's promising. Viv.
hi viv
i thiought the building started out as a work house ?
im prob getting mixed up

I worked in those Raddlebarn Road offices from 1989 to 1994, the Expenses Dept. with
Ms.Andrea Round in charge, Wages & Salaries had Dave West in charge. We were eventually
transferred in the change of PCT NHS reforms, to West Heath Hospital, working in one of the
old converted wards. The offices in Raddlebarn Rd. were small and compact, there was an outlet
for smokers at the exit door on the front of the building. mh

Where was the Oak Tree?
I didn't know either but..

:(hi ladywood
selly oak will be closing next year and everything will be transfered to the new hospital, sadly selly oak hospital is to be demolished to make way for a new housing development, hope this clears things up for you
best wishes anniekei
How sad was my first reaction - lived for many years in Bournbrook - My second reaction was 'oh, no, not another housing development.......My third reaction was to be angry with the whole useless project. What an utter waste.

:(hi ladywood
selly oak will be closing next year and everything will be transfered to the new hospital, sadly selly oak hospital is to be demolished to make way for a new housing development, hope this clears things up for you
best wishes anniekei
Really stupid ideas seem to come often to the Birmingham planners....I just bet not many of them grew up in Selly Oak. I did and I am really cross/upset at the very idea of demolishing a perfectly good hospital just for a few more houses.... stupid idea.

Back